Got another Foxbody Mustang. PO has been using VR1 20w50

That would have been a fun car with 325whp , IRS rear end and suspension work. I have a lot of Maximum Motorsports parts and suspension work on my cobra.

You'll only go as far as your heads will take you. 290whp on ported gt40 h/c/i sounds right. The 11R heads come in a 53cc combustion chamber flavor to really bump up the compression on n/a builds. They feature completely revised valve angles more in line with LS heads. 380rwhp isn't out of the question even with only 302ci these days if you can match all of the components perfectly. However, with newer generation On3 Turbo kits starting @ $1800, its hard to drop big coin on NA builds assuming your starting with a 5.0. Boost is hard to beat.
Yeah, I have the flow numbers around here somewhere, but they were about as "good as it gets" for GT40's. Port size was a perfect match for the TFS-R:
1645055501806.png

Yes, I was the lone N/A guy in our group, LOL! Everyone was using a blower, save for my buddy who was big into nitrous. Everyone was mindful of the stock block limitations, so I think the highest anyone in our group got was 534RWHP. That was a set of AFR's with a Crane cam (2034 I think?) Performer RPM and an S-Trim.

Yeah, I have the flow numbers around here somewhere, but they were about as "good as it gets" for GT40's. Port size was a perfect match for the TFS-R:
View attachment 89153

Yes, I was the lone N/A guy in our group, LOL! Everyone was using a blower, save for my buddy who was big into nitrous. Everyone was mindful of the stock block limitations, so I think the highest anyone in our group got was 534RWHP. That was a set of AFR's with a Crane cam (2034 I think?) Performer RPM and an S-Trim.
Looks good. I have respect for n/a builds especially iron heads. I've seen some ported g40 head builds exceed 310rwhp which is awesome to me. Those are few, far ,and between. I'm going the on3 turbo route my self, eventually. With boost you definitely need a great tune on these blocks with the 500hp+ no man's land.

Looks good. I have respect for n/a builds especially iron heads. I've seen some ported g40 head builds exceed 310rwhp which is awesome to me. Those are few, far ,and between. I'm going the on3 turbo route my self, eventually. With boost you definitely need a great tune on these blocks with the 500hp+ no man's land.
Yes, and keep the RPM down, lol. At least with the turbo, you aren't giving up engine HP like you are to spin the blower with a supercharger. You also aren't putting a big load on the snout of the crank, which also helps. My understanding is that the limit is a fair bit higher for a turbo Windsor than for a supercharged one, but of course there are always exceptions and you don't want to be that guy with the big split down the valley, LOL! ;)

What are you going to use to tune it with? The SCT chips were the "best" when I was getting out of the scene, not sure if anything better has come along since then.

Yes, and keep the RPM down, lol. At least with the turbo, you aren't giving up engine HP like you are to spin the blower with a supercharger. You also aren't putting a big load on the snout of the crank, which also helps. My understanding is that the limit is a fair bit higher for a turbo Windsor than for a supercharged one, but of course there are always exceptions and you don't want to be that guy with the big split down the valley, LOL! ;)

What are you going to use to tune it with? The SCT chips were the "best" when I was getting out of the scene, not sure if anything better has come along since then.
SCT and local dyno would be the way. For self tuning you still have moates QH of course, but Megasquirt and Holly termi X come to mind.

"Stock block stock cam" is the general turbo rule from my experience. And keep rpms down like you said.

Currently i must admit I'm jealous of OP's motor! I need that kind of power soon.

I wish there were California legal turbo kits. Back in the days I think there was one manufacturer DDMI iirc… Nowadays it just superchargers that I see with CARB #s
Incon too if you can find one. A friend had one about a decade ago but I'm sure he sold it before moving to North Carolina.

I see your cheesegrater delete and I assume the rear valance is also due to the wall?
I swapped the taillights not long after I bought it. I always wanted physical tailpipes, so got the Cobra bumper. I had dumps for awhile because of the torque arm & they weren't terrible with Magnaflows, but they really pronounced the cam at idle. Also a smog tech mentioned that it's tough to do the test with the dumps & car so low. I had some non-CARB complaint parts, but it'd blow clean. This shop would "ask fewer questions" so tailpipes were the least I could do. Another shop wouldn't smog it because the Romac aluminum balancer & aluminum flywheel made it rev up really fast with barely any throttle. Pretty sure I heard em spin the wheels on the dyno 😂😂

I swapped the taillights not long after I bought it. I always wanted physical tailpipes, so got the Cobra bumper. I had dumps for awhile because of the torque arm & they weren't terrible with Magnaflows, but they really pronounced the cam at idle. Also a smog tech mentioned that it's tough to do the test with the dumps & car so low. I had some non-CARB complaint parts, but it'd blow clean. This shop would "ask fewer questions" so tailpipes were the least I could do. Another shop wouldn't smog it because the Romac aluminum balancer & aluminum flywheel made it rev up really fast with barely any throttle. Pretty sure I heard em spin the wheels on the dyno 😂😂
Mine had the holes cut in the GT bumper when I bought it. I always preferred the cheese graters but know a few guys that liked the LX lights better and did the swap. I got a chuckle about your CARB comment. Mine passed smog with no cats and no smog pump, only had EGR. It barely passed, but it passed! :D

