Got another Foxbody Mustang. PO has been using VR1 20w50

very cool.
Thnx, yet again~
(thought as the new engines came out, closer toloreances, syn oil - ZDDP dropped out
- as a real cat destroyer).

very cool.
Thnx, yet again~
(thought as the new engines came out, closer toloreances, syn oil - ZDDP dropped out
- as a real cat destroyer).
The catalyst destroyer angle is a bit overplayed, the Euro cars that had higher levels didn't experience any appreciably higher rate of catalyst failure from what I can tell.

(sorry, I have been told I write in short hand. No wonder you ask...)
no, it seems a lill too thick for my vehicle. If I was in the rocks, @ real gradients, reved up, may B. I run at 12 - 25K RPMs mostly.

Hmm interesting. I’m not sure what the technical reasoning would be there but okay.
In the Ford Windsor engines a 20w-50, when it gets cold, presents a good opportunity for you to break the oil pump hex drive, it's also hard on the distributor gear (that drives the oil pump) even if it doesn't damage the drive.

In the Ford Windsor engines a 20w-50, when it gets cold, presents a good opportunity for you to break the oil pump hex drive, it's also hard on the distributor gear (that drives the oil pump) even if it doesn't damage the drive.
Right okay. Well that's why I asked about the winter rating but the poster seemed to be concerned about high RPM (12-25K). I assumed that was when the oil was warm but maybe not :)

Right okay. Well that's why I asked about the winter rating but the poster seemed to be concerned about high RPM (12-25K). I assumed that was when the oil was warm but maybe not :)
IIRC, guys with the HV/HP oil pumps were breaking them even when within the safe range for that 20W-xx Winter rating, and thus it wasn't overly relevant, lol.

But yeah, with a stock pump, much lower risk.

The engine never called for an xW-50, was always an xW-30 or xW-40 (Marine) from what I recall. It was never an engine that suffered from lubrication issues, so wasting pumping power on forcing molasses through it isn't doing it any favours; there's no appreciable benefit.

Also, I think he means 1,200 - 2,500RPM, there's no way you are spinning an SBF to 12,000RPM let alone 25,000, lol.

Back