Had a conversation in Spanish yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Propflux01
Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Hispanics are the fastest growing population in the USA.

You will need to know spanish.

I'll be the first:

People need to learn the current native tongue in the country they settle. Not the other way around.

Exactly. Bending over backwards to one linguistic group is just offensive. Too many people came here, mastered the language, and assimilated. English is the de facto "Natve" language here in the USA, like it or not. Forget offending the population with generational existence here speaking English, what is offensive is that so many others from so many other linguistic groups (this has nothing to do with "race" or ethnicity) DID come and DID learn and made the effort in a rapid and responsible way.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
Originally Posted By: Blaze

I'll be the first:

People need to learn the current native tongue in the country they settle. Not the other way around.
Exactly!

You both speak Native American?

You must have missed the "current" part of the native tongue?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

I'll be the first:

Exactly. Bending over backwards to one linguistic group is just offensive. Too many people came here, mastered the language, and assimilated. English is the de facto "Natve" language here in the USA, like it or not. Forget offending the population with generational existence here speaking English, what is offensive is that so many others from so many other linguistic groups (this has nothing to do with "race" or ethnicity) DID come and DID learn and made the effort in a rapid and responsible way.

Agreed. In years gone by, many immigrants from all walks of life learned our language and became proud, productive citizens of the U.S. Now, we are expected to learn their language or cater to them in the form of multilingual signs, correspondence, forms, phone menus, etc?

Even in middle/high schools it is often required to have at least one foreign language credit to graduate. When I was in school, I had the same view point as I do now- why should I learn their language (or any other) if I'm not living out of country? I was from the class of 1997, and for the '98 school year, it became a requirement to graduate, for a student to take a foreign language.. Prior to it becoming a requirement, most of my classmates had already been coerced into taking French or Spanish. I was one of the few who never elected to take the course. Personally, I did it as a form of protest.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric

I'll be the first:

Agreed. In years gone by, many immigrants from all walks of life learned our language and became proud, productive citizens of the U.S. Now, we are expected to learn their language or cater to them in the form of multilingual signs, correspondence, forms, phone menus, etc?

Even in middle/high schools it is often required to have at least one foreign language credit to graduate. When I was in school, I had the same view point as I do now- why should I learn their language (or any other) if I'm not living out of country? I was from the class of 1997, and for the '98 school year, it became a requirement to graduate, for a student to take a foreign language.. Prior to it becoming a requirement, most of my classmates had already been coerced into taking French or Spanish. I was one of the few who never elected to take the course. Personally, I did it as a form of protest.

There is a whole friggen world out there beyond Anytown, USA. Some people like to experience other cultures. I would love to have more time and funds to travel internationally.
I guess others just like to stay at home and be comforted by like-minded thinkers and no change.

I had 3 years of Spanish in high school and when I went to Costa Rica, the locals were impressed with my language skills (which were no more than okay). Now you can get by without speaking anything other than English down there. I see that as a change for the worse.

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
english-only-movement.jpg

misspelled-tea-party-sign-respect-our-are-country-speak-english.jpg

I love these pics!

Without casting any judgement, I love this entry in Wikipedia:

An idiot, dolt, or dullard is an intellectually disabled person, or someone who acts in a self-defeating or significantly counterproductive way. Archaically the word mome has also been used. The similar terms moron, imbecile, and cretin have all gained specialized meanings in modern times. An idiot is said to be idiotic, and to suffer from idiocy. A dunce is an idiot who is specifically incapable of learning. An idiot differs from a fool (who is unwise) and an ignoramus (who is uneducated/an ignorant), neither of which refers to someone with low intelligence.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
Expecting someone in another country to know your single language is ignorant and rude - and is part of the reason that Americans have a bad reputation in many countries abroad.

Well the good news is that the rise of China will probably make people reminisce about the good old days when most tourists were from America.

Originally Posted By: Stelth

I'll be the first:

As much as I agree that we should all speak a common language, in this case English, my goals are twofold: one, to break down communication barriers and communicate more effectively, and two, I've always wanted to be fluent in a foreign language. Not only that, I live in a border town.

