Goodyear Eagle RS-A

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Rand
the tires are horrid.. they were done in 20k miles on my 2300lb focus.

x2

I had these on my 08 xb and I only used them for 18,000 miles. Terrible tires, would never recommend these to anyone.

Originally Posted By: mstrjon32
The RS-A is a 15 year old model, I know that you could order a brand new Lumina LS with a set of them as the "uplevel" tire back in 1994. It's unbelievable that GY still makes and sells this ancient design for so much money, when you can buy much better tires (even from them) for much less.

I'd avoid them, but if someone gave me a set for free, I'd put them on my car.

And the kicker for me is how Honda uses Integritys on the old Pilot, even on a Prius those tires are scary. I had the VSC kick in on ours on a DRY road.

RSA aren't that bad compare to other OEM tires, I driven on something way worse, like the Goodyear Invicta (even worse than Integrity), Bridgestone Potenza RE-92, Michellin Energy MXV4, and the Yokohama Y376.

Their characteristic is also all over the place between sizes and years. The only thing remains between the older RSA and the newer one is the name. Some, like the police contract size, have good handling while the Corolla size have horrible grip but good fuel economy and durability.

This might be a good time for me to explain about OE tires - that is, tires that are put on at the vehicle assembly plant. This also includes tires that are diverted into the replacement market - common called "downstream".

I've gone into detail here:

http://www.geocities.com/barrystiretech/oetires.html

What you should get out of this is:

1) That OE tires are different than tires designed for the replacement market - in particular OE tires tend to be better for rolling resistance - and that comes by sacrificing treadwear and / or traction, especially wet traction.

2) That a given line of tires may be supplied to different vehicles and different vehicle manufacturers - and each of those tires is likely unique. Making blanket statements about a line of tires based on a small sample is frought with problems and contradictions.

3) It is the vehicle manufacturer that decides what a given tire is supposed to do. If you have a complaint about the performance of a tire, complaining to the tire manufacturer has little impact. The source of the problem is the vehicle manufacturer - who is well insulated from complaints of this type.

4) That over time, tire lines tend to evolve, and while the name remains the same, the tire could be quite different than what appears to be an otherwise identical tire. This is more true of OE tires than it is of replacement market tires.

5)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back