Hard To Beat Meguiar's Ultimate Wax !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by slomo
Originally Posted by HYUNDAIFAN0001
Originally Posted by jimbrewer
A lot to be said for something you can get at K-Mart any day of the week.

Oh really....brands like Mothers, Chemical Guys, and other higher quality products are sold at Walmart. So much for that misjudgment.
whistle.gif

Originally Posted by 007
Can't help but notice that most reviews on waxes/ sealants are based on cars stored indoors vs. out. When it come to a climate like Florida besides the constant heat there is a LUV bug issue and there are limited products for outdoor protection. Although Meguiars Ultimate Wax may work well in other area it does NOT here. I used it for many years and never had it last more the 2-3 months outdoors even with prepping the paint. It did NOTHING to protect against the LUV bugs which eat
through the wax coating, then the paint. Once a friend told me about FK1000 it was like night and day. Finish lasted closer to 6 months outdoors in Florida and the LUV bug residue was minimal and easy to clean off. Well worth the money in my opinion! If you car is stored indoors anything carnuba wax is great.

That certainly makes some sense. After all...Florida's state bird is the mosquito.
lol.gif

Car exterior protection is best accomplished with a sealant product in contrast to a wax...the protection is better and lasts longer.

Meguiars Ultimate Wax (actually a sealant) does provide UV protection, but it's fair to say any product used on a vehicle stored outdoors will be severely pushed to its limits. Sitting outside most of the time in Arizona, Nevada, New Mexico, California, or Florida renders most car care products to a short-term protection live-cycle. Even some quality carnauba waxes break down when exposed daily to hot sun. It's a sad price to pay for living in hot places.

UV protection is an obvious must, and requires a more-frequent application of protection on a vehicle's exterior than in a more "normal" climate. Even so, very few products can sustain protection in 100+ degree weather over months.

Meguiars Ultimate Wax has "mostly" the same basic ingredients as the world standard Turtle Wax Super Hard Shell. Say something about the legendary Turtle Wax. Course Meguiars charges more than 7 times the price to market it. See most people think the more it costs, must be better. For $3.87, I would love to see anyone find a better wax than Turtle Wax Super Hard Shell. Can we all name the wax "nearly" every new wonder wax of the week is compared to? Look on utube, tons of these videos. The Turtle Wax ICE line has triple the main ingredients compared to Super Hard Shell. All are silicone waxes which are anti-water slash anti-moisture.

slomo

Not even close to turtle wax. Period. It's a very different technology. Easier to use. Last longer. Stronger water behavior. Honestly, tw isn't terrible, but there are several waxes/sealants I can think of that last longer, look better, etc. You make some pretty bold claims. They can be disproven. Have you used another wax?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BTLew81
Originally Posted by slomo
Originally Posted by jimbrewer
A lot to be said for something you can get at K-Mart any day of the week.

Oh really....brands like Mothers, Chemical Guys, and other higher quality products are sold at Walmart. So much for that misjudgment.
whistle.gif

Originally Posted by 007
Can't help but notice that most reviews on waxes/ sealants are based on cars stored indoors vs. out. When it come to a climate like Florida besides the constant heat there is a LUV bug issue and there are limited products for outdoor protection. Although Meguiars Ultimate Wax may work well in other area it does NOT here. I used it for many years and never had it last more the 2-3 months outdoors even with prepping the paint. It did NOTHING to protect against the LUV bugs which eat
through the wax coating, then the paint. Once a friend told me about FK1000 it was like night and day. Finish lasted closer to 6 months outdoors in Florida and the LUV bug residue was minimal and easy to clean off. Well worth the money in my opinion! If you car is stored indoors anything carnuba wax is great.

That certainly makes some sense. After all...Florida's state bird is the mosquito.
lol.gif

Car exterior protection is best accomplished with a sealant product in contrast to a wax...the protection is better and lasts longer.

