Got me a safety razor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I started out on electric razors, but those went away upon joining the military as they left a constant 5 o'clock shadow that always got me yelled at. Then I started using the multiblade razors, and like was said earlier, the cartridges for these razors are ridiculously expensive, so I moved onto double edge razors. This opened up my shaving world to all of the wonderful products there are out there. Not only are double edge blades cheap, but the creams and shaving soaps that are available are amazing! No more of that canned garbage for me! Now I switch back and forth between my double edge razors and my Atra, both provide better shaves than the multiblade carts and are way less expensive!

to add to the manliness of this thread. I just bought "Clubman Bay Rum" aftershave.

I like it. I used old spice before my switch to electric, seems a tad strong on the alcohol/burning side.
Don't get me wrong, I like the scent of oldspice classic, I use it everyday deodorant and body wash, but the aftershave is a lot of burning.

The clubman bay rum has a nice classic bold smell, and isn't too bad on the burning side for me.

Still think the best smell is the lectric shave I used before the electric razor. Ah well.

ON an unrelated note, when my grandmother passed in 2006, and I was only 14-15, I found an old lighthouse in her house, felt like it was full of liquid. Okay, cool. Flipped it over and it said "Old Spice Cologne, Shulton INC" whom hasn't owned oldspice since 1990. So this bottle, that I still own, is 2 years older than me. then I noticed the top of the lighthouse popped off and it was full of cologne.
Pretty nifty.

according to http://www.oldspicecollectibles.com/Bottles/novelty bottles.html the bottle is era 1974-1981
thumbsup2.gif

lighthouse.jpg

Originally Posted By: GumbyJarvis
to add to the manliness of this thread.

I have to disagree. To add manliness either go natural or Hai Karate. If you can go a day with the scent of Hai Karate sticking to you are the man. Remember you will need self defense classes to keep the women off of you when using Hai Karate aftershave.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
to add to the manliness of this thread.

I have to disagree. To add manliness either go natural or Hai Karate. If you can go a day with the scent of Hai Karate sticking to you are the man. Remember you will need self defense classes to keep the women off of you when using Hai Karate aftershave.

LOL...my old spice stick says (paraphrasing) "if your grandad didn't wear it, you wouldn't be reading this".

ON an unrelated note, when my grandmother passed in 2006, and I was only 14-15, I found an old lighthouse in her house, felt like it was full of liquid. Okay, cool. Flipped it over and it said "Old Spice Cologne, Shulton INC" whom hasn't owned oldspice since 1990. So this bottle, that I still own, is 2 years older than me. then I noticed the top of the lighthouse popped off and it was full of cologne.
Pretty nifty.

according to http://www.oldspicecollectibles.com/Bottles/novelty bottles.html the bottle is era 1974-1981
thumbsup2.gif

lighthouse.jpg

Thanks for the link. I haven't thought of those old Old Spice decanters in years. I can remember giving my Grandfather aftershave for Christmas back in the '70s. One year I gave him "The Ship" because he was an old Coastie.

blue%20glass%20sailboat.jpg

For sensitive skin, I recommend the Gillette Fusion Proglide. I They are very $$$, but worth every cent.

I have yet to try the swivel universal joint thing, but I imagine they are both the same quality razor.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
LOL...my old spice stick says (paraphrasing) "if your grandad didn't wear it, you wouldn't be reading this".

I can not successfully argue against my Grandfathers generation. You win sir.

I use a DE razor with a decent blade (Feather or the like) and don't get the irritations I used to get. Boar brush with puck shaped shaving soap too. Proper shave.

I recently got an Edwin Jagger DE89. The chrome on it is beautiful and it shaves closer than any cartridge I've used before, even the 5 blade Gillettes and Schicks.

Whipping up the soap is fun too unless I'm pressed for time. Still working on getting a good lather, though.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
For sensitive skin, I recommend the Gillette Fusion Proglide. I They are very $$$, but worth every cent.

I have yet to try the swivel universal joint thing, but I imagine they are both the same quality razor.

It's been my experience that any razor with more than 2 blades is just a gimmick...I get much better shaves with DE razors, or a Trac II/Atra then I ever did using razors with 3 or more blades...then again, when it comes to shaving, everyone's experiences are different...what works well for me may not work so well for the next guy....

Originally Posted By: GatorJoe
I use a DE razor with a decent blade (Feather or the like) and don't get the irritations I used to get. Boar brush with puck shaped shaving soap too. Proper shave.

Feathers are a strange blade, probably the sharpest blades made, but they always seem to be at both ends of the spectrum...the guys that like them absolutely love them, and the guys that don't like them can't use them. I can't use them, every time I try they turn my face into hamburger...I prefer something a bit less aggressive like the Astra Platinum's...

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
Whipping up the soap is fun too unless I'm pressed for time. Still working on getting a good lather, though.

Conditioner is a fast alternative to shave soap.

Originally Posted By: strat81

I've never tried conditioner...how do you get it to lather?

Originally Posted By: grampi
Originally Posted By: strat81

I've never tried conditioner...how do you get it to lather?

No need to get it to lather. Pour some in your hand, then wipe it on your face. It will stick, but will be a bit drippy depending on brand of conditioner. Then just shave as usual.

I got the tip from a guy that shaves his head. He said one day he was in a rush and didn't want to deal with shaving cream. He already had the conditioner out and used that. Worked great and he uses it regularly.

I usually use conditioner if I'm away from home. It's less stuff for me to pack, and most hotels provide shampoo and conditioner.

Anything slick would probably work - KY, moisturizer, etc. Shave soap, shaving cream, and conditioner are relatively inexpensive though.

Congrats on your purchase of a safety razor!

I purchased an Edwin Jagger razor about a year ago and have been experimenting with different soap and blade combinations.

The feather blades work best for me as they allow me to shave if I don't shave for 3 days. Other blades did not work well under that scenario.

I like all Proraso products from pre shave to post shave. In addition, I've had good results with a soap from Italy called Cella. It has a nice almond scent and is available on Ebay or Amazon as are all Proraso products.

I use an Edwin Jagger with Derby blades. The best shave cream I have used so far is Creamo. It takes a little getting used to but helped tremendously with the irritation.

I wash, shampoo hair, brush my teeth and shave while showering. About the only thing I don't do is put my clothes on in the shower.

I use multi blade razors (for weeks on end) and gel.

No runs, no cuts, no errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back