GP5500 Generator Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a Generac GP5500 generator last fall to use for hunting season. We put just shy of 400 hours on it and I'm about to drain and change the oil so we can use it this summer with the travel trailer.

It's splash lubrication and the owners manual calls for 10w30 or SAE 30. I was going to put some synthetic oil in it this time, are there any preferred oils for generators? It will see occasional use this summer but come August when we are prepping for deer season it will get used every weekend until mid January.

I should clarify this is not the first oil change, I was using dino Quaker State 10w30 during the hunting season.

Amsoil Small Engine Oil or Rotella 10w30.....both have proper levels of additives designed for them. I personally use the amsoil. Doesn't break down as quick as a conventional oil and doesn't come out looking like black tar

Originally Posted By: RichardSenn
I bought a Generac GP5500 generator last fall to use for hunting season. We put just shy of 400 hours on it and I'm about to drain and change the oil so we can use it this summer with the travel trailer.

It's splash lubrication and the owners manual calls for 10w30 or SAE 30. I was going to put some synthetic oil in it this time, are there any preferred oils for generators? It will see occasional use this summer but come August when we are prepping for deer season it will get used every weekend until mid January.

I use Amsoil 4-Stroke Small Engine oil in all of my OPE. Its made for small air oooled engines.

Last edited:
I've seen Rotella mentioned a several times for generators. Is one preferred over the other say T5 or T6, or does it matter?

I never know where to get Amsoil. Called two dealers here locally last year and wanted to order some for the truck and they never got back with me. Getting Amsoil seems like a hassle, at least where I'm at.

Is one preferred over the other say T5 or T6

If you want to use Rotella, T5 10w-30 for your application.

Valvoline VR1 Syn 10w-30
Rotella T5 or T6
Red Line 10w-30
Amsoil 4-Stroke

Whatever's easiest for you to get your hands on. Just change it frequently.

For air cooled engines I like T6 and have 7 gallons on hand but I am using some M1 10w-40 High Mileage because is is rated for high temp usage but mainly to get the moly.

Not saying any science is behind the testing and may just be bored with T6. It really is good oil as is the T5 15w-40 for hot areas. I never put something in a generator that is not good for 365 days out of the year.

T6 is a great option. Also, my personal favorite, Mobil 1, 5W-40 Turbo Diesel Truck. It's a commonly available synthetic, with a very robust additive package. Interestingly, it seems more shear stable than T6 in motorcycle applications.

I've gotten the very best UOA results using TDT. Better than any other oil I've ever tried. And, my results are not unique. The Turbo-diesel VW group did a study on wear metals per mile. TDT came out on top. Often 2 or 3 times better (in wear metals per 1000 miles) than the conventional oils VW was requiring.

I use it in my JD tractor with 18HP Kawasaki, and in my Kawasaki powered water pumps.

Since I am in South Florida, I do use 15W-50 M1 in my Subaru powered 5500W generator. That thing gets abused and the more viscous oil really holds up well to the conditions it operates in.

I guess I didn't realize Amsoil would let you order direct from there site. I think I'm going to order the 4 stroke 10w30 small engine oil or try one last time to get it locally.

If I don't go the Amsoil route I'm leaning towards the Rotella T6 or Mobil 1.

I guess I didn't realize Amsoil would let you order direct from there site. I think I'm going to order the 4 stroke 10w30 small engine oil or try one last time to get it locally.

Sure you can! Please support BITOG via the site sponsor.

Please use this link: Amsoil ASE 10W-30

If you go direct to Amsoil.com please use #515729. Thanks!

For my 5500 Watt B&S generator I'm using their Briggs and Stratton 5W30 synthetic oil. They give it the widest temperature operating range and least burn off. I got a bunch for $4.78/quart. An alternative would be Mobil 1 HM 5W30, it's SL rated. For my Troy-Bilt power washer I've used straight 30 weight detergent oil. It has a Briggs & Stratton 4.5 HP engine. It's only been used in the summer. It hasn't been used for several years. I have a feeling it's going to be a "project" to get operating properly.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: Pablo

Sure you can! Please support BITOG via the site sponsor.

Please use this link: Amsoil ASE 10W-30

If you go direct to Amsoil.com please use #515729. Thanks!

Good to know, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back