Before it got ugly. Bilsteins, H&R springs, MM torque arm, panhard bar, caster/camber plates, aluminum headed stroker with Ed Curtis cam, 3.55s & that poor T5 waiting to grenade 😃. More mods came later

And an 'after' ugly pic. Nicknamed "the pile" by friends & it's still called that by the current owner

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1645370743895.jpg
    FB_IMG_1645370743895.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 18
  • FB_IMG_1645370842414.jpg
    FB_IMG_1645370842414.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 18
Before it got ugly. Bilsteins, H&R springs, MM torque arm, panhard bar, caster/camber plates, aluminum headed stroker with Ed Curtis cam, 3.55s & that poor T5 waiting to grenade 😃. More mods came later

And an 'after' ugly pic. Nicknamed "the pile" by friends & it's still called that by the current owner
Love the termi wheels! I was using Ed's arch nemesis (who eventually went out of business) Jay Allen. I wanted to eventually replace the T-5 with a T-56 but of course that never came to fruition. Can't remember who I sold the IRS to, but it was a surprisingly easy swap, as the SN95 (and new edge facelift) was so similar under the skin to the Fox.

Last edited:
A few friends did the IRS swap, one on an SVO. A friend worked at JBA Headers Speed Shop for years. A guy that was basically the CFO took me for a ride in his 95 Cobra with Griggs GR40 World Challenge setup & a bored/stroked 351 out to 427. He also had an Ed Curtis cam & that's what sold me. His car just made torque everywhere & was extremely docile for regular driving. Stuck like glue in the corners too. Spent a lot of my days off just hanging out at the shop. Didn't help that my fav taco shop was right across the street 😂. I really miss messing around with that car. Never left me stranded...even when I blew up the T5, drove it home making all kinds of noise.

I do wish I participated in more auto-x events & more time with instructors at the track. The car could really move, I just didn't have the seat time to really utilize the power & grip
Could talk about it all day 😂

A few friends did the IRS swap, one on an SVO. A friend worked at JBA Headers Speed Shop for years. A guy that was basically the CFO took me for a ride in his 95 Cobra with Griggs GR40 World Challenge setup & a bored/stroked 351 out to 427. He also had an Ed Curtis cam & that's what sold me. His car just made torque everywhere & was extremely docile for regular driving. Stuck like glue in the corners too. Spent a lot of my days off just hanging out at the shop. Didn't help that my fav taco shop was right across the street 😂. I really miss messing around with that car. Never left me stranded...even when I blew up the T5, drove it home making all kinds of noise.

I do wish I participated in more auto-x events & more time with instructors at the track. The car could really move, I just didn't have the seat time to really utilize the power & grip
Could talk about it all day 😂
I have a similar T-5 story! I blew mine up at the drag strip! I was making my maiden pass after doing H/C/I on it and wasn't doing any real lifting between shifts, as I wanted to break into the 12's. Car still had the stock 3.08's out back. Well, she made a bit of a noise coming out of first after launch, but I didn't think much of it (was running MT ET streets) and wound it out through 1st and 2nd, railed 3rd, went to shift and it was like NOPE!. Wouldn't come out of 3rd. So, I just dropped the clutch and held it to the floor and went out the end at 6,250RPM on the limited at 106Mph. Only cut a 13.2 though, due to those shenanigans. I stopped on the return lane, and it would come out of 3rd. As soon as I got moving, it wouldn't come out of 3rd. Tried 4th, same thing. Drove it home with 1st, 2nd and 5th, which was super exciting, as you'd wind it way out in 2nd and then she'd bog into 5th. The fluid looked like metal flake paint, had shifted the internals back about 3/4 of an inch.

What caused it? Well, I had done the Aerostar aluminum driveshaft swap. Not a problem, it fit perfectly, but, instead of using the offset u-joint, I had found a yoke that fit perfectly, and had the same splines. Well, turns out that yoke (can't remember what it was from) wasn't hardened like the stock 5.0L yoke and it twisted like a licorice stick, binding to the tailshaft and with the motion of the suspension, when the car came down when I hit the clutch to pull it out of 1st, dragged the internals of the trans back.

Bought the right u-joint after that and ran a stock yoke on a 4-banger trans, which I blew the tailstock off of when powershifting and the stock yoke split. I THINK I screwed up and ran a 4-banger yoke though (not my stock 5.0L yoke) which is why it split. I thought I was using my yoke (we had a few piles of parts at my buddy's place) but I found that later, still attached to my stock D/S later on. Mistakes were made with parts cars, many of which were 4-bangers.

Ran my stock yoke after that and no problems. Had my original T-5 rebuilt, sold it when I parted out the car, hadn't even had a chance to use it yet. Had bought the Steeda tri-ax shifter for it (had been running the Mac shifter previously, the Steeda was much nicer).

My lil noise maker coupled with AFR185s. I only wish I had chosen to keep it N/A from the start. I never added a blower & had 8.5:1 compression. Oh would've been even funnerER with 10+ comp. Maybe next time

Attachments

• camcard.jpg
    camcard.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 15
Back