Stelth......you posted an interesting interaction with a fellow human being....and used a language that you aren't 100% fluent in, but did very well. Good for you! Sorry that so many knot-heads had to interject a bunch of blathering nonsense about what language everyone should speak. We all agree, I'm sure, that for the most part English is the 'unofficial' official language of the U.S. But unfortunately many people despise immigrants that have difficulty learning it. Funny thing though, many that are raised right here have the English speaking skills of a five year old. My girlfriend is from Mexico. She has been here most of her life. Still, after 35 years, she does not have perfect English. She gets treated very poorly at times from rednecks that all but accuse her of being an illegal immigrant or an anti-American Mexican that wants to invade the U.S. Bunch of idiots some people are. She's raised four boys since moving here....and one has served 9 tours in Afghanistan as an Army Ranger.
Anyway....sorry to rant and rave and go off-topic so far. I just can't stand it when some Americans can be such jerks when all you were discussing was how fun it was speaking Spanish with somebody.

Last edited:

There is a whole friggen world out there beyond Anytown, USA. Some people like to experience other cultures. I would love to have more time and funds to travel internationally.
I guess others just like to stay at home and be comforted by like-minded thinkers and no change.

I had 3 years of Spanish in high school and when I went to Costa Rica, the locals were impressed with my language skills (which were no more than okay). Now you can get by without speaking anything other than English down there. I see that as a change for the worse.

Yes, that IS a turn for the worst, and equivalent to everyone in the US being forced to bend over backwards for lazy Spanish speaking people unwilling to learn the de facto native tongue spoken here. If I was going there, I'd expect to have to know enough of their language to get by. People coming here, especially if immigrating here, should know enough English to assimilate and be fully functional, and then use it.

Yes, that IS a turn for the worst, and equivalent to everyone in the US being forced to bend over backwards for lazy Spanish speaking people unwilling to learn the de facto native tongue spoken here. If I was going there, I'd expect to have to know enough of their language to get by. People coming here, especially if immigrating here, should know enough English to assimilate and be fully functional, and then use it.

The overwhelming majority do.

Nope. And I don't speak Neanderthal or cromagnon, either.
You may surprise yourself.
whistle.gif

Originally Posted By: andrewg

Yet more and more items in more and more places are clearly bilingual.

Yet more and more items in more and more places are clearly bilingual.

Its a "free" country, and there must be economic benefits to having bilingual commerce, so that's why they do it. I don't think it says anywhere in the constitution that everyone must speak the same language or have the same values. I don't see what the big problem is anyways, I doubt you will ever find yourself in a situation where "American" isn't spoken by someone there...

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
Nope. And I don't speak Neanderthal or cromagnon, either.
You may surprise yourself.
whistle.gif

Nope. Unlike some here I am fully aware of my language habits.
smile.gif

Which also brings me to this: When you come to my area of the country and we happen to meet up and strike up a conversation, and you happen to notice those in my area have a slang, or different pronunciation of words, I will immediately demand that you speak the same way I do. Even though we speak essentially the same language. After all, wouldn't want anyone surprised....
smile.gif

And this is still America and both groups you describe have the freedom to take either approach. Neither is better than the other, so stop suggesting that the multi-lingual world traveler is somehow superior to the stay at home citizen.

Our household has visited every continent save Antarctica and we still like living in rural USA!

Spanish or French signs and documents will not improve my quality of life. A more effective quality of life boost is provided by those who choose to live here learning the predominate language.

Originally Posted By: javacontour

Spanish or French signs and documents will not improve my quality of life. A more effective quality of life boost is provided by those who choose to live here learning the predominate language.

Very well said!!

I might add that I will help anyone trying to learn the native language. Every other country I have ever visited has expected the same from me, and I have no issues with that. As the old saying goes: "do as the natives do".

I have no problem with people learning and knowing several languages. We need more language classes in the schools. Although on the other hand the schools in the USA seem to have a hard time just teaching the basics.

