Graphite Oil Again.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this subject has been discussed here quite extensively, but I still don't entirely understand the outcome.....

In the various threads on graphite oil, more specifically, AARCO Graphite Oil from the 1970's, there are numerous posts from people who used it. Almost all those people said they really liked it and had positive experinces with it. There are several stories about people getting 100,000-plus miles on vehicles using this oil. As well, the people who used it said their cars ran smoother and got better gas mileage. There are no counter-stories about people whose motor failed directly because of this oil. The most serious problem the oil seemed to cause is it fouled plugs if it go into the CC.

Of the people who didn't like the oil or who wouldn't use it, the main complaint was the black color, which is probably the main reason it didn't last. Also because of this, if it leaked or was spilled, it made a bad mess.

Today, most newer cars are very well built; they don't tend to leak or burn oil at all. Therefore, since the main issue that caused problems with this oil in the 70's has diminished, could graphite oil be a good idea now? Especially since it does seem to improve running and gas mileage?

As for the color, these days, people are getting a lot more open-minded about lubricants (led by those at BITOG). In the 70's if you had told peole to run gree-ish or purple oil, they would have had the same reaction: 'no thanks, thats not the color oil is supposed to be'. Now that we are more open-minded, if graphite oil was shown to be a good product, maybe people would run it, and accept the color, knowing it was doing their engines good?

The end of all this is I just don't understand exactly what is bad about graphite oil besides the color. If that is all the problem is, that seems kinda lame, especially here....

That will be interesting to see....start to give some proof of whether this is a good thing or bad....

quote:

As for the color, these days, people are getting a lot more open-minded about lubricants (led by those at BITOG). In the 70's if you had told peole to run gree-ish or purple oil, they would have had the same reaction: 'no thanks, thats not the color oil is supposed to be'. Now that we are more open-minded, if graphite oil was shown to be a good product, maybe people would run it, and accept the color, knowing it was doing their engines good?

Alas, there are "only" 10k or so of us, and for every single BITOG member there are 20k other Americans, the vast majority of whom are only dimly aware of the existence of motor oil in the first place.
rolleyes.gif
I'm afraid that in the minds (dare I credit them with having one...) of most of them, Black = Dirty = End of Story. I was fascinated with ARCO Graphite myself, but I was a kid back then, so never had a chance to try the stuff. Now if they could only make "white graphite" -- oh wait, I think they call that "moly". . .
cheers.gif

My friend who used Aarco graphite had a small leak from his valve cover. It short circuited spark plugs wherever the oil leaked.

Another possible complaint was the the graphite clogged the cross hatches on the cylinder walls and caused oil starvation at the rings because there were no nooks and crannies for the oil to lodge into on the walls.

I ran arco graphite in a new 79 chev monza with the v8.I finally changed over to standard dino oil because the graphite was oozing from everywhere.It even showed oozeage at places like the oil pressure senders(2 of them on chevys)

Well the shorts would be bad, as would be clogging the cross-hatching, if that was actually taking place. On the other hand, the ooozeage (great new word, btw...
wink.gif
) might be another story. Was it claimed that the oil caused the ooze, or was the engine just leaking anyway, and the oil was just functioning as an extremely effective dye marker showing otherwise unseen leaks in all their ooozing glory?
dunno.gif

In the 78 Mazda GLC (323) I ran Arco Graphite. 80K miles out of 120K on mostly it. I had oozeage problems too but had the oozation before the Graphite and could hardly see it. When I changed to Graphite it showed real well. So ekpolk, yes it was a good marker. DaveJ

The major problem with graphite was the particle SIZE,it was too large,even slick 50 teflon particle size is smaller and of course suspending graphite was also the problem,when heated, cooled and engine moisture added to problem,in later days ARCO somewhat overcame these issues,in fact towards the end of this lube it really was very good compaired to the existing oils of the day.......BL

I use AARCO Graphite in my 1980 Mustang back in the day. It was a 2.3 litre turbo and before the car hit 30,000 miles the engine had to undergo a complete rebuild. The problem.....massive carbon buildup in the combustion chambers. The warranty at the time was 2 year or 24,000 miles and it was beyond that. It cost me a small fortune to get the car back on the road.

I believe graphite is "carbon"

Never used it again.

I ran ARCO Graphite in my 454 Chevelle and it loved it. It was carbureted and idled 300-400 rpm higher with the graphite oil than with any other oil. All the other oils were the same.

Clogging the cross-hatching??

Have you ever torn down an engine? (Did you find clogged cross-hatching?)
So you really think that the lubricating property of the graphite would fail if it were in the cross hatch? (I don’t claim to know for a fact but the information I had was that the graphite was a lubricant)
Some of the theory that is posted on this site is just silly and are not based on any type of education on the subject or any actual and verifiable testing
And for the oil company to explain why a label change was done and people starting a thread about how they don’t trust the maker of one of the highest quality oils is just another example of a rant about an alarming situation that is not warranted and does not exist

Just my 2cent

Posted by ComancheDude:
quote:

And for the oil company to explain why a label change was done and people starting a thread about how they don’t trust the maker of one of the highest quality oils is just another example of a rant about an alarming situation that is not warranted and does not exist

Gosh thanks for enlightening us, Dude, I'm not sure how we've gotten along without your insight.

No, what's silly is, in your very first post, aggressively stating your personal opinion as if it's immutable fact. So where are your facts, the ones that should lead customers to blindly and unquestioningly accept everything that we're told by the oil companies???
rolleyes.gif

I was witness to a 1978 Chevrolet G20 van using Arco Graphite. Went over 400K without removing the heads. Plug fouling not a big issue. It was a work truck for a carpet installer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back