Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by wdn
Collinite 845 completely destroys Meguiar's Ultimate Wax. It is not even close.

My experience as well. 845 lasted at least twice as long for me in a midwest winter.

Used Ultimate Wax once and still have a nearly full bottle.

I DO like Ultimate Fast Finish though.

Originally Posted by HYUNDAIFAN0001
Originally Posted by wdn
Collinite 845 completely destroys Meguiar's Ultimate Wax. It is not even close.

Well it might be a destroyer...but doesn't come close to ease of application nor durability to Meg Ultimate.

MUW doesn't compare to Collinite in any respect...

Originally Posted by wdn
Collinite 845 has far better durability than the Meguiar's. People who are finding fault with Collinite and have not even tried it themselves? Not even sure how to react to that. Those are not opinions based on personal experience. I have tried both and now only use the Collinite. Meguiar's may well be the best thing on the shelf at Walmart.

...and yet there are plenty of us who have used both...and found the opposite assessment...that Collinite 845 (also know as "Collinite insulator") was the lesser of the two because its far more difficult to work with during the application process compared to Meguiar's Ultimate. Doing a simple search on this site hows there are plenty of posts reporting that same thing. The cost of the two products is similar, with Collinite being more difficult to obtain and slightly higher in cost is some markets.

On a scale of 1 to 10 for ease of use and application, Collinite would rank about a 7, and Meguiar's a 9.
On a scale of 1 to 10 for sustained durability/protection, Collinite would rank about a 9 and Meguiar's Ultimate a 9.

While that points to BOTH products actually being very good, it also simplifies the understanding of which one is the better product overall.

I don't know how you can say Meguiar's is easier to use than 845. The 845 wipes on and off with ease, takes absolutely no elbow grease whatsoever...

Originally Posted by grampi
I don't know how you can say Meguiar's is easier to use than 845. The 845 wipes on and off with ease, takes absolutely no elbow grease whatsoever...

I accounted for the Collinite added dust and extra elbow grease in its removal process on some surfaces. Meguiar's doesn't have those issues.

I accounted for the Collinite added dust and extra elbow grease in its removal process on some surfaces. Meguiar's doesn't have those issues.

Added dust? Collinite leaves NO dust, and like I said, it requires NO elbow grease to apply or remove regardless of the surface it's applied to...

Added dust? Collinite leaves NO dust, and like I said, it requires NO elbow grease to apply or remove regardless of the surface it's applied to...

Yeah I question that as well. I've never seen mention of Collinite dusting. I've read that it does haze back up after a few days once it is fully cured though.

Originally Posted by gizzsdad
845 only dusts when it's applied too thick

That's my understanding as well...however...applying it to thinly renders it having a shorter protection lifespan. Hard to succeed with that product.

That's my understanding as well...however...applying it to thinly renders it having a shorter protection lifespan. Hard to succeed with that product.

What?
It's really hard to apply a wax "too thinly."

9 times out of 10, if you didn't think you put on enough wax, you put on just the right amount.

If you think you've put on enough, you've used way too much...

The correct (and best, I might add) application process with Collinite 845 is to apply it super thin, ideally with a DA orbital. Applying any more provides no added benefit. It's how I apply it. No problems with durability.

Hard to succeed with that product??? Doing it the RIGHT way, it's hard to go wrong.

Article on AutoGeek on applying 845 for reference.

Now, I WILL say that unless you are familiar with your DA, and 845, it can be easy to put too much on. Megs Ultimate is definitely far more forgiving, especially for the detailing novice, and provides both a great shine, and decent durability. However, for someone who knows how to do it, 845 provides just as much shine, and much better durability. They both have their place.

Originally Posted by wdn
Collinite 845 has far better durability than the Meguiar's. People who are finding fault with Collinite and have not even tried it themselves? Not even sure how to react to that. Those are not opinions based on personal experience. I have tried both and now only use the Collinite. Meguiar's may well be the best thing on the shelf at Walmart.

...and yet there are plenty of us who have used both...and found the opposite assessment...that Collinite 845 (also know as "Collinite insulator") was the lesser of the two because its far more difficult to work with during the application process compared to Meguiar's Ultimate. Doing a simple search on this site hows there are plenty of posts reporting that same thing. The cost of the two products is similar, with Collinite being more difficult to obtain and slightly higher in cost is some markets.

