Got my new weed wacker.

I felt that I needed a 2nd one in case my older one failed for some reason. Being in Ca I can no longer run to a store and buy a gas powered one and I don't feel that a battery powered one is sufficient to do what I need. Maybe I'm wrong but anyway.

I ordered anothe Echo SRM 225 straight shaft one just like my old one. It showed up today.

I had some tru-fuel 40:1 fuel so I used that. I feel that a little extra oil is better with a new engine even if it will effect the air to fuel mixture slightly.

Thing calls for 50:1. I will go to that after I burn through this tank of fuel.

I immediatley noticed that the new one runs much smoother than the old one. The old one has a Koritz engine. The new one has a name I can't remember right now. Looks the same anyway.

The plastic housing around the engine gets very hot. The old one does not. Maybe they deleted some insulation?

I had to adjust the idle as the new one would die if left running. Set it down and it would die in about 3 seconds.

Idles now.

The handle in the center is flexable where the old one is more rigid. This may account for a lot of the vibration I get from the old one.

While they both wear me out I was able to wack over an hour this morning and don't feel beat up.

The muffler on the new one is much louder than the old one.

So far I'm happy with it. Dunno why I had to adjust the idle speed though. Seems ok now.

If you don't want to use electric, Honda has a nice series of mini 4-stroke OHC engines (GX25/35/50)

There's the Honda Versattach system, but all the attachments are sold separately :sneaky:
Here is the trimmer attachment for that one.

Of course, Honda has a regular trimmer, the HHT series, but they're all sold out everywhere. Only the Versattach is in-stock.

There could be other trimmers that use the Honda engine :unsure:

I don't think you're supposed to mess with the carb til after break in. You might be adjusting it again soon.
I feel like my trimmer and my edger did change a bit as far as idle and power after a couple tank fills of fuel.

Echo is what most professional landscapers use around here, and yes the same stuff you buy at Home Depot. Echo has served me well over the years, and i also use TruFuel, which is key.

I'm with you @Chris142 I can't bring myself to get a battery trimmer. I have the expand-it series from Home Depot. I have a 4 stroke Ryobi for string trimming and a 2 stroke Ryobi for everything else (edging, bush trimmer, tiller, saw, bush wacker etc...)

Just my $0.02

@Chris142, take it for what it is worth, but Chickanic Bre on YouTube claims that some 2-stroke OPE are intolerant of Tru-Fuel, but run fine on most other canned fuel mixes like Echo, VP Racing, Husqvarna, etc. I'd mix up a batch of non-ethanol 89+ octane with Echo Red Armor or VP Racing full synthetic 2 stroke oil and see if it runs better if you return the SRM-225 to the factory idle setting.

@Chris142, take it for what it is worth, but Chickanic Bre on YouTube claims that some 2-stroke OPE are intolerant of Tru-Fuel, but run fine on most other canned fuel mixes like Echo, VP Racing, Husqvarna, etc. I'd mix up a batch of non-ethanol 89+ octane with Echo Red Armor or VP Racing full synthetic 2 stroke oil and see if it runs better if you return the SRM-225 to the factory idle setting.

Non ethanol doesn't exist by me and I'm guessing the same in CA

Non ethanol doesn't exist by me and I'm guessing the same in CA

Have you tried this shop? It is supposedly still in business.

1716850782514.jpg

1716851090507.jpg

I've never had an Echo, but that would be my other choice if I hadn't had such great luck with Stihl. I have an old Stihl FS85, that thing is a beast.
I dread the day that I have to replace it, I don't think anything today will ever match it in terms of reliability and longevity. Something new may come out of the gate strong, but I wonder if any of them made today will last 20+ years and still be strong like my FS85?

I'm sure it will serve you well. I've got a Echo brush cutter/trimmer and it has really impressed me. It stays at the cabin and only gets used occasionally, but when it is used it is generally full throttle for a half day or more with the only stops being to fill with fuel.. It also sits really well going months between uses with no issues.

I've never had an Echo, but that would be my other choice if I hadn't had such great luck with Stihl. I have an old Stihl FS85, that thing is a beast.
I dread the day that I have to replace it, I don't think anything today will ever match it in terms of reliability and longevity. Something new may come out of the gate strong, but I wonder if any of them made today will last 20+ years and still be strong like my FS85?
my 2nd choice would have been a Stihl. I wanted 2 of the same to make parts easier to keep around.

I cannot get non ethanol gas here or in Az or NV that I have seen. Have not tried the local airport again since I got shown the door. I buy the 4 stroke gas and mix up my own fuel.

I have seen the video posted above. I have never had a problem with canned fuel myself. Usually VP is slightly cheaper than tru fuel though.

Back