GT vs UHP tires?

Just curious if anyone has first hand experience comparing "GT" and "UHP" tires ideally on the same car. I've always opted for UHP tires on sportier vehicles, but now I'm wondering if a "GT" tire would provide sufficient performance (on public roads) with the benefit of improved NVH. I realize a direct comparison is near impossible as every model is different but any discussion is welcomed.

The closest comparison I've found so far is one of Michelin's models, and it seems that the CC2 is all the tire most people would need: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=270

What's the load rating, speed rating, warranty, what is it going on etc. Can't really compare w/o knowing more of the criteria.

If you are considering the CC2, then you truly didn’t ever need a UHP, and a GT would probably suit you quite well. Where I’ve enjoyed higher performance tires solely because I like the way softer rubber communicates when approaching the edge of its grip. The CC2, and I’ve had 2 sets, is by far the best tire we’ve had for wet driving, both accelerating and braking. We sold one of the cars, but we still have one set of CC2s and they are wearing like iron.

What you lose with the CC2 is lateral grip. For daily driving, most folks won’t notice. Me, in a sporty RWD, they would lose lateral grip when I’d push *just* beyond a “spirited” turn. Now…. I loved it, because they set up for very controlled RWD action at reasonable speeds and I could have a little fun. BUT, the weak lateral grip would have UHP fans pointing and laughing, laughing hard.

CC2 has been the only tire to handle wet weather wheelspin for my wife accelerating from a stop. We will buy more.

If you are considering the CC2, then you truly didn’t ever need a UHP, and a GT would probably suit you quite well. Where I’ve enjoyed higher performance tires solely because I like the way softer rubber communicates when approaching the edge of its grip. The CC2, and I’ve had 2 sets, is by far the best tire we’ve had for wet driving, both accelerating and braking. We sold one of the cars, but we still have one set of CC2s and they are wearing like iron.

What you lose with the CC2 is lateral grip. For daily driving, most folks won’t notice. Me, in a sporty RWD, they would lose lateral grip when I’d push *just* beyond a “spirited” turn. Now…. I loved it, because they set up for very controlled RWD action at reasonable speeds and I could have a little fun. BUT, the weak lateral grip would have UHP fans pointing and laughing, laughing hard.

CC2 has been the only tire to handle wet weather wheelspin for my wife accelerating from a stop. We will buy more.
We have the CC2 on my wife’s XT6, and I LOVE them! I have 0 complaints about them.

I have - GT are going to have a quieter and more compliant ride than an UHP and I'm in the all season (U.S.) category for that statement. The handling difference will be noticeable at the limit/driving it "hard" which most folks don't need/aren't doing.

Keep in mind that Tire Rack classifies all the (car) all-weather tires as GT. They may or may not ride as nice as the non-AW GT tires, or might not last as long :unsure:

Like other categories, it's more about the individual tires themselves.

In the 90s, the Japanese liked to use V-rated high-profile GT tires (for example, 205/65-15). Falken even used to make W-rated tires in that size. The handling was good (it was a UHP tire), and the 65 sidewall preserved the good ride quality.

65 series and up will probably have good ride quality regardless of tire type simply because they have so much sidewall. 50 and below will probably ride harsh no matter that because there's just not enough sidewall. The difference is likely most significant with 55-60 series tires, where it would actually make a difference.

Too many new cars have no-profile tires for no reason, so you can get a smoother ride just by downsizing wheels :D

Still no answer so far. M340i with 225/40 R19 and 255/35 R19?

I actually do run both CC+ (not CC2) and PS4S on the same car.

Not in the market right now so this is more of a curiosity than anything else. Interested to hear about people's experiences though

2017 Mazda 6. It’s my daily driver, not fast at all. I don’t push it at all, but I do take back roads faster than I do in our minivan. 225/45r19 factory wheels

I’ve had the oe dunlops, then continental extreme contact dws, and now Michelin pilot sport as

That the type of comparison you’re looking for? Conti dws to Michelin pilot sport as?

I never push my car to the point of breaking traction in turns, it’s literally a daily driver 60 mile back road and highway commuter, but I notice no performance loss by switching to the Michelin tires.

Continental got noisy at the end of their life even though they wore perfectly and i rotate every 5k. Traction was good till they got to about 4/32 then they were sketchy in the rain. Snow traction was never good with continental, even new (I put them on in winter). The oe dunlops were better in snow. Have not gotten snow since I put the Michelins on.

Unless you compete, Ultra High Performance Tires vs good performing "summer tires" are a great way to waste money. People really don't understand how little additional speed is possible by an increase in cornering "G" force.

A good example would be a 80M radius corner (fun exit ramp) and the difference between 0.9G and 0.95G is about 60MPH vs 62MPH.

Here is a calculator for fun: https://rechneronline.de/g-acceleration/curve.php

Like many performance oriented drivers, I love a good set of tires. Although, for practical reasons, I tend to avoid tread wear ratings that are too low.

Another point, there are plenty of low treadwear tires designed for the ultimate grip that require some heating before they achieve full traction. The wonderful responsive feel they provide is generally due to stiff sidewalls and a robust tread pattern (no tread squirm) and won't translate into much more "off ramp" speed.

Back