Got me a safety razor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a safety razor tonight.
I am a Norelco Electric/Letric Shave guy. I break out bad when using normal "Mach 5030434 Schicking Gilette whatever" razors, and I always have used an electric after I first started shaving. Plus 30$ for 6-8 Blades isn't worth it in my book.
Don't get me started on "Magic Shave" to help with bumps, Look like freddy Krueger after that
Anywho, one of my buddies breaks out even worse than I do and said he switched over to a Safety Razor and Sensitive Barbasol.
Found one tonight just shaved with it. Thankful I didn't knick myself, but its actually extremely easy. I can see where people prefer the multi blade razors, the Safety razor took about 8-10 mins to shave (I am a daily shaver, military)
whereas, I remember and have seen people shave with a multi blade in 5 minutes. I only every have stubble (Again, Daily Shaver) in todays fast pace world, I see where the whole few minutes is everything.

I kind of like it. Plus I can justify 50 Gillette Blades for 4$ versus 8 blades for 30-40$ with a multi blade.

Itll probably get used at night, My normal shave routines are usually night before bed, then after PT around 830 in the morning for a touch up before workdays.
A normal Electric Blade lasts me 1 year, for 28$
Possibly if I shave at night with the safety razor and just use the electric at my daily 830 timespot, I can extend the life of the electric, plus have very nicely edged sideburns which the electric cant do.

Anyone else use a Safety Razor?

I use an Unsafety Razor.

I accidentally cut my head off with the Unsafety Razor the other day, and it took me half-an-hour to find it again (my head, not the razor).

Shaving s u cks. I use a cheap [censored] electric and rub it around until things look passable, then leave for work. So far so good. The stubble look is trendy right now anyhow.

I learned to shave with a double edge Gillette, back before the introduction of the Gillette Trac II. Started using them again about 7 yrs ago. Finding decent Double Edge blades can be a problem at local brick/mortar around here, don't know what your situation is there. Remember that prep is more than half the battle. You may soon get curious about leaving the canned shave cream behind & using a shaving brush & shaving soap. There rre shaving forums available; Badger & Blade, ShaveMyFace, The Shave Nook, Shave Den, others.

The modern multiblades will allow you to get a "good enough" shave with a minimum of time & skill involved. Th old fashioned double edge or single edge requires more skill, a bit more time, but can produce a superior shave. Check out some of the forums, see what interests you.

Just a '70s era twin blade. I did learn something recently. Forgive me, nobody ever taught me how to shave, I just lathered-up and went at it. Anyway, I happened to read a tip about wetting the stubble first before shaving, I also had skipped a couple of days shaving, which always makes a tough shave. So I decided to try splashing hot water on my face before shaving. What A Difference! The razor glided through the heavy stubbles and shaved much closer. It's now part of my routine.

It made me think of those old movies where the guys are in the barber shop and somebody has a hot damp towel over their face, getting ready for the shave. Those old barbers knew what they were doing.

I've tried using electric razors, but I've never had any luck using them. For some reason they never seem to cut my facial hair. I'm assuming it's because it's too soft/thin? I've always had to use those Gillette razors with the replaceable blades, as nothing else works.

I use the 1970s vintage Gilette Atra that I learned to shave with. The handle has held up perfectly all these years, despite daily use. The replacement cartridges are getting harder to find, and are insanely expensive at traditional retailers. I've been buying them in bulk on Amazon for cheap, hopefully that supply doesn't dry up.

Originally Posted By: R80RS
I use the 1970s vintage Gilette Atra that I learned to shave with. The handle has held up perfectly all these years, despite daily use. The replacement cartridges are getting harder to find, and are insanely expensive at traditional retailers. I've been buying them in bulk on Amazon for cheap, hopefully that supply doesn't dry up.

Aluminum handle? Looks like it's machined? That's the one I have. Still using it. Most recently I've been using cartridges from CVS that are labeled "CVS pharmacy, Fits Trac II and Atra Razors" They work OK.

