Grease for a steel on steel plain bushing for dryer?

Seen some similar posts, but they all were regarding oil bronze bushings.

I have a dryer that has steel on steel plain bearings for the drum rollers. I imagine the originals were bronze, but this is how I received it. Normally I'd just get OEM style wheels to replace them (or find a way to get some ball bearings in there), but I'll be selling the dryer before winter. I just want to get it in the best condition I can for whoever its future owner is (without spending $60 on roller wheels). Part number for the wheels is 8536973 if a reference is needed.

Any idea what would work best here? I have plenty of different lubricants lying around. A few that seem like good contenders are
  • Silicone grease w/ PTFE
  • Timken wheel bearing grease
  • NLGI #2 GC-LB lithium complex EP w/ moly
  • Or, if dust and lint collection is really a concern, maybe Hornady One Shot

The wheel bearing grease seems like a good place to start. I'm assuming the silicone grease is pretty close to dielectric grease and might not be as tacky over time.

When you say plain bearings do you mean like a bushing? Or like open roller bearing? Either way you probably can't go wrong with any decent quality GC-LB rated grease but if its a steel bushing I'd use some moly grease (schaeffers, valvoline synpower, palladium, etc). I doubt its a very critical application and most greases would probably be fine.

Lint buildup is a potential issue. I replaced my dryer rollers within the last two mos. Longtime parts supplier said use sewing machine oil or nothing. BTW, those are indeed regular steel pins, and the rollers have oilite bushing centres.

When you say plain bearings do you mean like a bushing? Or like open roller bearing? Either way you probably can't go wrong with any decent quality GC-LB rated grease but if its a steel bushing I'd use some moly grease (schaeffers, valvoline synpower, palladium, etc). I doubt its a very critical application and most greases would probably be fine.
Yup, just a bushing. Synpower is the GC-LB I have, so I'm leaning that direction right now based on the input so far.

Lint buildup is a potential issue. I replaced my dryer rollers within the last two mos. Longtime parts supplier said use sewing machine oil or nothing. BTW, those are indeed regular steel pins, and the rollers have oilite bushing centres.
I checked the rollers, and they are just steel of some sort. They look identical to some cheap off-brands from Amazon when I search for the OEM part number.

The rollers I used were OEM ones. The jobbers I saw at the parts store (,the alternative) were much lighter duty, and may not have been oilite.

I had wanted to replace the pins too, but they were crazy-expensive versus just the OEM rollers.

Back