Good Tire Pressure Gauge

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need a new tire pressure. Nothing too fancy or expensive. What brand do you folks prefer? I was thinking about going with Snap-On.

What pressure range do you need to check? Just automotive tires or higher pressures like small camper or big truck tires? Are the valve stems easy to access? How much do you want to spend on it? Is it for the car or the shop?

I have heard a lot of good things about the Moroso 89560 gauge (0-60 PSI mechanical) and the 89590 protective gauge cover to save it from drops, etc. Amazon.com has them for about $42 together.

Pencil type: Milton S921, 5-50psi range. Seals good on the tire stem and repeatable readings. You can find this at OSH for ~$5.

Dial type: Accu-Gage. I believe Sears has the 60psi range one. You can also order from Getagage.com, they have various Accu-Gage dial gauges and you can customize (i.e. straight/angle chuck, rubber protector, and what psi range you want). Another neat thing about the Accu-Gage is that it has a bleeder so you can release air from the tire when your gauge is on the tire valve.

I don't really like digital ones that much since it turns off by itself in like 30 seconds if you don't touch. Then you have to turn it back on, wait then check the next tire. A minor inconvenience I suppose, thats just my opinion.

I doubt snap on actually manufactures tire gauges. Find out who makes them for snap on and then by one of those cheap off of ebay.

Digital by Acu xxx is around $10-12 at sears. very dependable and reads to 1/2 lb. The one I have is 8 years old and still works great and just got another to keep in the vehicle.

Originally Posted By: Ursae_Majoris
I really like mine: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00080QHMM/ref=oss_product

Cheap, accurate, easy to use at night with glowing display. Good for car and motorcycle tires from 5 to 150 PSI.

PS Eddie: It IS Accutire MS-4021B.

Mine was bought at Costco a couple of years ago for $15.00. Mine says Accutire and not Michelin. Reads to 0.1 psi and is solidly built

I also have an older Accutire gauge that is made out of cheezy black plastic that is about 15 years old and still going strong on the original battery.

Last edited:
I use a Reb-Co ap guage.You can find them at just about any online car store that sells racing parts.

\rv85

I have both of the following:

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/detail.jsp?ID=11

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/detail.jsp?ID=58

I use the first for quick checks in the garage.

The Psiclops is for checking going into a new season or after rotating tires. It is by far the best gauge "I" have owned. I am so proud and protective that it gets stored in the house.

Note: I see that their Psiclops "Extreme" is on sale for the same price as the base unit. It allows you to set two tires simultaneously.

Last edited:
I have some pencil guages that I bought years ago, made in USA and have somewhat of a heavy substantial feel compared to the .50 cent cheapos. No idea where I bought them. Accurate to 1 psi or so compared to a calibration guage. Sure you can spend $$ on a nice electronic version, but I find that to be overkill. Plus it's just more junk taking up room in your glovebox.

I'm a fan of the round mechanical style ones. There is no reason my tiregauge should require batteries.

I do like to keep a quality pen type in my glovebox though.

I think the round one i have is Cambell Hausfeld, picked it up at walmart.

Originally Posted By: AcuraTech
I have some pencil guages that I bought years ago, made in USA and have somewhat of a heavy substantial feel compared to the .50 cent cheapos.

thumbsup2.gif
I concur. Over the years I lost a few, and bought one at napa and make sure I put it back in the center. My wife i bought a digital no name one, but that is starting to give out, so I'll show her how to read the pencil one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back