Great Article on GM/Daewoo Engineering

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol.gif

The best description I heard of the ***tek was "Man, it looks like an 89 Lemans h*mping a Sunfire!"

quote:

Originally posted by Steve S:
Lee Iacoccas cars were crap.

Can I be the first to suggest that you are a pinko for not worshiping the Mustang?
The K cars weren't crap relative to cars of the time. And they saved the company (and spawned the minivan).

Tosh, I would beg to differ. Having been a part of the car buying public at the time, AND having comparison shopped at the time as well, AND actually comparing these things new to other offerings of the same timeframe, my opinion of the K-cars was at the time and still is much in line with Steve's.

but they weren't as ugly as the 300.....
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif
, in fact at the ime time I believed they were quite attractive if in a very conservative manner.

quote:

Originally posted by kingrob:
lol.gif

The best description I heard of the ***tek was "Man, it looks like an 89 Lemans h*mping a Sunfire!"

The name is fitting.

Aztec

Montezuma was an Aztec who lived in what is now Mexico

One of it's nick names is "Montezuma's Revenge".

Montezuma's revenge is one of many names for "the sh*ts".

The Aztec was built in Mexico.

I can only conclude that someone at GM had sense of humor.

quote:

Originally posted by kenw:
Tosh, I would beg to differ. Having been a part of the car buying public at the time, AND having comparison shopped at the time as well, AND actually comparing these things new to other offerings of the same timeframe, my opinion of the K-cars was at the time and still is much in line with Steve's.

So, how did you like your Ford Tempo? Yeah, I thought K cars were crap too, but so was everything else then. I remember liking the styling and layout of the Renault Fuego Turbo. Ended up with a Fiesta, which wasn't too bad.

Daewoo makes a good car and I hope they can teach GM a thing or two about building quality and reliability. I owned an old Daewoo when I lived in Korea and I beat the heck out of it, never changed oil in the year I drove it, and it never failed me. I sold it for 50 cents to a soldier of mine who drove it for another two years before he left and passed it on to someone else.

I thought the Fiesta was quite easy to stay on top of. I'm not opening up any more if you're teasing me about it. I already took enough punishment for having an orange car.

quote:

Originally posted by Tosh:
I thought the Fiesta was quite easy to stay on top of. I'm not opening up any more if you're teasing me about it. I already took enough punishment for having an orange car.

I had an orange one as rental car shortly after they started selling them in the US. It was a fun car, definitely not your typical dead feeling US econobox of that era. It felt like it wanted to play instead of like it was being overworked keeping up with traffic.

I was amazed at how much torque steer they could get out of small engine.
grin.gif

How about torque bump on the K car? I had a standard, and the engine moved around on it's soft engine mounts (to smooth out the 4 banger, I suppose) so much, it would actually bump the tranny out of gear on down shifts. I was awfully glad I went for the 6 month trial lease, as they got that car back.

It warms my heart that there is something on this forum that we all can agree on - how bu** ugly the Aztec is
cheers.gif

Hey, don't let anyone diss you for driving orange. I had a flourescent orange 1983 Cavalier...... Chick Magnet!
worshippy.gif

quote:

Originally posted by OMCWankel:
How about torque bump on the K car? I had a standard, and the engine moved around on it's soft engine mounts (to smooth out the 4 banger, I suppose) so much, it would actually bump the tranny out of gear on down shifts. I was awfully glad I went for the 6 month trial lease, as they got that car back.

It warms my heart that there is something on this forum that we all can agree on - how bu** ugly the Aztec is
cheers.gif

I helped Design the Pontiac Aztec
frown.gif

Weren't the Fiestiva, Fiesta, and Aspire all Kia's products???

I heard that the '80's FWD Pontiac LeMans was a Kia with a Pontiac engine. Is this true???

quote:

Originally posted by Willy_G:
Weren't the Fiestiva, Fiesta, and Aspire all Kia's products???

I heard that the '80's FWD Pontiac LeMans was a Kia with a Pontiac engine. Is this true???

'80s Pontiac Lemans was a Daewoo but alot of the componants were made by Opel. the quality wasn't bad though.

The Ford Fiesta is a old ford product. the Ford FESTIVA was a world car. Mazda Design and Engineering, Kia built with few Kia COmponants and ford sold it. Aspire too.

GM is reliveing the 1970-1980's!!! THey are still trying to sell cars buy discounting them and spending big onmarketing. They are still trying to support the company with CHeaply built FWD cars and old school large gas guzzeling SUV's. This in a market that is experinces unusaly high energy costs just like the 1970's!

They need some small, medium and large RWD cars that have light weight very rigid platforms that work for the occupants and have good exterior styleing. They need refined and fuel effiecent engines in all catagorys I4-V8. It is not enough to have a few good engines and transmissions they must all be refined now.

GM needs to pull all of it's company's together with the best of each company and try to standardize their supply chain. They need to trim the division and quite doing the badge engieering stuff.Each division needs to concentrate on it's own market and quite trying to be everything to everyone! THey need to quite buting a different badge on each platform so that each division has the same products. If a division does not have a clear mission and market it should be elimanated.

GM needs to build their vechile up to the industry standards. Even their information show that they do not meet the standards of their competitors. THey need to concentrate on engineering and worry less about marketing.

Thanks K_r!!!

So GM has been working with Daewoo for quite a while, not just since the buy-out? I hope GM takes care of the GMDAT group and harvests good development/products.

Anyone remember the green TVs marketed in the U.S. by Daewoo in the late 80's???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back