Just wait until you try a feather blade. Find a good heavy handle that will outlast your grandchildren. Sharp blades. There are some really nice shaving creams. Try the Sandlewood from Taylor of Old Bond Street. Avocado. Rose by Truefitt & Hill.

I use the plastic razors with 4 or 5 blades. The more blades the less you get nicks. I shave at the end of my shower when my stubble is good an moist. Then I just scrub the soap bar around on it good and that is my shaving cream. Sometimes forget and have to get out the triple header electric razor, but face has to be 100% dried from shower or will not work.

Originally Posted By: Rick in PA
Originally Posted By: R80RS
I use the 1970s vintage Gilette Atra that I learned to shave with. The handle has held up perfectly all these years, despite daily use.

Aluminum handle? Looks like it's machined? That's the one I have. Still using it.

Yup, that's the one! I got it in 1976-77 and I've used it constantly ever since.

I've been using the latest state of the art Schick Hydro 5 power razor with three different vibration settings. That thing gets my face so smooth, I feel like I've never had whiskers.

Yep, another member of the badger-and-blade club here. About the only thing that works passably for my mug. Plus it's fun.

Getting 100 Feather blades for $28 shipped doesn't hurt matters, either.

I got all my Grandad's and uncle's razors as a teen...and my parents ditched them, as they weren't buying expensive blades (Just disposable junk.

Got a proper safety razor years ago, Merkur adjustable, and bought 2/5 of a thousand blades (Shark) for about $40...8 years of razor and blades for $120...plus I've got blades for inspection stickers, debadging etc.

Have shower, towel dry.
One pass with grain, one against...all good.

Need a "proper" shave, and hot(ish) lather in a mug (old enamel mug, my soap recipe is somewhere on BITOG).

Had an old English cut-throat that I inherited when I bought this house...Never trusted myself with it...gave it to Mori last month.

classic Oz poem, put to music.

I too have a Merkur, and use the Personna blades. The Feathers didn't work well for me (though a vampire or a mosquito would have found my face a feast).

When I'm in a rush in the morning I use a Norelco rotary shaver, but I think it needs new heads or blades or whatever they're called. It certainly doesn't shave me as well as the disposable razors, and those don't plane me off like the Merkur/Personna combo.

As for shaving cream, I have a can of good ol' Barbasol, but I rely on an inexpensive yet solid gel from Aveeno. You can find it, and Wilkinson double-edged blades, at Bed, Bath, and Beyond.

There's something quite satisfying and old-school about using the safety razor, isn't there? (Not to mention saving money!)

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
There's something quite satisfying and old-school about using the safety razor, isn't there? (Not to mention saving money!)

Yes, there is. Perhaps it's that element of danger. We're not talking straight razor danger, but I have cut myself quite noticeably with the safety razor. I have heard plenty about Feather (Japanese) blades around the razor web sites. I actually learned of the med prep blades on "Badger & Blade" a couple years ago.

I just use Clearasil, or generic, "oil free face wash" as a shaving lubricant. It's cheap, convenient, and works very well as a shave cream.

Originally Posted By: dave munson
Just wait until you try a feather blade. Find a good heavy handle that will outlast your grandchildren. Sharp blades. There are some really nice shaving creams. Try the Sandlewood from Taylor of Old Bond Street. Avocado. Rose by Truefitt & Hill.

My face could not handle Feather blades. I looked like I had a bad sunburn after using them, and that's with no pressure aside from the weight of the handle.

Gumby, check out http://kellsoriginal.com/. Great shave soap for people with sensitive skin. I used to use Edge Sensitive Gel and my skin is much better since switching to Kell's.

Get yourself a blade sampler from somewhere and try them out. Different blades give different results.

Gumby,
Send me a PM with your mailing address and I'll send you a couple of Dorco blades if you want.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back