graphite diesel oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim

Here is a company that is still selling a diesel oil containing graphite.
 -

Application -
TL-109 Graphite 15W40 is firstly recommended for highly rated turbocharger diesel engines, with or without air inter-cooling system, fitted on trucks, public works equipment's and buses under severe conditions. TL-109 Graphite 15W40 is a long grain oil, particularly suitable in case of long drain intervals such as: Mercedes-Benz, Man, Rvi, Daf, Scania, Volvo, Iveco. TL-109 Graphite 15W40 viscosimetric characteristics, makes it widely usable under extreme conditions of climate [/B]
Any comments?

[ June 20, 2003, 04:12 AM: Message edited by: rugerman1 ]

I used ARCO graphite many years ago. Seems like I read some where that the graphite acted as an abrasive in the engine. Could not tell you where but it was in the seventies.

The oil you linked seems to very ordinary maybe even less than ordinary. The pour, flash and VI seem poor to me. Compare this to Pennzoil, Chevron or Conoco get a good dino comparison.

The first thing I see wrong with it is, it meets API CE/SE. Both specs very outdated. I also think graphite was blamed for clogging oil passages or something.

I also tried Arco Graphite in the 1970's. There is something troubling about putting black oil in an engine. It looked dirty even when new!

Last I knew at least a couple of Saturn dealerships still sell a graphite containing oil supplement. It is called Krex. The company that makes it has been in business a long time. Apparently they sell only to new car dealerships. They also sell other products like fuel injector cleaner. At one time there were supposed to be about a thousand new car dealerships that still sold that product.

I am a great believer in graphite, but the things I have read saying it
doesn't do any good in oil have sounded convincing. I was putting an
old trailer jack back together this morning. (Can you buy left hand
3/4-8 acme screw nuts?) I wondered as a boundary lube after
everything else is gone, if putting graphite on the parts before
assembling them would help. I put a silicone grease on the Acme
screw with the Form a Thread sleeve. I put graphite on the sliding
surfaces of the telescoping tubes and the gears and then Lubrimatic
Lithium grease. Getting grease to the top of the tubes and under the
gears is tough without disassembling it. I wonder if the graphite will
help?

Status