Grease for a semi

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been running Chevron ultra duty for a while. It is the recommended grease for Spicer universals and it qorks well after yeas of issues with other greases. But it doesn't seem to last 4000 miles in the front spring bushings and the steering gets a bit sticky. But im sure everything else is good to go qt that point. I'm thinking of running two greases. Here's the following areas that need grease:

Steering: kingpins(top and bottom), tie rods, steering shaft (2 joints plus slip joint), drag link. Ep needed.

Driveline: 5 ujoints, 2 slipjoints. I plan on running ultra duty in the universals

Clutch: throw out bearing that needs high temp, not sure if moly is a good idea. Two clutch fork bushings and clutch linkage. Those could use a basic grease.

Brakes: each wheel end has a slack adjuster and s cam tube that needs grease. You're supposed to use polyurea but nobody does. The ultra duty tends to come out pretty clean but I'm sure a good water resistant grease would be better.

Front axle: 3 on each spring. Ultra duty isn't cutting it. I'm sure a good moly grease would be best.

I'm thinking of replacing everything except the universals and throw out bearing with one of the moly Schaeffer greases.

Last edited:
We use nothing but Schaeffers #238, OR anything with 5% MOLY

every thing on our Heavy trucks gets moly!

So I shouldn't be afraid to use it on the ujoints? Or the throwout bearing? I think polyurea in the slacks and s cams would be optimal but at what point are we splitting hairs. One thing is that's what trucks come from the factory and polyurea and lithium greases don't like each other.

With the 238 how long do you go between greasing?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: allan5oh
So I shouldn't be afraid to use it on the ujoints? Or the throwout bearing? I think polyurea in the slacks and s cams would be optimal but at what point are we splitting hairs. One thing is that's what trucks come from the factory and polyurea and lithium greases don't like each other.

With the 238 how long do you go between greasing?

Nope and nope, and above all only Moly on the 5th wheels, anything that "slides".

We use Hrs(100) for grease service, were under extreme use category because the environment the trucks are exposed to, 238 is a great grease stays in place and don't wash out very easily.

Just did S cams and bushings on two trailer axels this year and everything looked fine yet.

While I'm a fan of Chevron products, the Delo Ultra was a little bit of a let down for me, too. I purchased a case last year and after a few grease jobs I relegated the rest of it to a 5th wheel grease.

I no longer have spring bushings to grease but I judge a grease by steering and cushioning feel and how long that good feel lasts. A few years ago I tried Mystik JT-6 Hi Temp and it was the best ever for me. It gave the steering and king pin cushioning a good feel and it lasted longer than anything I had used before. That is one I could recommend.

I switched last year to Mobil Delvac Extreme and it is nearly as good as the Mystik in both feel and the distance that it lasts. I only tried it because the truckstops I use for oil changes use the Delvac Extreme and I can maintain the same stuff in between oci's. It has worked out well for me.

I've never tried Schaeffer's but have read many complimentary words about it. Shell Gadus (formerly Retinax in the U.S.) was similar to Delo Ultra in my opinion so I would discourage using that.

Just my two cents. I grease my truck every 3k-5k miles.

Edit- I've always used the same greases (lithium complex) in the cams and slacks. Never an issue for me in 18 years of truck ownership.

Last edited:
I'd just be afraid of getting moly on the clutch. 100 hours in extreme service sounds really good. My operation is nowhere near extreme but probably worse than most. Any issues with cold weather?

I'd just be afraid of getting moly on the clutch. 100 hours in extreme service sounds really good. My operation is nowhere near extreme but probably worse than most. Any issues with cold weather?

When greasing throw out bearings 2-3 pumps max is all that's needed twice a year. If really cold breaks may lag(return) some on trailers that's not pulled often because of the 238's base but never had a true problem.

Well I just did the first 300 miles on this new grease. I'm shocked at how much better this truck rides and handles. Also put some on the 5th wheel that helps with the handling. It also slid under the my loaded trailer and lifted it up with little effort. I'm sold! I jut hope this stuff lasts longer.

I did a bigger than usual job on the clutch too. Put some on the fork fingers by hand. The clutch feels really nice too. Usually they start to stiffen up after driving a few hours and that didn't happen.

