Got my first bike

I bought a 2005 Suzuki s40 boulevard today. She has 18,000 miles on it runs great I rode it around a little tonight definitely have to practice. But it is a very enjoyable little bike. I may have overpaid a bit for the convenience of where it was and such but that's ok. I paid $2400.

Attachments

• IMG_20200813_190923.jpg
    IMG_20200813_190923.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 150
If you are happy with it, then that is what matters. Enjoy the bike and be safe.
That is an interesting color, in a good way.

That bike has been around for decades (used to be called a Savage) with minimal changes, so is a solid bike.
A good upgrade from your scooter and gets you used to a "real" bike, and is good prep for if you want to go bigger in the future.
Should be able to handle the highway OK (above 65 and it may get very buzzy).

Just go over everything well, replace all fluids, check the date codes on the tires and enjoy.

Last edited:
Looks like a nice starter bike. Belt driven rear wheel will save you some chain maintenance hassles.

Congratulations! You kept it well below your price threshold as well. Good patience.

I've always liked those new clay colored paints for a lack of a better term. See it on a lot of cars these days too.

That's a DR650 engined street bike. Stone reliable and more than capable of doing what you said all along that you wanted.

There is a Kiwi girl doing a 48 State ride on an older Savage. Not much content so far, just a lot of guys wanting her to visit...but she has other platforms. So it's a capable bike for sure.

Quite the adventure she's on with that bike ... and cool that so many are keeping tabs and will help her out all across the country.

The ADV community is strong world wide. We recently had a traveler have his bike stolen...he's been outfitted with another bike the same, and back to his adventure. And no, the S40 engine is not the same as a DR650.

i-XkXSbFZ-L.jpg

The ADV community is strong world wide. We recently had a traveler have his bike stolen...he's been outfitted with another bike the same, and back to his adventure. And no, the S40 engine is not the same as a DR650.

i-XkXSbFZ-L.jpg

Thanks for the correction on the engines, I stand corrected on that, didn’t do my due diligence on the history and specs. (y)

You've made an excellent choice for a first bike for anyone interested in a cruiser. The S40 is identical to a Savage except in name, and that design has been around for a long time.

Stay safe!

don't worry about over paying...you can buy a bike like that, ride it for a few years and sell it for close to what you paid. Be safe and have fun.

Great bike. I bought a 2019 dealer left over this year. I've owned many bikes over the years but just the weight of a cruiser was becoming an issue. The low CG and weight of this bike will extend my riding life a few more years is the plan. It's not very quick but neither am I LOL. It occasionally back fires when slowing to a stop before or just as the clutch is pulled in but that's just attitude. I've had more people approach me wanting to talk about it these past few months than any bike I've ever owned.

If you are happy with it, then that is what matters. Enjoy the bike and be safe.
That is an interesting color, in a good way.
Indeed, if you like then go for it. By the way, that color seems rare to me.

Last edited:
Welcome to riding! Happy you got your first motorcycle, looks great. Ride and enjoy life!
Above all, watch out for the cars. 😉

Welcome, enjoy your new adventure + check out MCRider for some great tips, other sites as well can help you to ride safely + enjoy the road!!

Back