Grocery Shopping Tips

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by ecotourist
Originally Posted by atikovi
Go on a empty stomach. I can't get motivated to grocery shop when I'm not hungry.

Actually the recommendation is that you not go grocery shopping on an empty stomach. Seems that if you do that, you buy too much stuff and you're more susceptible to impulse buying.

If you buy too much you don't have to go back as often. And what's wrong with impulse buying? As long as it's not bad for you.

Originally Posted by Leo99
Originally Posted by Chris142
Originally Posted by krismoriah72
I have been 'mostly' shopping at ALDI the past month.. keeps me out of the oil aisle.

Terrible fruit and veggis there!

Aldi is known for their all organic produce.

Yes, but in our case it only seems to be good for 3-5 days at most. We use Aldi's For most of our stuff, Meijer for produce.

Never cared much for going to the grocery store, so I made a game of it. (I am single. NOT recommended for you married dude's!) Always use the check out line with the best looking cashier lady and do some friendly flirting. Actually got some phone numbers doing that!

I struggle at doing anything errand wise after work. I just want to go home and typically that's when things get busy too.

If time allows, I prefer to go during my lunch break for the quick things. Early Saturday AM for other things.

I also have my list in order.

^^This^^ I add things during the week as I think of them to a Keep list on my phone, so I always have the list with me in case something else comes up that necessitates a run to the area where the grocery store is located--for example, an oil and filter run to Walmart! It really helps to cut down on the big grocery run by picking up odds and ends of things needed when doing other errands. My wife prefers the all-day shopping siege, while I prefer the strategic strike-and-run approach to shopping.

Buy largest quantity of a thing, saves money.
Buy all of the oil you want when seen. Particularly Mobil1 15W-50 especially jugs before someone else does.
Know what store costs less in your area. Food 4 Less actualy costs less than Walmart in the Midwest for those near one.
Use coupons.

Use the Sam's Club "Scan n Go" app on a smartphone if you can. No more checkout lines.

I have no choice and have to do shopping on Saturday so as early in the day as possible. Even then, I'm sometimes unpleasantly surprised at the number of people in the store.

Today was the first time I went on a Saturday in a couple years …
Insane, glad I was getting things for just a couple meals …

Have you ever noticed on a busy day someone will leave a shopping cart to get another item and the cart is blocking everyone. A coworker of mine says when this happens he would add a small item or two to the cart and walk away.

Originally Posted by kwijibo
Have you ever noticed on a busy day someone will leave a shopping cart to get another item and the cart is blocking everyone. A coworker of mine says when this happens he would add a small item or two to the cart and walk away.

Another gamer.

Originally Posted by kwijibo
Nice...
frown.gif

Originally Posted by spackard
Use the Sam's Club "Scan n Go" app on a smartphone if you can. No more checkout lines.

Do they still have the attendant standing at the exit who checks receipts? I haven't been to a Sam's Club since the early 2000's.

I have a weekly grocery run where I get what I can at the Grocery Outlet and 99 Cent stores ( which are next door to each other for me ) and then do the other half that you can't get at a regular grocery chain. I typically save 25-30% plus on my monthly groceries. It can be worth it if you have these types of stores in your area. Examples: I just bought some boxes of Kashi cereal for .50 each that are almost $4.00 at the grocery chains, cottage cheese for .99 that's over $2.00 elsewhere, and I regularly buy fresh tomatoes, onions, and melons at my 99 cent store that are considerably cheaper than the grocery chains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back