Group III base oils - rerefined

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of you may not like rerefined oils. I don't blame you. There isn't much policing of the quality so you are left to trust the manufacturer that the rerefined oils are properly prepared.

Companies like Puralube follow similar hydrotreating processes to what heavy crude oils are exposed to for making Group II and Group II+ oils. Plus, when you include the concentrations of higher quality bases in their "feedstocks" (reclaimed engine oil from the consumer market) you can get some pretty nice quality base oil. Put them next to a Group II from a virgin feedstock and I bet you can't tell the difference.

So now they are upgrading their production to produce Group III level oils (Same saturates and aromatic content of Group II, but Higher Viscosity Index). Depending on how these stack up against other market Group III base oils this could be a real opportunity for the synthetic lube market. Imagine Valvoline NextGen FULL SYNTHETIC.
(Ok maybe not Valvoline because that whole thing was kind of a bust!)

Check out this article from Lube Report:
Link

Originally Posted By: lubricatosaurus
Starting with crude from the ground or used motor oil, probably not much difference to the final product.

I would have thought the used motor oil to be a better starting point since it has already been refined.
----------------------------------------------

Solarent: NextGen did have a Synthetic
wink.gif

798161%20NextGen%20Synthetic%205W30%205-1%20QT.jpg

Well isn't that a beautiful picture - I wasn't sure if they did or not. I wonder how much of their formula was Group III and where they got it from if it was rerefined? (My base oil guide doesn't show any Group III rerefiners)

Yes, re refined oil like "ECO POWER" from Safety Kleen is better according to a tech. My friend works at a large fleet and they use Safety Kleen oils without issue/s

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
I saw NextGen Synthetic on closeout at Advance Auto a few years ago. $3.75/qt, and I passed it up.

I picked up several qts. of 5w20 at Pepboys on 'Closeout' at $1.90 a quart. I still haven't used it..but I have no problem with it being 'rerefined'.

I have wondered how they get Gr. III base oils from the recycled oil?

Originally Posted By: Solarent
Well isn't that a beautiful picture - I wasn't sure if they did or not. I wonder how much of their formula was Group III and where they got it from if it was rerefined? (My base oil guide doesn't show any Group III rerefiners)

Hmmm, interesting indeed. Although now probably water under the bridge.

Originally Posted By: pbm
I have wondered how they get Gr. III base oils from the recycled oil?

Refining steps might be a little different to get out more oxidized contaminants from used motor oil. There should be a lot of opportunity to get the fully saturated product you need from used motor oil though. It may even be easier to get a GroupIII quality product from re-refined motor oil! Crude is crude nasty stuff.

I assumed this was coming as there was no reason you couldn't make a Group III out of re-refined oil.

The question is, how much of the recycled base stock is already Group III (or even a little Group IV or V, though likely not very much).

I wonder if this will soon come out with the new Dexos rating. I have to admit I would normally shy away from recycled oil. I think a fleet operator would feel somewhat better cause they may have more control where their recycled oil came from.

Originally Posted By: Solarent
Well isn't that a beautiful picture - I wasn't sure if they did or not.

I certainly never saw it on shelve in this province. But Walmart had the "regular" version for a couple bucks cheaper than VWB. But, you know how it turned out and how silly the retail Canadian oil market is.

I love that people on BITOG are using these lists now. I remember a couple of years ago when there would just be a bunch of conjecture based on marketing claims and product data sheets. Now we just go to the EOLCS and Dexos1 lists and get answers right from the source!

It doesn't look like Safety-Kleen makes a GroupIII base oil, only II+ and II.

"Kleen Performance Products® base oil, previously Safety-Kleen Base, serves the needs of industrial and automotive customers requiring the highest quality Group II+ and API Group II paraffinic base oil."

They never mention making their own GroupIII base oils on their website. They do have synth blend fully formulated oils which use some GroupIII and II+ though, and some all-GroupIII products too.

On a somewhat related note, Safety-Kleen up here, which provide Walmart Canada with Super Tech (now called Tune It!). However, the fairly new Tune It! synthetic is not from Safety-Kleen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back