Great deals for some one who needs some firepower

I mentioned the G21 I bought. Had some custom stippling done. Really pleased with the results.

The reason I bought a police turn in, was so that I didn’t have a whole lot of money in the gun. If this job turned out poorly, I would not have lost very much.

But it turned out great. The logo was crisp, the feel of the stippling and the frame is great, and they really did a nice job.

View attachment 221789
View attachment 221790
That is a fantastic job. Looks great!

I have no personal knowledge, but I would guess these pistols were traded in as departments transitioned from S&W .40s to 9mm. As such, I'd make an uninformed guess that most don't have a high round count.
Here in Las Vegas there are a lot of gun ranges that cater to the tourists with a variety of weapons for rent. I remember a couple of owners being interviewed on the radio. They were unhappy with the wear rate on their S&W .40 autos and had to replace them, if I remember correctly, at a ratio of three to four times the rate of their 9mm equivalents.
Right now S&W .40s are a bargain. Ammo used to be the price of .45ACP, now I've seen it the price of 9mm. Sportsman's Warehouse has Springfield XD S&W .40 mags for $2.99 each. That's about a 90% discount.

I've never been interested in that caliber in the past, but the way prices are going I think I need to rethink my position. Thumbs up for this thread.

I have no personal knowledge, but I would guess these pistols were traded in as departments transitioned from S&W .40s to 9mm. As such, I'd make an uninformed guess that most don't have a high round count.
Here in Las Vegas there are a lot of gun ranges that cater to the tourists with a variety of weapons for rent. I remember a couple of owners being interviewed on the radio. They were unhappy with the wear rate on their S&W .40 autos and had to replace them, if I remember correctly, at a ratio of three to four times the rate of their 9mm equivalents.
Right now S&W .40s are a bargain. Ammo used to be the price of .45ACP, now I've seen it the price of 9mm. Sportsman's Warehouse has Springfield XD S&W .40 mags for $2.99 each. That's about a 90% discount.

I've never been interested in that caliber in the past, but the way prices are going I think I need to rethink my position. Thumbs up for this thread.
Many of the .40S&W built on a 9mm frame experience accelerated wear. Beretta’s 96, a .40 built on the 9mm 92, was known for that, for example. It was known for breaking parts.

The S&W 4006, and 4046, which were all steel guns, held up well. The CHP had a custom 4046 built with a picatinny frame rail. They’re known for holding up well. But then, all of the 3rd generation S&W guns, with all steel construction, held up well, including the 10mm versions.

I think I would lean towards a G23, or a 4006, if I were going to get a .40S&W. Both have a reputation for durability. The Glock is available new. The 4006 is more of a collector item, these days, having been out of production for about 20 years.

Departments change out their guns periodically. Some of them more frequently than others, but it’s been interesting to see the rise and fall of the .40 in popularity.

To wrap up this discussion, I have a couple of police surplus guns, including a 3rd gen S&W 5906, an all steel gun, I bought it a few years ago. It was a bargain at about $300. $300 for an all steel gun with low round count, but a beat up grip that can be easily replaced, is a very good value.

Back