Good to hear, I really like the grease been using it for years. And having one "go to" grease helps out too, makes it easy!

It's great for water resisting(washout)also.

In the "for what it's worth" department... I recently purchased a new truck and have been reading the owners manual.

In the section for Haldex brand slack adjusters it says not to use moly loaded grease. It says "both the life and reliability of the slack adjuster will be reduced if this type of grease is used".

Only the Meritor brand slacks with extended interval greasing require Polyurea grease. In that case they don't even have fittings, they only need to be greased at 3 years or 500k mles.

I have Haldex slacks so I guess I'll remain a non-moly grease user. I've never had anything wear out or need replacement while using non-moly grease so it can't be a bad thing.

Well I just did the first 300 miles on this new grease. I'm shocked at how much better this truck rides and handles. Also put some on the 5th wheel that helps with the handling. It also slid under the my loaded trailer and lifted it up with little effort. I'm sold! I jut hope this stuff lasts longer.

I did a bigger than usual job on the clutch too. Put some on the fork fingers by hand. The clutch feels really nice too. Usually they start to stiffen up after driving a few hours and that didn't happen.

It is not clear which one your new grease is, the one you are so satisfied with. Is it the Schaeffers 238?

Originally Posted By: daman

When greasing throw out bearings 2-3 pumps max is all that's needed twice a year.

Well, I use a lot more than that. It is more like 5 pumps every time the clutch needs an internal adjustment, which is every three months. Haven't had any excess grease work its way on to the clutch yet.

I am very happy using Chevron Delo EP #2 for most application and it just works well on everything we have used it with.

Originally Posted By: vssjim
I am very happy using Chevron Delo EP #2 for most application and it just works well on everything we have used it with.

No doubt it's a good grease. I'm not a fan of Shell Gadus grease but I used it for many years without any problems. Never had to replace anything due to lack of grease performance. Once I tried different greases though, I found that some are better than others in how well it feels and how long that good feel sticks around in the front end parts of a big rig.

The Gadus and Delo Ultra EP just didn't seem to cushion as well, didn't give as much of a tight feel nor last as long after greasing. After a fresh greasing, as the miles go by the cushioning effect diminishes (driving on cracked concrete and such) and the steering feel becomes a bit numb. I'm quite fussy about this stuff so I judge greases by a good feel and it's longevity in a tough application.

Originally Posted By: George7941

When greasing throw out bearings 2-3 pumps max is all that's needed twice a year.

Well, I use a lot more than that. It is more like 5 pumps every time the clutch needs an internal adjustment, which is every three months. Haven't had any excess grease work its way on to the clutch yet.

Every 3 months? somebody needs to learn how to use a clutch, throw outs require very little grease(the cavity is small), crawl under pull the inspection plate off look up in there your going to have grease all over.

The truck is a pickup and delivery truck used in stop and go traffic in a big city. Different drivers drive the truck, some are more careful with the truck than others.

I take off the inspection cover at the bottom of the bell housing to adjust the clutch and there is no excess grease there. It is a pull clutch and the release bearing is constantly spinning, even with the clutch pedal fully up.

Quote:
It is not clear which one your new grease is, the one you are so satisfied with. Is it the Schaeffers 238?

It is the 238.

Who should I get in contact with to buy more? I emailed them plus a few reps and got zero response. I'm in Winnipeg, MB and there are no reps here. I'm looking to buy some 238, landing gear grease (equivalent of Chevron Arctic RPM, needs to be thin light and not tacky whatsoever) and some other stuff.

Last edited:
Every 3 months? somebody needs to learn how to use a clutch, throw outs require very little grease(the cavity is small), crawl under pull the inspection plate off look up in there your going to have grease all over.

Eaton recommends every 25,000 miles:

- Grease the throwout bearing until grease purges out onto the input shaft in between the TO bearing housing and clutch brake. This can take quite a few pumps
- Put some grease on the input shaft itself by hand
- Put grease on the two fingers of the fork where it contacts the throwout bearing
- Make sure to get some grease on the clutch brake itself which seems dumb, but that's what they want!

Between all that and greasing the two fork bushings you're going to make a mess. But it shoudln't get on the clutch. My dad had a solo clutch last 2.3 million KM and he greases more often than 25,000 miles and the clutch had no grease issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back