Grease monkey recommends.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2001 Honda Accord 3.0
I was talking with the manager at Grease Monkey today. They recommend an oil change (Conventional oil) and a new air filter every 3,000 miles.
The Honda manual recommends 7,500 miles for an oil change and 30,000 miles to change the air filter.
Is it fair to say that auto garages are being wasteful or is the Honda manual stretching maintenance out to far?

Thank you

Most conventional oils are really a synthetic blend at this point and can easily do a 5k interval. I'd say split the difference on this one or switch to a synthetic for 7.5k.

Air filter every 3k miles? Cue huge laughter!
smirk2.gif
33.gif
50.gif

Many manufacturers nowadays are calling for 7500 mile oil/filter service even with conventional oils. Modern oils are really good compared to just 15 years ago. I would check your owner's manual and see if it calls for synthetic oil, it might not. I suggest that you use synthetic (it's not much more than conventional) and go the full 7500-miles between changes, with confidence.

The only way you would need a new air filter every 3000 miles is if you drove on super dusty roads 100% of the time. Even then, you could probably go 5000.

Originally Posted by AlphaRed
My 2001 Honda Accord 3.0
I was talking with the manager at Grease Monkey today. They recommend an oil change (Conventional oil) and a new air filter every 3,000 miles.
The Honda manual recommends 7,500 miles for an oil change and 30,000 miles to change the air filter.
Is it fair to say that auto garages are being wasteful or is the Honda manual stretching maintenance out to far?

Thank you

Maybe Grease Monkey uses COFFEE filters instead.

I was at the Volkswagen dealer today buying maintenance parts. They have a Golf R I was looking at. The sales manager suggested I buy it at full price due to demand. i told him the trailer tow rating was too low for my needs.

Even though my Honda manual recommends to change the air filter every 30,000 miles, I pulled mine out. It had 15,000 miles on it, dated 3/18 it was dirty and worthy of a replacement.

Thank you

Last edited:
Even though my Honda manual recommends to change the air filter every 30,000 miles, I pulled mine out. It had 15,000 miles on it, dated 3/18 it was dirty and worthy of a replacement.

Thank you

They don't have a time limit?
Some mfgrs reccomend miles or every two years or something similar.

The only thing that comes into play on your average paper air filter is whether it's dirty or not, that could be 50 miles or 50,000 miles. It just depends on the conditions you subject it to.

Be more concerned with the transmission. That motor will run forever with any decent oil and filter at 7500 mile changes and a timing belt/valve adjustment every 100k. They can have EGR problems, but that's easy enough to clean/fix.

If you haven't, its time to start D&F on the transmission though, and add that to your regularly scheduled list of things to do.

That must be the manager's own recommendation. Their corporate website suggests changing the oil per manufacturer's recommendation and the air filter as it gets dirty.

Grease Monkey Services

I'd drop corporate a note as to why this manager is not following the company's recommended intervals. He doesn't appear to be representing the company's opinions.

Are you sure he said change the air filter at 3K? How could anyone believe that??? LOL

I have no problem with a 3K OCI. Depends on your driving. I go between 3-5K on all my cars and I use "synthetic".
Most of my cars call for Air Filter change at 30K. I look at at them at 20K and make a decision. Since I only use OEM dealer
purchased parts, I feel comfortable going 25K.

My 2001 Honda Accord 3.0

Thank you

Of course they do.

Follow the owners manual not the Grease Monkey.

Thank you

Did you run it on a flow bench?

Looking doesn't count.

You will know when its time to change - when you are loosing WOT, high rpm power.
That's the only time you need high flow from your filter.

ECU will adjust.

Dirty filters can IMPROVE fuel mileage by throttling the engine.

On the oil If you drive the average 12-15K miles a year and fully warm up the engine regularly on the commute (1/2hour-45mins)
you would just need a Fall/Spring oil change regimen. Yes 2x per year.

ON ANY ILSAC oil.

Full Synthetic is not required - since it's not full synthetic anyway.

Originally Posted by sloinker
I was at the Volkswagen dealer today buying maintenance parts. They have a Golf R I was looking at. The sales manager suggested I buy it at full price due to demand. i told him the trailer tow rating was too low for my needs.

That's nice.......what does it have to do with the topic? Did you post in the wrong area?

My 2001 Honda Accord 3.0

Thank you

I drove a 1998 4-cylinder Accord for many years and the manual showed, under normal conditions, to change the oil every 7,500 mi and the oil filter every 15,000 mi. I then read the description of normal vs severe service in the manual and realized that I (and the majority of drivers) should follow the severe service schedule. Severe service was to change the oil and oil filter every 3,000 mi.

I wouldn't change the air filter every 3,000 miles, but I would definitely change the oil and oil filter every 3,000 miles on conventional. Even if you use a product that comes with a mileage rating (like Mobil1 Annual Protection), you should still be checking the oil level to make sure you don't run the car low on oil.

Originally Posted by ls973800
Come on people, it had to have been a misunderstanding. I am sure OIL filter was recommended to be changed every 3000 miles, not the air filter.

Sorry, but the manager was clear that I should change the air filter every 3,000 miles. He went into detail about it.

Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back