Hard shifts after a long drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back with yet another headache with the 6F35 on our Fusion
mad.gif
just got back from a long trip. I've noticed that after cruising for any length of time, if I give it gas to accelerate and pass, for example, the downshift is always harsh and abrupt. Pulling into a rest area, slowing down, sometimes the downshifts are very firm and almost create a bucking motion. Pulling away from a rest area, after sitting only 5 or 6 minutes, the first 1-2 shift is always hard... so hard that if the pavement was wet, I'd spin the tires for sure, and this is at a light acceleration. Shifting from park to drive often gives a solid judder also. It did this the whole way home. Just driving around in regular traffic though, no issues really.

I've heard this can be because the transmission is slipping/overheating? The transmission was rebuilt under warranty for the SECOND time last November, and that work has a 2 year warranty. I think I'm going to bring it in soon, but I'm curious as to what it could be before they give me their diagnosis.

Side note: the MPG on this trip, which we've made several times before, was much worse this time around; like 3 mpg worse. Conditions are always comparable on each trip, same fuel grade used, same load in car, same tire pressures, etc. Maybe something is up...

Time to dump the Fusion my friend! As much as I love the look of those years, I still know way too many folks with issues in those years. Most all the issues were trans, but know a few who had engine issues as well.

It's sad, keeps me away from what have been a good car. My neighbor had enough with his 2010, and traded it in for a new Honda Civic...

If the fluid is old do a dump and fill, BUT this issue sounds more like a worn solenoid or pressure regulator than bad fluid. Poor fluid tends to cause a delay in shifts or slips.

Originally Posted By: Olas
Buy a manual and have full control over gear engagement at all times.

Easier said than done. I'm afraid we are not awash in manuals like "over there". I think Mazda and "expensive" cars might be the only ones left (BMW? VW?) in the mid-size class.

I'd take it back under warranty. I wouldn't touch the fluid. I'm not sure how often this trans needs fluid changes, but unless if the rebuilder said to change it at an interval that you already passed (like an early flush to get out anything left behind), I'd leave it as-is and let them debug it. I mean, if it's full of junk, then it tells the rebuilder something--had you changed it, they might think you were full of it. [I also would find it hard to believe that it would need a fluid change after a year of driving.]

Give the rebuilder a chance first. Maybe it's trivial, whatever it is.

Trans rebuilt 2nd time. Trans having problems 3rd time. Only 65000 miles. It is time to let them fix it again, then replace with something reliable. Eventually all these expensive repairs will be out of YOUR wallet, so dump it before the value drops any further.

Originally Posted By: supton
Easier said than done. I'm afraid we are not awash in manuals like "over there". I think Mazda and "expensive" cars might be the only ones left (BMW? VW?) in the mid-size class.

Off topic, but I wonder if "over there" is next when it comes to manuals starting to disappear.
wink.gif

Your trans shouldn't have had to be rebuilt once let alone twice. I'd be looking hard for a cooling problem either internal or external. Take it back to where the trans was rebuilt, tell them what's going on and insist on a thorough diagnosis.

If you look at The Sonnax 6F35 information you can see their fixes for all the common problems including low cooler flow. http://d2q1ebiag300ih.cloudfront.net/upl...df?v=1444679186

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: supton

Off topic, but I wonder if "over there" is next when it comes to manuals starting to disappear.
wink.gif

Manuals are becoming less common in the UK, slowly but surely many drivers that live in or near a large City are moving over to Auto.

My wife wants Auto for her next car, and to be honest so do I.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back