Graphing Calculators

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm starting pre-calc in the spring and a graphing calculator is required for the course. My current course is a engineering degree. I want a calculator that will last me through out the rest of my college career. The TI-83 series is popular and some what cheap. I've also thought about buying a Palm for electronic books but grahping calc. software is available for the Palm. From what I've read this option has alot more features, but to me a Palm might be harder to use.. having to punch the numbers in versus typing. I think i've narrowed it down between a TI-89(Titanuim maybe) or a palm. Suggestions anyone?

Just finishing up with a refresher in basic electrical engineering and the 89 is what I used. I looked at the 84 plus but went with the 89 instead. It's actually been overkill for what I've used it for, but better too much than too little. Makes the simplest problems just too easy. You'll spoil yourself with it if you're not careful. Don't know anything about a palm.

Careful with the Palm, some teachers might not let you use it on tests since you could write yourself a little cheat-sheet on it...

I take Precalculus and currently have a TI-83 Plus; wish I had waited and bought the TI-84 Plus or Silver Edition. If you'd like to buy a calculator that'll still be worthy of using thru the coming years, I HIGHLY recommend the TI-89 Titanium.

I'd buy whatever is the most up to date in the TI-83 series or equivelent(TI-84?). it has more functions then you will ever need and everyone will know how to use it. I bought a TI-86, it's a great calculator, but every class I've had I've been on my own to figure out how to operate it, which is harder then it sounds when you really need it and you can't find it. If I would have had an 83 the instructions are in most math books. another bonus of the 83 is if you ever take stats it has a very complete stats package, including z table and t table calculations. I know the 86 has a very minimal stats package and doesn't have. nobody in any of my classes has known how to operate a TI-89 including the people who owned them.

before considering a palm make sure your teacher will allow it in their class. I'll bet they won't.

Any calculator that is too powerful will not be allowed due to the "use for cheat" fear. Same goes for Palm. If you are to get one, be prepared that you are not allowed to use it in a test and have a backup TI-82/83.

Good points. Didn't think about the cheat factor, if I had a chat with the right director I might be able to get it allowed... not worth the trouble though. Also the book recommends the TI-83 and I imagine the class will be taylored around it, since it's the cheapest. I think i'm going to settle on the 83 or whatever their lowest model is.

I am just about to graduate with an engineering degree. I have had a ti-89 since taking calculus my junior year in HS. I feel the ti-89 (or hp equivalent) is mandatory, I use it all of the time. Just be prepared to not be able to use it in some math classes, but other classes other than math allowed me to use it.

About 20 years ago, when the HP-41CV and CX were popular among my classmates, my dad pointed out that I might find myself at a psychological disadvantage (and therefore a competitive disadvantage) if I didn't have the latest calculating powerhouse. It sounds like paperback psychology, but I was pretty happy with my new HP-41CV back then. Things moved a little slower in those days, so it stayed current for a while. With computers capable of more, I haven't programmed or graphed with a calculator for over a decade. I've come to realize that a calculator should be cheap first of all, because it will not die a natural death. Get what your classmates have.

I have a TI-89, which is nice for doing semi-real calculus (read: easy stuff that Im too lazy to do in my head or on paper) otherwise I dont see the need, its just 'bling' in math class
smile.gif

Honestly, my favorite calculator was and still is the TI-82... The interface and key layout is more intuitive, and it does anything that most anyone would need... I dont think it has an interpolation function, but you can program that into the memory super easy. I use my TI-82 quite often... Im an 02 bachelors, 04 masters chemical engineer, so Im not that "old school"...

I vote for a good old TI-82, you could probably find one used for about $25.

JMH

"Went ahead and bought a TI-84 Silver Edition, $80 on ebay. Thanks everyone."

New? If so, thats an awesome deal.
cheers.gif

Not new, but says "nice condition" and has everything. Even if it has a few scratches still better than paying new.

The Ti-84 should do you fine. I have some friends who are ME, CE and PE majors... some who are about to graduate and they use their TI-83 Plus. I am a business major and the TI-83 Plus I got over 6 years ago has served me well and will continue to serve me well... well with the exception of business statistics II, which only allows the use of a Ti-36, nothing more or less... I hate scientific calculators.

quote:

About 20 years ago, when the HP-41CV and CX were popular among my classmates, my dad pointed out that I might find myself at a psychological disadvantage (and therefore a competitive disadvantage) if I didn't have the latest calculating powerhouse. It sounds like paperback psychology, but I was pretty happy with my new HP-41CV back then. Things moved a little slower in those days, so it stayed current for a while. With computers capable of more, I haven't programmed or graphed with a calculator for over a decade. I've come to realize that a calculator should be cheap first of all, because it will not die a natural death. Get what your classmates have.

After 25+ years of using an assortment of HP calculators, I find myself unable to do complex calculations with anything that has algebraic entry.

I don't know if it's an advantage or a disadvantage at this point, but that's how it is. They'll get my HP when they pry it from my cold dead fingers...
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back