Goofy/ funny parenting mistakes

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Thought to start a thread where people can post goofy/ funny parenting mistakes. This thread is not about hard mistakes (which I made many as a parent), but something to smile/ laugh about.

Here is one. My youngest Son, now 28 years old, was unable (not creative) to find a summer job during high school.

I had the solution, I found him a job at a local horse boarding farm cleaning the stalls of horse manure, etc. He was told had to work there, for free- until he found a job that paid. What I didn't know is what goes on a horse boarding farm during the summer.

Teenage girls with horses went to this farm every day and hung out with their horses. He was the only teenage boy around a posse of teenage girls every day at this horse farm. Needless to say- my plan backfired. His motivation to get summer employment went from low to zero...... He loved being at that horse farm....

Back in the days my parents though I goof off and went out unsupervised when I was at home with the phone not hung up correctly. It was busy the whole day when they called and busy. They went home found me there, and gave me a good beating. Still don't believe I am innocent now that I'm in my 40s.

Thought to start a thread where people can post goofy/ funny parenting mistakes. This thread is not about hard mistakes (which I made many as a parent), but something to smile/ laugh about.

Here is one. My youngest Son, now 28 years old, was unable (not creative) to find a summer job during high school.

I had the solution, I found him a job at a local horse boarding farm cleaning the stalls of horse manure, etc. He was told had to work there, for free- until he found a job that paid. What I didn't know is what goes on a horse boarding farm during the summer.

Teenage girls with horses went to this farm every day and hung out with their horses. He was the only teenage boy around a posse of teenage girls every day at this horse farm. Needless to say- my plan backfired. His motivation to get summer employment went from low to zero...... He loved being at that horse farm....
Sounds like my kind of farm. I remember similar situations.

Horse girls and car guys tend to create serial killer children so it never really would have worked out for me.

When I was married and my son was 4.5 months old, we went shopping at Publix.
My wife was working that evening, so I put my son in one of those Zoot Suit type pajamas. As I was checking out at the register, he suddenly started leaking yellow stuff (feces). I picked him up out of his baby carrier in the child seat of the shopping cart. Yellow stuff was shooting out of every opening of his ZS. People behind me were barfing and the cashier (Thank God for her) ran to the office and came back with some huge beach towels. I wrapped him up in one and watched the bag boys clean up the mess. All I could do was apologize and asked the price of the towel. She let me keep it. When I got home he got a kitchen sink bath.

Years ago I was sitting at my desk reading BITOG and my then 2 or 3 year old daughterbrought a half gallon unopened bottle of coke, then ran off and came back with a cup. The bottle wasn't much smaller than she was so I was impressed with her and decided she could have some. I still see her standing there with the cup at head height, held by 2 hands...

I should have realised she probably dropped the bottle a few times, but didn't. She got a coke shower. For months after, she would get a horrific look on her face and step back 5 feet if I opened ANY bottle.

Funny not funny but my youngest, who was maybe 1 year old at the time fell down the basement stairs. The baby gate was not latched. So she takes a wicked tumble and my wife and I go running. We look down the stairs and our oldest who was closer to 3 was playing down there, she runs over and looks up and sees mom. She yells "Mom pushed Brandy down the stairs!!!"

So fast forward a few months, we dropped both off at the sitter and later learned that she told them she would behave or mom would push her down the stairs too. We all had an awkward laugh....

Reactions: GON
When I was married and my son was 4.5 months old, we went shopping at Publix.
My wife was working that evening, so I put my son in one of those Zoot Suit type pajamas. As I was checking out at the register, he suddenly started leaking yellow stuff (feces). I picked him up out of his baby carrier in the child seat of the shopping cart. Yellow stuff was shooting out of every opening of his ZS. People behind me were barfing and the cashier (Thank God for her) ran to the office and came back with some huge beach towels. I wrapped him up in one and watched the bag boys clean up the mess. All I could do was apologize and asked the price of the towel. She let me keep it. When I got home he got a kitchen sink bath.
And you never mentioned it to him since, right? At lest not in front of strangers.

When I was a baby my dad put my in my car seat and set it on the trunk of the car. I then slid off face first into the driveway, but luckily I was un-injured. I think the handle on the car seat saved me.

Explains a lot... :ROFLMAO: 🤷‍♂️

I don't have kids so I'll have to share a story one of my managers told us many years ago...she'd gone shopping and took her son with her. Son somehow got separated from her and despite store staff looking for the kid and calling over the intercom, they couldn't find him. The police drove her home and as they pull up to the house, there he is, sitting on the porch, waiting for her. Apparently, after they got separated, someone offered him a ride home. He very proudly told her that it was ok because he asked the person if he was a stranger and the person said that he wasn't, so he accepted the ride. Fortunately, it was all above-board and nothing happened to him.

She went on to say that she realized that she drilled into her son's head to never take a ride from a stranger, but she never thought to make sure that he understood what a stranger was.

Guy I knew got tired of his teenage daughter's complaining on a long drive, so he pulled over and told her she could get out and walk home if she was that unhappy.

She grabbed her purse, opened the door, and by the time he realized that she was actually taking him up on it, she had crossed a 3-lane highway and was halfway across the median. By the time he managed to get across, she had gotten to the shoulder on the other side and was starting to hitch-hike.

Back