Got some Arizonian tires put on the Taurus

I had a set of these on a Volvo (car in avatar actually). They were surprisingly good; good dry and wet traction, reasonably quiet, good directional stability and the sidewalls weren't all mushy (225/60-16 size).

Even moderately priced tires can be surprisingly good these days.

One thing that bothers me about service facilities is that the people in the bay seem to think they're in some sort of a race. I don't know if the boss tells them that they can go home when they're finished but watching some youtube videos of how they operate at Discount Tire sort of scares me.

I don't want my oil changed in 10 minutes and I don't want my car tire just thrown on by some kid who is trying to impress his buddy. Haste makes waste... and comebacks for the shop.
You're likely to hate the entire flat rate system then.

Does anybody buy a non-discounted tire? Seems like every tire shop advertises on price.

One thing that bothers me about service facilities is that the people in the bay seem to think they're in some sort of a race. I don't know if the boss tells them that they can go home when they're finished but watching some youtube videos of how they operate at Discount Tire sort of scares me.

I don't want my oil changed in 10 minutes and I don't want my car tire just thrown on by some kid who is trying to impress his buddy. Haste makes waste... and comebacks for the shop.
I have personally used them twice, and I recommended my parents use them as well. So three trips total and no issues so far. Will keep an eye out before using next time, but so far so good.

The Arizonan Silver Edition is a pretty well rounded tire. I’ve had a few sets throughout the years and each new version improves upon the previous. I hope they treat you well.
Good to hear. They had good reviews on the DT site. This is our "beater" so I wasn't looking for a top tier tire. I called them to get a price quote and simply asked for something mid level. He responded with this option and told me it was an in house tire made by Cooper, that was good enough for me.

$540. Like I said, I called around to a few shops and prices were similar but with varying levels of tire quality.

My I ask why you are unhappy with Discount Tire?
That is very high for a set of budget tires.

DT will pricematch their competitors. You should have had them match the Costco price for these Defenders:

1644014569410.jpg

I can't stand the price of tires right now. Dealer caught a bubble in one of my AT3 4S last time it was in. All 4 tires have 8/32" so I just had them move to the back.

In my size you can't spend less than $600, even on junk, and it just makes me sick.
Check the Cooper website - they have a huge recall on the AT34s - I got all 4 tires replaced FREE and they were down to about ready for replacement. - Just check, you may be pleasantly surprised. It was a bulge in my tire too.

My lady friend had a set of four of their house brand, for her 2014 Fuzion installed. This was right before winter started. She paid $365 out the door. Her Fuzion has 140K on the clock. Maybe all she needs as the car gets only basic maintenance.

That is very high for a set of budget tires.

DT will pricematch their competitors. You should have had them match the Costco price for these Defenders:

View attachment 87594
They would match a discounted price? Regardless, what's done is done. I'm happy that we have a safe set of tires on the beater. Much better than what was on it previously. Good to know for next time though.

You're likely to hate the entire flat rate system then.

Does anybody buy a non-discounted tire? Seems like every tire shop advertises on price.
I guess I've been lucky. I've always been paid for what I know and not so much for how much I could do in an hour.

They balance using the Hunter Smartweight feature which minimizes the usage of weights. Bad news is that they don't balance the tires until the balancer says "OK," they are instructed to call it good when the balancer shows .25 remaining.

I can see this being a problem in some applications.
What an idiotic policy. They’re doing this to save weights? Labor? What if someone goes in to complain?

Since 2004 I've had my tires mounted and balanced on multiple vehicles at multiple DT stores and 'never' had to go back for a rebalance that was caused by incorrect/improper balance. I had one take back because I noticed a vibration after leaving the store. The cause, a warped/bent steelie that was shown to me on a balance machine when I went back. I replaced used from Honda boneyard, all good.

As for a DT "instruction" of only going to ".25" on the balance machine(s) as SOP, I admit I never paid that close of attention. As I've never had an issue, no need. Going forward, I'm now going to watch much more closely to see if that is really a 'policy; or just an anecdotal experience given on a forum. I know I have seen OK on the machine with balance before, just can't say for every tire.

As for topic tires, no experience with the Arizonian tire brand made for DT/AT. However, I do have experience with a made for DT Yoko tire. IME, I know they stand behind the treadwear warranty as long as tire rotations and balance done as recommended (5-6k mi) at DT. I had that with an early DT Yoko YK series, just can't remember which one. They gave me what I considered to be a very fair prorated credit towards a new set of tires.

Last edited:
My Touareg is especially intolerant.
Seems like the new RX my parents have is also intolerant as well. There’s a little bit of a shake they claim is from a bent wheel. But the OE tires were fine. Now that The Critic mentioned SmartWeight, I might take the care into a different shop for balancing.

Seems like the new RX my parents have is also intolerant as well. There’s a little bit of a shake they claim is from a bent wheel. But the OE tires were fine. Now that The Critic mentioned SmartWeight, I might take the care into a different shop for balancing.
It still boils down to having a tech that cares.

All these new machines really do is help compensate for human incompetence / indifference.

So you're more likely to get a better balance, but not guaranteed.

Back