Got my First Full-Time Aircraft MX Job

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having graduated from aircraft mechanic school in September of last year and received my A&P certificate, I've finally landed my first full-time job in aircraft maintenance!

I'll be working for Embraer, a Brazilian-based OEM which builds small and medium-sized aircraft. I was hired to work at their Nashville, TN. facility, which is the largest of their 5 operations in the United States. In Nashville, they perform heavy checks and overhaul of their regional airliners (EMB 140, 145, 170, 175, 190, 195).

I already have a little familiarity with the Embraer Regional Jets, as I've been working for an OCMP (on-call maintenance provider) since Dec. of last year, and many of the regional carriers we're contracted with fly the ERJ. But, I'm looking forward to getting the opportunity to really learn these jets from the ground up.

The schedule is 4 days on, 3 days off. Eventually I hope to be able to use some of my time off to get some general aviation experience. I've always loved GA, and I hope to be able to earn my private pilot's certificate one day. In fact, one of my goals in earning my A&P was to be able to eventually fund flight training. I hope to be able to trade some wrenching for flight time!

I'm beyond excited. Can't wait to get in there and start really learning!

I start June 24.

Embraer probably has a bright future with regional carriers, since while the ERJ fleet is shrinking the baby 737 fleet is growing, and that is what the larger airplanes look like.
Then there's the bizjet end of things.
Congratulations and best of luck to you.

Good luck John.

I started in heavy maintenance 26 years ago. It's a great way to learn the aircraft and systems.

Good luck on your pilot's license too!

Nice going John. I don't know what the ga situation is in your area, but the right situation could be advantageous. I had something like that going for me back in 2000. Ground manager for 3 planes, banner towing and traffic watch. 9/11/01 put us out of business and ended my flying It was good while it lasted.

Wayne

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
Glad you found a good job. It's not easy for some people right now. You are very fortunate.

I never get tired of the view while flying......

Everett, eh? I'd love to live up there one day.

Do you work for Boeing?

Congrats! Ill be flying on a ERJ 4 times next week. I've never had any problems with those planes.

Originally Posted By: volk06
Congrats! Ill be flying on a ERJ 4 times next week. I've never had any problems with those planes.

Aside from the complete lack of leg room...and being unable to stand up in the aisle...I've never had any problem either...oh, except for being late on Continental Express ERJ-145s 18 out of 18 flights one year...but other than that...well, except for the ERJ-145 being CAT I only, and having to divert from Burlington to Syracuse one night for poor visibility...

Originally Posted By: Astro14

Aside from the complete lack of leg room...and being unable to stand up in the aisle...I've never had any problem either...oh, except for being late on Continental Express ERJ-145s 18 out of 18 flights one year...but other than that...well, except for the ERJ-145 being CAT I only, and having to divert from Burlington to Syracuse one night for poor visibility...

Being a smaller guy the height and legroom wasn't too bad. I fly with American on the ERJ for work.

I'm 6'2", so I feel ya.

I'll pass your concerns on.
smile.gif

It's a pretty nice small city. I did work for Boeing for about 14 months. Kind of a cool company. I worked on the 747 floors area. I hated the work. I was hired on the tail end of the hiring boom December 1997 and layed off Feb 1999. I never signed up for a recall because of my disdain for the work. Plus it was really hard on my body.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
Originally Posted By: oilboy123
Glad you found a good job. It's not easy for some people right now. You are very fortunate.

I never get tired of the view while flying......

Everett, eh? I'd love to live up there one day.

Do you work for Boeing?

crackmeup2.gif
01.gif
I was on one from MCO to BOS with a stop in ORF. NEVER again. I literally was the grump cat from the meme the whole time. Any how congrats OP! That's a great career field to get into. If anything happened health wise that would keep me from flying, MX is what I'd do. I love trying to get in and watch C and D checks. Amazing how aircraft are assembled.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
What is the approx pay for an A&P ?

Varies widely. It's predicated upon many different factors, hands-on experience being the largest single deciding factor.

Another one is location.

It varies from $10/hr to $50/hr and more.

Highest *starting* pay I've heard of was $28/hr. That was a private co. doing contract maintenance for the Army on helicopters at Ft. Rucker, AL.

I'm sure there are higher.

I've heard of guys with not much experience going overseas, working for private companies who serve the military or private companies in the military-industrial complex and making six figures.

Here in Memphis, a lot of guys aspire to work at FedEx (they're HQ'd here). Last I checked, sr. maintenance tech at FedEx tops out around $50/hr. But it can take years to attain that rank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back