Gunsmith Recommendation- Restoration

Hi all- have a WWII era K98k Mauser that is complete but the barrel and stock are toast. Stock is scraped all over plus a huge gouge. Barrel has a rusted bore, rifling is gone and swallows a no-go gauge (I don’t have a field gauge on hand). Absolutely no serial numbers match on any parts, so it’s not like I have a rare rifle on my hands :)

Finish gone on the various metal parts, but there is no significant corrosion and I imagine a good gunsmith could clean them up nicely. I have a repro stock on the way and am searching for a barrel made to original spec. Basically want to keep it looking period correct, so will need:
-Barrel removal and install new one, swap sights and headspace (I’ll supply the barrel)
-True up any critical surfaces if they see the need for it
-Smooth out any scrapes/dings on metal parts and prep them
-Refinish all metal parts
-Stock should not need much fitting, if any

In searching, I do see some rave reviews, but most of them are at least 5 years ago, and it’s hard to tell if the same gunsmith is still at the shop. If anyone has some firsthand knowledge of work like this completed with good results I’d love to get a few leads for people to do the work.

Ask around at your local shooting range. Sounds like a nice project, are you sticking with a 8x57 barrel or going with a different caliber?

That would cost a fortune these days unless you get a hack.
Seriously expensive and if they are honorable they may only keep it a year.

Unless it is a family piece spasm3 is right.

Thanks everyone for the feedback, I’ll check all of those out!

B1974- good call on the local range, I’m due for a trip anyway! Unfortunately I don’t have any pictures, she’s just a tired old Mauser. Built in 1943 at the Brunn factory.

Definitely understand the feedback on if the costs start to soar. I’ve not inquired about this type of work before so I don’t know what to expect- part of the reason I wanted to get a few options. If the prices are obscene, making this a static conversation piece and buying a decent K98k may be the wise choice.

Hi all- have a WWII era K98k Mauser that is complete but the barrel and stock are toast. Stock is scraped all over plus a huge gouge. Barrel has a rusted bore, rifling is gone and swallows a no-go gauge (I don’t have a field gauge on hand). Absolutely no serial numbers match on any parts, so it’s not like I have a rare rifle on my hands :)

Finish gone on the various metal parts, but there is no significant corrosion and I imagine a good gunsmith could clean them up nicely. I have a repro stock on the way and am searching for a barrel made to original spec. Basically want to keep it looking period correct, so will need:
-Barrel removal and install new one, swap sights and headspace (I’ll supply the barrel)
-True up any critical surfaces if they see the need for it
-Smooth out any scrapes/dings on metal parts and prep them
-Refinish all metal parts
-Stock should not need much fitting, if any

In searching, I do see some rave reviews, but most of them are at least 5 years ago, and it’s hard to tell if the same gunsmith is still at the shop. If anyone has some firsthand knowledge of work like this completed with good results I’d love to get a few leads for people to do the work.
I followed videos made by an excellent restorer and one man shop for years. When I acquired my antique 1885 Winchester and contacted him about restoration, he replied that hes no was longer doing that work and was limiting his current work to rebarreling and cerakote coatings. I was devastated~!

Back