On a scale of 1 to 10 for ease of use and application, Collinite would rank about a 7, and Meguiar's a 9.
On a scale of 1 to 10 for sustained durability/protection, Collinite would rank about a 9 and Meguiar's Ultimate a 9.

While that points to BOTH products actually being very good, it also simplifies the understanding of which one is the better product overall.

Finally a well-reasoned post that isn't just a snarky defense of your preferred product. I use 845 when I detail for friends or family and when it runs out I'll pick up ULW because there seems to be zero downside for a finish I won't be expected to maintain beyond that.
On my own cars I tend to use more boutiquey sealants but I like trying new products.
Best product I've ever used for longevity is still Menzerna/Jescar PowerLock. Best product I've ever used for shine is P21S Concours Look Wax (the amount of compliments I got when using that wax were absolutely unbelievable).
The amount of folks here who like Nu Finish with all the newer better stuff out there is perplexing but everyone's got to like something.

You seem to be the only in here who has any complaints about the Collinite...I think it could be operator error...

Originally Posted by gofast182
wdn said:

I use 845 when I detail for friends or family and when it runs out I'll pick up ULW because there seems to be zero downside for a finish I won't be expected to maintain beyond that.

The down side is it won't last as long. If you're doing the job anyway, why not use a better product?

Last edited:
The down side is it won't last as long. If you're doing the job anyway, why not use a better product?

Sorry...my experience is that Meguiar's Ultimate lasts as long as any other product used in recent years, including 845.

When using a DA for 845...you get dust...not so with Meguiar's. That's the only reason I consider 845 a great product, but 1 step below Meguiar's from actual use of both.

Applying it is easier than any other product as well, as a DA polisher can be used but is overkill. You can't go wrong with either product as far as durability.

Sorry...my experience is that Meguiar's Ultimate lasts as long as any other product used in recent years, including 845.

When using a DA for 845...you get dust...not so with Meguiar's. That's the only reason I consider 845 a great product, but 1 step below Meguiar's from actual use of both.

Applying it is easier than any other product as well, as a DA polisher can be used but is overkill. You can't go wrong with either product as far as durability.

That hasn't been my experience at all. NO Meguiar's product I've used, and I've used their Ultimate, lasts as long as the 845, and I've never had dust from the 845 no matter how it was applied...

That hasn't been my experience at all. NO Meguiar's product I've used, and I've used their Ultimate, lasts as long as the 845, and I've never had dust from the 845 no matter how it was applied...

I fully understand. In reality, we're talking about different experiences that include different application process steps and/or tools/materials, as well as climates, as well as densities of product used.

Most folks don't use a DA polisher for these products of course, so that's a variant.

In any case...having used both...either one does a very good job. I just prefer the ease of application experience with Meguiar's more, given the choice.

Happy detailing!

Go easy on him, the fumes from the Megs and/or the Chemical Guys Banana Spray detailer have gone to his head.
lol.gif

Those two products and Hyoooundays are the only things he likes.
lol.gif

Originally Posted by SatinSilver

Go easy on him, the fumes from the Megs and/or the Chemical Guys Banana Spray detailer have gone to his head.
lol.gif

Those two products and Hyoooundays are the only things he likes.
lol.gif

Naaah....there are a number of great products...and we all have our own "preferred ones".

Doesn't Megs Ultimate represent a more modern (improved) formulation than Collinite 845 ? ... Some people state that 845 will slightly stain certain types of exterior plastics molding , etc. found on newer vehicles where as Megs Ultimate does not .

My routine :

*Wash
*Clay
*Megs Ultimate Polish
*Megs Ultimate Wax

Do above 3X per year ; in between this routine I wash with Meg's Ultimate Wash every few weeks when possible , dry then apply Turtle Wax ICE spray wax on vehicle body and glass ...Seems to work well as a person can fit in with a busy lifestyle and isn't difficult for any of the steps either .

I apply 845 with a DA and I don't get dust, either.
I've yet to use a Meg's wax that lasts as long as 845 but I'm going to try this at some point since it's a newer formula than the ones I've used in the past.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back