Harbor Freight oil drain valve

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bottom feed at HF more than the average guy, but for a critical application like that I wouldn't touch a HF part unless it's the actual brand name part.

I bought two of the Frams couple years back , thought they were about $13. I would pay the more $ to get a USA made product that someone in the USA has a job from, pays taxes, pays into social security, etc. Never installed them because it seemed to me that on an angled drain plug, like mine and many are, the thickness of the adapter wall means more oil left inside.

Yeah -- I wouldn't trust HF either -- unless on an extreme beater.

Jegs still has Sure Drains?! Wow -- what a price. They used to by around $15 while in stores. My last one I picked up on e-bay for around $7-10 shipped.

I bought one yesterday and it is a decently constructed piece. I will put it on during the next oil change.
55.gif

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
The Sure Drains take forever

Thats only if the oil is cold when you drain it. I never had an issue with it draining when the oil was hot like it should be.

The hot/cold oil might make a difference but I think that pulling the plug isn't big enough of a hassle to use a Sure Drain. Of course if someone sends of uoas often then it would come in handy.

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
The hot/cold oil might make a difference but I think that pulling the plug isn't big enough of a hassle to use a Sure Drain. Of course if someone sends of uoas often then it would come in handy.

If you always did the oil change yourself and made sure to always tighten the plug by hand to make sure it didnt strip then I'd say you're right. But one trip to an oil change place where they just wrenched on it and damaged the threads means a headache until you eventually replace the pan or just stuff a quick drain in it so you never have to touch it again.

I needed a way to control the way the oil flows from the drain plug in the 3. It shoots out the side and I have to hold the drain pan in the air to catch the used oil. It is ridiculous. Now that there is a hose with the drain to control oil flow direction, my oil changes will become a no-mess situation. And if the oil drains slower, I am in no rush when changing oil anyway. :2cents:

The thumbscrew ones are worthless and whom invented this one should be shot.They leak and I have replaced one engine because someone had one with one of these leaking oil out.No oil came out and the engine was toast

Which one are you referring to exactly? The Fram ones cant leak unless you've screwed the adapter on or left the dust cap off and the Fumoto style ones are virtually leak proof by design.

Looks like something like a togglebolt and leak badly.I see them and throw them away replacing them with the factory drain plug

Harbor Freight oil drain valve does look like Fram Sure Drain. I have Sure Drain installed in one of my cars about a year ago. I changed oil in that car, since I can remove the dust cover, install the drain hose and the oil filter from top of the engine, it is very convenience to change oil and filter.

Yes, Sure Drain is slow but easy and clean and I don't have to get under the car.

If you bought one from Harbor Freight and it is a decently made, then you should put it on. But keep and eye on it, make sure that it doesn't leak and on in a while check to make sure it doesn't get loose and fall off. If it's like Sure Drain, you'll like it.

Even if the valve leaks you still have the dust cap with o-ring screwed onto it so no oil is gonna spill out anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back