Grand Cherokee rear suspension issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with the EcoDiesel and standard suspension.

At 58,000 miles, the rear shocks are failing for the third time; I’m getting that hollow clunk in the rear again. Warranty replacement with the fourth set is going to happen this week.

The vehicle is stock. I use it mostly for commuting. I have never overloaded it with cargo, nor towed for more than a short distance across town when I rented a U-Haul trailer and helped friends move. It’s been down some muddy roads getting to trailheads or campsites, but I’ve never beaten on it. The front suspension is the original, and hasn’t been a problem. The troubled part is 68069680AG if that’s helpful. Here is the text from repair number two, which happened last summer.

There are no TSBs which apply to the condition and my vehicle. This one seems to describe the sound, but my GC was manufactured after the cutoff date. The dealership can’t tell me why this is happening. Does anyone have thoughts on the matter?

Get Bilstein shocks and don't look back
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
smile.gif

I’ll keep using the OEM parts as long as FCA is paying for them, so I’d rather just figure this out so my vehicle isn’t out of service annually.

Bilstein makes a set of 4600-Series shocks for this; part numbers 24-225410 and 24-225427. That’s $500 just in parts though, which I can’t justify since the OEM replacements are free.

Yepp, as long as you're not paying for the shocks.

But I will always +1 any Bilstein recommendations

Last edited:
smile.gif

Plus a few more
smile.gif
Or, go Rancho.

But, like the others have said, as long as FCA is paying, keep em coming ...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bandito440

I’ll keep using the OEM parts as long as FCA is paying for them, so I’d rather just figure this out so my vehicle isn’t out of service annually.

Bilstein makes a set of 4600-Series shocks for this; part numbers 24-225410 and 24-225427. That’s $500 just in parts though, which I can’t justify since the OEM replacements are free.

Not really a good argument if the parts are crap AND you had to go multiple times. Going through THREE sets shocks within 60k is TERRIBLE!

Your free shocks seem to be overpriced.

I was wondering why the 4600's for your GC were so expensive and then I saw a picture. Have you checked on any Jeep forums to see if others are having the same issue? Could be that the rear OEM shocks are just not up to task.

As others have said, once you are out of warranty, go Bilstein. I have the 5100's on my 4Runner and love them.

Not really a good argument if the parts are crap AND you had to go multiple times. Going through THREE sets shocks within 60k is TERRIBLE!
You’re right; it is terrible. That’s why I’m posting here, asking if anyone knows why they might be failing.

I suppose we all have different ways of determining value. For me, saving $800 or so (incl. labor) is significant. I just drop it off at the dealer, and they drive me to and from work. That money represents a weeklong vacation to the Rocky Mountains in Sept. that I would rather go on than cancel and buy a new suspension while mine is under warranty (24 months on parts). I’m not poor, but $800 is a fair amount of money to me.

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with the EcoDiesel and standard suspension.

At 58,000 miles, the rear shocks are failing for the third time; I’m getting that hollow clunk in the rear again. Warranty replacement with the fourth set is going to happen this week.

The vehicle is stock. I use it mostly for commuting. I have never overloaded it with cargo, nor towed for more than a short distance across town when I rented a U-Haul trailer and helped friends move. It’s been down some muddy roads getting to trailheads or campsites, but I’ve never beaten on it. The front suspension is the original, and hasn’t been a problem. The troubled part is 68069680AG if that’s helpful. Here is the text from repair number two, which happened last summer.

There are no TSBs which apply to the condition and my vehicle. This one seems to describe the sound, but my GC was manufactured after the cutoff date. The dealership can’t tell me why this is happening. Does anyone have thoughts on the matter?

Interestingly, that's not the description for that part # (standard suspension with load levelling and height control) on this site:
https://www.moparpartscanada.ca/auto-par...suspension-scat

For part #68069680AG: With quadra-lift, performance.
For part #68069680AE: Grand Cherokee. With height control. With quadra-lift, normal duty. With load leveling, with sport suspension.

For "standard" suspension with load levelling and height control, there is:
For part #68069675AD: Grand Cherokee. With height control. Standard suspension. With load leveling susp. With quadra-lift, normal duty.

21.gif

So it seems you have Sport or Performance suspension, based on that part #.

That must be some Canadian witchcraft!

I have the basic suspension; there is no sport nor load-leveling component. In 2014, the options were standard, air-adjustable (leveling), and SRT (sport).

I’m guessing there’s a typo involved somewhere, but my suspension is the standard non-adjustable, non-leveling, and non-SRT. Perhaps the dealer billed it wrong, or that website isn’t listing the right part.

That must be some Canadian witchcraft!

I have the basic suspension; there is no sport nor load-leveling component. In 2014, the options were standard, air-adjustable (leveling), and SRT (sport).

I’m guessing there’s a typo involved somewhere, but my suspension is the standard non-adjustable, non-leveling, and non-SRT. Perhaps the dealer billed it wrong, or that website isn’t listing the right part.

I'd hope the part #'s are universal, LOL

According to the site, the correct shocks should be: 68069671AE

I crawled under the Jeep to see if I could get the number off the actual part. Of course, the labels are gone. More investigation tomorrow.

Either way, they’re breaking.

My grandpa's 14' Grand Cherokee Limited's rear shocks are pretty toast. No noise, but they bounce while going through dips. Fronts are fine, not sure if any have been replaced. Has 108k miles.

I guess struts are a weak point on these? I had a 2015 and the LF blew out in spectacular fashion leaving a puddle on the garage floor. That was the only problem in 70k, the rears held up.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I guess struts are a weak point on these? I had a 2015 and the LF blew out in spectacular fashion leaving a puddle on the garage floor. That was the only problem in 70k, the rears held up.

The same thing happened to me on my 2015. (Not in, "spectacular fashion". It just started leaking on the floor like yours). Only it was at 3,000 miles. They replaced it free, and I've had no issues since.

I crawled under the Jeep to see if I could get the number off the actual part. Of course, the labels are gone. More investigation tomorrow.

Either way, they’re breaking.

I can't imagine them putting the wrong part # on causing them to fail, but
21.gif

I have the feeling the shocks are just too light duty for this application, I had a 69 Riviera that ate shocks like they were wiper blades. Koni shocks were the cure, Bilstein will also work well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back