But I also think there is nothing wrong with a country having an official language (or languages). And people who refuse to learn the official language are shooting themselves in the foot. If I were to move to a country where Spanish was the major language I certainly would learn Spanish. It would certainly in in my self-interest to do so. Every country in the world with the exception of the USA has an official language (or languages) as far as I know.

English is the most common language spoken in the USA. Before that of course there were many, many Native American languages and probably nobody would have been able to speak all of them. And in certain parts of the USA there was Spanish or French or other languages. Since English is the most common language spoken in the USA it really is to the benefit of every person to learn that language. Now if they also want to speak another language or several languages that is fine. In Europe many people can speak three or four languages.

When I was going to grade school we were taught just a tiny amount of Spanish. Basically nothing. But if people are going to learn other languages it is really grade school where they should learn those languages.

I am an old guy but I might take a Spanish class if it is offered at my Church. I am not sure if the class will actually take place but if it does I will take it. I have already talked to one of the people (a woman) who may teach the class. Those people were Spanish speakers first and then they learned English. They can speak both well. Spanish would be a useful second language. In fact I would not mind being able to speak Latin but I have been told that Latin is very hard to learn. But Latin is still an important language (many medical, legal, scientific terms in Latin).

There are so many Spanish speaking people where I live I know a considerable number of words but I really can't speak Spanish. Maybe knowing a lot of words would make it easier to learn the language.

I am angry that another language was not schooled to me at a younger age, when it is easier to learn languages.

Because my last name begins after the letter M, in the beginning of 6th grade we were given half a year of Spanish first, then the second half, of French then given the choice of which to study thereafter.

I just stayed with French as it was fresher in my Mind.

I have not been to a French speaking country. I think perhaps I could have spoken 3 times in that language in the ensuing years with people I met along the way.

However Spanish, I have spent years cumulative in Spanish speaking countries and can usually make myself understood but will have a blank look on my face when being spoken to by those that do not slow down and enunciate.

Often my remembrance of the French vocabulary is a hindrance to communication in spanish, Like when I kept asking some poor character what his Number was when trying to get his name.

I wish they had given us a real education in Spanish in grade school when I had the chance to learn a second language. I will always consider English to be my main language but knowing Spanish would have been useful. I am sort of surprised they even gave us any training at all in Spanish when I was in grade school which was a long time ago.

It will probably be a lot harder learning Spanish now that I am older. If they even have the class.

Originally Posted By: Stelth

I'll be the first:

As much as I agree that we should all speak a common language, in this case English, my goals are twofold: one, to break down communication barriers and communicate more effectively, and two, I've always wanted to be fluent in a foreign language. Not only that, I live in a border town.

Stelth......you posted an interesting interaction with a fellow human being....and used a language that you aren't 100% fluent in, but did very well. Good for you! Sorry that so many knot-heads had to interject a bunch of blathering nonsense about what language everyone should speak. We all agree, I'm sure, that for the most part English is the 'unofficial' official language of the U.S. But unfortunately many people despise immigrants that have difficulty learning it. Funny thing though, many that are raised right here have the English speaking skills of a five year old. My girlfriend is from Mexico. She has been here most of her life. Still, after 35 years, she does not have perfect English. She gets treated very poorly at times from rednecks that all but accuse her of being an illegal immigrant or an anti-American Mexican that wants to invade the U.S. Bunch of idiots some people are. She's raised four boys since moving here....and one has served 9 tours in Afghanistan as an Army Ranger.
Anyway....sorry to rant and rave and go off-topic so far. I just can't stand it when some Americans can be such jerks when all you were discussing was how fun it was speaking Spanish with somebody.

Thanks, andrewg. I think being fluent in another language would be really cool. It will still take me a while, but I think I can do it. It helps that I get the bi-lingual ads from O'Reilly:
-bujias are spark plugs
-frenos are brakes
-aceite para motor is motor oil
-estabilizador de aceite marca Lucas is Lucas Oil Stabilizer

and so on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back