Harbor Freight Apache "Pelican" Knock Off Gun Case

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw these in Harbor Freight the other day, and picked one up. They come in 3 different sizes, and I bought the largest one, (Model 3800). This thing is really nice for the money. It was $39.95, but don't pay that. You can easily get 20% off coupons from Harbor Freight by either getting on their mailing list. Or by sometimes going to their website and printing them out. With the 20% off the biggest size case is just $32.00. And it's beautiful for that price. It has "pick and pluck", (or whatever they call it) foam that you can fit and shape to your needs.

The big case can easily get 2 pistols in it, along with extra magazines, or a few boxes of ammo. This thing is very well built, and on par with anything from Pelican. But at a fraction of the cost. I've seen those cheap, zippered pistol "rugs" for close to $20.00 at Cabela's and Sportsman's Warehouse. These are far better for just a couple of bucks more. They have a sealed O-Ring and a air bleeder valve just like Pelican to assure waterproofness.

I'm hoping they will come out with one that is rifle size in the near future. If they do I'll buy several. You just can't beat the quality for the price. I've always felt Pelican Cases were way overpriced for what they are.... Which is basically molded plastic. I priced the Pelican Roller Case my Bushmaster .50 BMG Rifle came in, and they wanted close to $250.00 for it. That's insane for ANY plastic molded rifle case. I don't care if it comes with Mag wheels.

https://www.harborfreight.com/3800-watertight-protective-case-16-516-in-63927.html

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
As long as it doesn't have that "china rubber" smell then I'll pick one up.

I hear you there! I bought a pair of Rothco jungle boots for just mowing and knock around stuff so I wouldn't thrash my good ones. The smell was so bad I couldn't keep them in the house. It stank up the WHOLE home and gave me a headache. I put them out in the garage and it slowly faded so I could wear them. Took a couple months.

Sams sells probably the same thing for even cheaper I think. AND they have a rifle length version. I bought two, one for rifles, and one for pistols, from Sams, and I dont think they were more than $30 each.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Sams sells probably the same thing for even cheaper I think. AND they have a rifle length version. I bought two, one for rifles, and one for pistols, from Sams, and I dont think they were more than $30 each.

All Sams Stores in Washington are closed the end of this month!

They are keeping the pharmacies open until the 28th I believe.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Did they have ones large enough for say a Benchrest Rifle?

No, not yet. The largest is the one that I bought, which is the same as the one in the video....... And they don't smell.

Thanks for posting this. I’m going to check them out.

I’m also hoping they come out with rifle and carbine-length models. I’d like to have a Pelican-style hard case for my AR with the scope mounted. I’d like to have it lined with foam rubber that’s cut out to exactly fit the rifle with scope (“shadowed”) along with a place for several magazines, etc.

I just thought I would bring this thread back if anyone is interested. Because Harbor Freight is putting out "25% Off" coupons for a big Easter Sale they're having this coming weekend. It would be a good time to pick up one of these cases super cheap. (Around $30.00 instead of the regular $40.00).

Originally Posted By: billt460
Pelican / Apache comparison.

Interesting test with decent results. I would pick the Apache for sure.

These always crack me up though. Much like the guy in the cheesy bear costume throwing those overpriced coolers out the back of a moving truck. If your load isn't secured, it could fall out and be damaged or destroyed. Been this way since the beginning of time.

Using the discount coupon that funflyer posted, I picked one of the 3800 models up for $30. Well worth it in my opinion--the is a very sturdy case that will survive normal abuse and is well suited for many applications. Thanks billt460 and funflyer for sharing.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Using the discount coupon that funflyer posted, I picked one of the 3800 models up for $30. Well worth it in my opinion--the is a very sturdy case that will survive normal abuse and is well suited for many applications. Thanks billt460 and funflyer for sharing.

Glad it worked out for you. You really can't beat these cases for the price. The quality is excellent.

I brought this thread back instead of starting a new one because Harbor Freight has expanded their line of these cases. They now have a large rifle Pelican type case. As well as a larger model of the pistol case. The rifle case is an outstanding buy. They normally sell for $149.99, and are a good deal at that price. But they are now on sale for just $99.99 with a discount coupon. The case has an internal length of 50-3/8". And a width of 13-5/8". This case easily compares to Pelican brand cases in the $230.00+ range, and is an outstanding buy for just $99.99 There is a 4 case limit at that price.

https://www.harborfreight.com/9800-weatherproof-protective-rifle-case-long-64520.html

http://widgets.harborfreight.com/ws...3575723&keycode=1021&single=true

(The coupon shows an expired date, but I just received a current valid one in my inbox. So check with the stores in your area).

The smaller cases make great humidors too! Add a Boveda 65% bag and humidity meter/thermometer and have a maintenance free humidor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back