Grease for screw drive garage door opener

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have one of these garage door openers? Have you found a good grease for the screw drive? I've tried a few but they don't last long. If you get a sticky grease it has too much resistance and causes more problems.

I use SL-10 from MPC. It is an oil/grease combo. It does not get sticky, and in fact keeps the screw very clean. It has a very effective EP add to both the grease and oil. Made my door VERY quiet. I also use it on the hinges and rollers of my sectional garage door...also very quiet. Makes for a very effective "general purpose" lube for around the house/autos and is fairly cheap.

I have a friend who has been in the garage door business for 30 years. He uses a white lithium grease from Genie in a squeeze tube and runs a bead along the screw. I'm pretty sure it's just plain white lithium grease. Not sure if that is the ultimate grease to use, but that is what Genie uses.

The Amsoil NGLI #2, Multipurpose synthetic spray grease works very well for this application....

I've tried a number of spray lubes (including Amsoils HDMP spray), but they all tended to get noisy in cold weather. The PAO based Amsoil grease does not seem to have this problem and is quick and easy to apply every few months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back