Meguiars Ultimate Wax (actually a sealant) does provide UV protection, but it's fair to say any product used on a vehicle stored outdoors will be severely pushed to its limits. Sitting outside most of the time in Arizona, Nevada, New Mexico, California, or Florida renders most car care products to a short-term protection live-cycle. Even some quality carnauba waxes break down when exposed daily to hot sun. It's a sad price to pay for living in hot places.

UV protection is an obvious must, and requires a more-frequent application of protection on a vehicle's exterior than in a more "normal" climate. Even so, very few products can sustain protection in 100+ degree weather over months.

Meguiars Ultimate Wax has "mostly" the same basic ingredients as the world standard Turtle Wax Super Hard Shell. Say something about the legendary Turtle Wax. Course Meguiars charges more than 7 times the price to market it. See most people think the more it costs, must be better. For $3.87, I would love to see anyone find a better wax than Turtle Wax Super Hard Shell. Can we all name the wax "nearly" every new wonder wax of the week is compared to? Look on utube, tons of these videos. The Turtle Wax ICE line has triple the main ingredients compared to Super Hard Shell. All are silicone waxes which are anti-water slash anti-moisture.

slomo

Not even close to turtle wax. Period. It's a very different technology. Easier to use. Last longer. Stronger water behavior. Honestly, tw isn't terrible, but there are several waxes/sealants I can think of that last longer, look better, etc. You make some pretty bold claims. They can be disproven. Have you used another wax?

You might check out the SDS for each one. Sounds like you haven't looked at them. I hear what you are saying. The NEW Turtle Wax SHS formula is easier to apply and has more shine than the old formula. Now I'm wondering since it super easy to wipe off, will it last as long as the original. ?? Sure has a better shine than what I can remember. Course I've never put TW on the car I just applied it to. Maybe just the paint job.

slomo

Totally agree. Gross misrepresentations in that other post.

Even the pricing difference is highly exaggerated by that other poster. That's a common practice when facts are no where to be found.

Walmart sells Turtle Wax ICE paste was for $12.59. Meguiars Ultimate sells for $19.97. Apparently some people figure that's 7 times the cost for the Meguiars, but using grade school math...it's less than 60% more...certainly not 700%. Then again...one other poster implies that anything sold at a discount store is pure garbage, which as most people know...is entirely false.

A good fiction writer can't come up with some of these lame arguments.

Some people would find the $7 difference quite well worth it in terms of application ease, protection, and surface results.

Totally agree. Gross misrepresentations in that other post.

Even the pricing difference is highly exaggerated by that other poster. That's a common practice when facts are no where to be found.

Walmart sells Turtle Wax ICE paste was for $12.59. Meguiars Ultimate sells for $19.97. Apparently some people figure that's 7 times the cost for the Meguiars, but using grade school math...it's less than 60% more...certainly not 700%. Then again...one other poster implies that anything sold at a discount store is pure garbage, which as most people know...is entirely false.

A good fiction writer can't come up with some of these lame arguments.

Some people would find the $7 difference quite well worth it in terms of application ease, protection, and surface results.

I found for my needs on our 2005 Toyota Avalon that's parked outside 24/7 that Meguairs Ultimate lasts 1-2 weeks longer than Turtle Wax Ice. That's based on the slick feel when I touch the surface and water beading during a wash or rainstorm. Nonetheless, I use either since I get it from my local Wal Mart and depends what's on the shelf.

You can get the Gold Class Carnuba Plus at WM for $11 any day of the week. It's good stuff that's as cheap as Turtle Wax Ice and several dollars less than the Ultimate Wax according to whether you get paste or liquid.

Originally Posted by TheLawnRanger
You can get the Gold Class Carnuba Plus at WM for $11 any day of the week. It's good stuff that's as cheap as Turtle Wax Ice and several dollars less than the Ultimate Wax according to whether you get paste or liquid.

The Gold Class Carnauba is indeed good stuff...it just doesn't last as long as MUL in terms of protection. Same holds true of the ICE stuff.

Originally Posted by TheLawnRanger

The Gold Class Carnauba is indeed good stuff...it just doesn't last as long as MUL in terms of protection. Same holds true of the ICE stuff.

