Had the house painted

AZjeff

$50 Site Donor 2023
New home took possession in May 2018, stucco exterior. Within 3 years started to notice the paint fading especially on the south and east facing sides. Found out that the paint contractor uses low grade paint (not a surprise) and allegedly thins it to go farther, and it's a flat finish that just gets beat by the sun. A couple of months ago a guy I know a couple of streets away had his house painted so I stopped to see what he thought of the painters, he was very impressed and is real fussy about his place, his garage looks like an advertisement. We would have liked to go another year or two but the paint was starting to peel from the fascia boards and some cracks in the stucco needed filled and I'm not going 20 feet up a ladder anymore so called the painter and got on his schedule.

It's not often you have something done that you're completely satisfied with, but I'm amazed at the job these guys did. And did it in one day. Masked off the windows and all outlets, meters, etc, scraped and primed where needed, covered driveway, walkways and patio, pushed the landscape gravel back from the slab to get the paint below the gravel. And put 2 coats on everything. 3 man crew and everyone knew their job. I'm fussy and looked it over closely and couldn't find one missed spot or over spray anywhere and they cleaned everything up. Man it's nice to deal with skilled honest people.
IMG_3220.jpg
IMG_3233.jpg

IMG_3242.jpg

Beautiful home! We just had our home painted; he used Benjamin Moore paint. Came out great. Did the redwood deck; the front door needs a sand and stain. I never shoulda bought that expensive wood door... The sun beats it up, but you already know that in AZ.

It looks very nice. Please don't take this as a criticism, it's not. Just a POV from a now retired/semi retired, professional painter in the North East. I flip flop on retirement now. A few things that come to mind.

Did the house need to be power washed first? Around here every stucco house I ever worked on did. Other areas of the country may differ.
They scraped, repaired cracks, spot primed, and two were coats spray applied in one day? Did they back roll the paint, or did they just let it dry between coats? Most of us here back roll spray jobs to give the paint a better chance at proper adhesion, and work it into the stucco surface a bit. I wouldn't apply two coats by spray in one day. I like to let that first coat dry overnight, especially if spot priming, and crack repair was involved. Those products need to dry well first. Regarding thinning the paint, some products need to be thinned a bit to properly atomize, even with a good airless sprayer.

I'm sure they did a good job, and it's nice to read you we satisfied. Finding good craftsmen these days who take pride can be very tough.

This is what worries me with replacing the siding on our house. I don't need Manny & his crew pissing off and making sloppy mistakes after their forman leaves site. I imagine the paint probably dries almost instantly in the dry AZ heat.

@demarpaint, power washed 2 days before. All work done same day, don't know what to say that seems to be standard practice. They've been in business for 20 years around here with a good rep I guess we'll see how it ages.
I'm glad they power washed it two days before, that makes a big difference, and is an important part of the prep. I prefer to allow more dry time between coats especially when there is crack repair, caulking and priming. I prefer to back roll spray jobs, but it drives the cost up. My prices were always on the high end of the pricing scale, because of how I did the work. I lost a lot of bids, however that was the business model I wanted. Best of luck to you with with the house!!

Beautiful home! We just had our home painted; he used Benjamin Moore paint. Came out great. Did the redwood deck; the front door needs a sand and stain. I never shoulda bought that expensive wood door... The sun beats it up, but you already know that in AZ.
I have the same wood door issue. Love the look but it takes a beating. Paid $500 to have it sanded and matte lacquer applied which I was told will help it hold up better.

I'm glad they power washed it two days before, that makes a big difference, and is an important part of the prep. I prefer to allow more dry time between coats especially when there is crack repair, caulking and priming. I prefer to back roll spray jobs, but it drives the cost up. My prices were always on the high end of the pricing scale, because of how I did the work. I lost a lot of bids, however that was the business model I wanted. Best of luck to you with with the house!!
The best always costs more. And is usually a bargain.

Live next door to Walter White? Similar looking neighborhood and houses...lol.

New home took possession in May 2018, stucco exterior. Within 3 years started to notice the paint fading especially on the south and east facing sides. Found out that the paint contractor uses low grade paint (not a surprise) and allegedly thins it to go farther, and it's a flat finish that just gets beat by the sun. A couple of months ago a guy I know a couple of streets away had his house painted so I stopped to see what he thought of the painters, he was very impressed and is real fussy about his place, his garage looks like an advertisement. We would have liked to go another year or two but the paint was starting to peel from the fascia boards and some cracks in the stucco needed filled and I'm not going 20 feet up a ladder anymore so called the painter and got on his schedule.

It's not often you have something done that you're completely satisfied with, but I'm amazed at the job these guys did. And did it in one day. Masked off the windows and all outlets, meters, etc, scraped and primed where needed, covered driveway, walkways and patio, pushed the landscape gravel back from the slab to get the paint below the gravel. And put 2 coats on everything. 3 man crew and everyone knew their job. I'm fussy and looked it over closely and couldn't find one missed spot or over spray anywhere and they cleaned everything up. Man it's nice to deal with skilled honest people.
View attachment 220177View attachment 220178
View attachment 220179
Looks great. I miss the SW 80s architecture

No idea who that is.

SW 80s architecture? Interesting.
In the 70s and 80s, in the southwest, many suburban houses were of similar architecture, grew up in Las Vegas. AZ, and NM were of similar styles. Del Webb, had major hand in it, yes the same Del Webb as "Del Webb Sun City Communities" around the country. Member of the Webb family, of Clark County, NV.

Take no offense, I just recognize the design of the house. Nice house.

View attachment 220177View attachment 220178
View attachment 220179
Is this real stucco or eifs?

Back