Grundfos Stainless Steel Submersible pump

Didn’t know what Grundfos was before today, but I see it’s a brand name that’s been discussed on this board. A plumber friend of mine suggested considering a Grundfos Stainleess Steel submersible pump for my water well with a level down at 45 ft. The well has no trouble delivering 7 GPM.

I got a quote for an installation and the pump itself was a 7 GPM matched for my 220 V single pole existing system. It’s supposedly a stainless steel pump. With the contractor’s markup the pump itself is $1500 USD. Is there something special about Grundos that makes them fairly expensive?

Anyone have a good running history with this brand of pump? Thanks.

Snag

Last edited:
Yes I've run this brand on several wells. Grundfos makes superb product.

They sell some models that are run dry tolerant to an extent which is an issue here in the sierras where you get seasonal well " drought" and many brands are subject to burn out.

Didn’t know what Grundfos was before today, but I see it’s a brand name that’s been discussed on this board. A plumber friend of mine suggested considering a Grundfos Stainleess Steel submersible pump for my water well with a level down at 45 ft. The well has no trouble delivering 7 GPM.

I got a quote for an installation and the pump itself was a 7 GPM matched for my 220 V single pole existing system. It’s supposedly a stainless steel pump. With the contractor’s markup the pump itself is $1500 USD. Is there something special about Grundos that makes them fairly expensive?

Anyone have a good running history with this brand of pump? Thanks.

Snag

I have a variable-speed Grundfos SQE pump installed 260 feet down. It's been working for the last 5 years with no problem. Variable-speed means that with the appropriate controller inside the house (which I have), it will adjust it's speed to maintain a constant pressure via pressure sensor.

Apparently this pump will work without the controller as a regular single-speed pump, but that seems like a waste.

The controller communicates with the pump through powerline communication, there is no additional control wiring needed.

I can actually run this pump off of a 12V deep cycle marine battery connected to a 1500W inverter connected to a 120V -> 240V step-up transformer, as it only pulls 800 watts with a single faucet running and because it ramps up the speed, it has a low startup surge (unlike a conventional pump).

EDIT: The additional cost for the variable-speed setup was $1200 (compared to a single-speed pump). Well worth it, I think.

I have a variable-speed Grundfos SQE pump installed 260 feet down. It's been working for the last 5 years with no problem. Variable-speed means that with the appropriate controller inside the house (which I have), it will adjust it's speed to maintain a constant pressure via pressure sensor.

Apparently this pump will work without the controller as a regular single-speed pump, but that seems like a waste.

The controller communicates with the pump through powerline communication, there is no additional control wiring needed.

I can actually run this pump off of a 12V deep cycle marine battery connected to a 1500W inverter connected to a 120V -> 240V step-up transformer, as it only pulls 800 watts with a single faucet running and because it ramps up the speed, it has a low startup surge (unlike a conventional pump).

EDIT: The additional cost for the variable-speed setup was $1200 (compared to a single-speed pump). Well worth it, I think.
Does a variable speed pump eliminate the need for a pressure tank? Trying to figure out how this would work.

Grundfos is a good pump. But for your application a little less expensive pump would work just as well. Consider a Goulds.

That's a good quality pump.

I think the circulation pump for my home's hot water baseboard heat is a grundfos.

45ft well? why arent you using a jet pump? or this is out in the middle of your yard?
Dont need anything fancy for 45ft down.

Back