Gold Class is indeed great stuff with that deep wet shine but it was great when our cars were in a garage at home and during work.

Collinite 845 completely destroys Meguiar's Ultimate Wax. It is not even close.

Originally Posted by wdn

Would you agree that 845 is not as easy to apply as Meguiar's? Most people that use it professionally recommend two coats and note that the product will rehaze or sweat after a few days and will require a rewash.

I'd like to try it to see firsthand what all the fuss is about, but I've started using Klasse and am more than happy with it. My single bottles of AIO and KSG will last me well into the future. Maybe if a family member or friends needs their car done I'll use that as an excuse to buy and try 845.

Even though I know there are waxes and sealants that protect longer or look better (and I use them myself), I've found the Meguiar's Ultimate line to strike a good blend of performance, availability, and cost.

Originally Posted by wdn

Well it might be a destroyer...but doesn't come close to ease of application nor durability to Meg Ultimate.

I'll have to take a look at it in a few years. I've been a klasse AIO/SG user for years and it took me 15 yrs to get through a bottle of SG so I have to buy something new for spring '19. (I detail fall/spring).

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
I'll have to take a look at it in a few years. I've been a klasse AIO/SG user for years and it took me 15 yrs to get through a bottle of SG so I have to buy something new for spring '19. (I detail fall/spring).

You ain't lying there. I way overdid it with the KSG and had a helluva time removing it. Subsequent coats trying some of the "veteran" methods found online and it's my new favorite. I used so little product and it looks so good I don't know if I'll ever have to buy more.

Collinite 845 has far better durability than the Meguiar's. People who are finding fault with Collinite and have not even tried it themselves? Not even sure how to react to that. Those are not opinions based on personal experience. I have tried both and now only use the Collinite. Meguiar's may well be the best thing on the shelf at Walmart.

Where do you buy Collinite 845 as far as brick and mortar stores? I've seen it online and the price is comparable to Meguiars Ultimate Wax. I've looked at auto part stores and on the shelf at Walmart.

Originally Posted by wdn
Collinite 845 has far better durability than the Meguiar's. People who are finding fault with Collinite and have not even tried it themselves? Not even sure how to react to that. Those are not opinions based on personal experience. I have tried both and now only use the Collinite. Meguiar's may well be the best thing on the shelf at Walmart.

...and yet there are plenty of us who have used both...and found the opposite assessment...that Collinite 845 (also know as "Collinite insulator") was the lesser of the two because its far more difficult to work with during the application process compared to Meguiar's Ultimate. Doing a simple search on this site hows there are plenty of posts reporting that same thing. The cost of the two products is similar, with Collinite being more difficult to obtain and slightly higher in cost is some markets.

On a scale of 1 to 10 for ease of use and application, Collinite would rank about a 7, and Meguiar's a 9.
On a scale of 1 to 10 for sustained durability/protection, Collinite would rank about a 9 and Meguiar's Ultimate a 9.

While that points to BOTH products actually being very good, it also simplifies the understanding of which one is the better product overall.

*Collinite 845 = 1979 ?
Originally Posted by Speak2Mountain
Welcome to 1979

Last edited:
Originally Posted by sasilverbullet
I've been a staunch Meguiars fan for many years but just recently applied this to both my Hondas - Chemical Guys Polymer Sealant

The reviews say it should last 7 months, I'll post after 6 months and tell you how it lasted. It was very easy to put on/take off and the luster was exceptional.

The link says the product is called CarGuys. Price is pretty steep for a knock off, it that's what it is.

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
Originally Posted by sasilverbullet
I've been a staunch Meguiars fan for many years but just recently applied this to both my Hondas - Chemical Guys Polymer Sealant

The reviews say it should last 7 months, I'll post after 6 months and tell you how it lasted. It was very easy to put on/take off and the luster was exceptional.

The link says the product is called CarGuys. Price is pretty steep for a knock off, it that's what it is.

SatinSilver said:
sasilverbullet said:

Outside or inside?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back