Gumming question

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's my understanding that when small engine devices are put up or not used for a while that the gas tank should be emptied and run until dry. I'm wondering if this is indeed correct or if it's just one of those things that "sounds right" but not really proven. It seems to me that this would tend to form more gum deposits via evaporation than if the tank were filled up keeping the deposits from forming by the solvent action of the liquid. What am I missing. Does it make any difference if it is straight gas or a 2-cycle mixture?

I just like to understand why I do what I do.

thanks for any feedback

If you don't drain your carb, fuel tank, etc. your fuel will deterioriate so quickly to the point where all the vital small parts (orifice, etc.) will gum up causing all sort of starting trouble.

This is not a myth: it's a fact. Fact is, you have to take good care of your fuel delivery system on small engine applicances.

2cycle mix will go bad as well so drain the appliance and keep it in a cool, dry place.

Q.

for winter storage, use fuel stabiliser in your fuel mix to prolong the storage life of the fuel in your appliances, or drain it to keep it from going bad in your appliance. Also: for extended storage, spray your engine innards with engine storage spray to keep the rings, valves, cylinder walls, etc. from rust and corrosion.

Either run 'er dry or add stabilizer to the gas, run it some to circulate and store it that way.

I use stabilizer. I also fill the tank to brim when storing to minimize dead air space, which promotes condensation.

Or use alklated gasoline. Have long storage time w/o stabilizers. Will reduce headaches from exhaust fumes, too.

Originally Posted By: xwray
It's my understanding that when small engine devices are put up or not used for a while that the gas tank should be emptied and run until dry. I'm wondering if this is indeed correct or if it's just one of those things that "sounds right" but not really proven. ....

A problem with that advice is that it allows moisture to condense in the fuel system, particularly the tank, and eventually corrosion sets in.

My personal practice on lawn mowers, motorcycles, and so on is to add about three times the recommended level of Chevron Techron Concentrate Plus, run the engine until it's down far enough to ensure the Techron is all the way through the system, and then fill the tank.

The Techron seems to work better than products like STA-BIL made to "stabilize" gasoline in storage.

Last year I bought a 2 gallon gas can and put in 1/2 ounce of FP3000 in the gas and didn't add anymore to the gas during the year. It appears to have stabilized well, as the mower started up with no issues or hard running.

Originally Posted By: Quest
If you don't drain your carb, fuel tank, etc. your fuel will deterioriate so quickly to the point where all the vital small parts (orifice, etc.) will gum up causing all sort of starting trouble.

This is not a myth: it's a fact. Fact is, you have to take good care of your fuel delivery system on small engine applicances.

2cycle mix will go bad as well so drain the appliance and keep it in a cool, dry place.

Q.

for winter storage, use fuel stabiliser in your fuel mix to prolong the storage life of the fuel in your appliances, or drain it to keep it from going bad in your appliance. Also: for extended storage, spray your engine innards with engine storage spray to keep the rings, valves, cylinder walls, etc. from rust and corrosion.

My understanding is that you are better off with tank and carbs, fuel system, etc. full with stabilizer. I also read that most quality 2 cycle oils have fuel stabilizer in them. I have never had a fuel related issue in any of my six boats, three line trimmers, two lawn mowers, two lawn tractors, one chain saw, or two snow blowers. Not much equipment to cover thirty years of service. I do not think it wise to empty fuel systems as some seals, and gaskets are better off preserved and wet. Two cycle or four, both get a dose of Stabil for storage. No troblem!

I had all sorts of carb troubles on my mowers until I started using Stabil in the fuel. My '77 IH Cadet lawn tractor has a fuel shut off. I turn it off and run the carb dry. This spring, I turned on the gas, set the choke, and the ol' girl lit right off. I also add an oz. or so of MMO to help stuff out and to perfume the exhaust.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back