Good Sport Touring bikes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Take a look at the Triumph Sprint ST 1050cc Triple, with six speed tranny, windscreen, and luggage standard. The ST color choices are blue, red, and graphite.

T595.net, for a Triumph user forum.

I bought the Sprint this year and am not looking back. It is cheaper in price, than the BMW, Buell, KTM, Ducati, Perelli, and Kawasaki equivalents.

The Sprint handles well and is quick for a "sport touring" bike. I get real close to 50 MPG, for fuel usage. It also has a (5) gallon fuel tank. It is "good" at many things, not necessarily "great".

You can also buy this model, with an ABS brake system, as an $800.00 option.

If you have been on a "Sport" bike, it could be tough to transition to a sport/touring platform. The Sprint is "good", in this department.

Have fun looking, I did. Good luck!

Last edited:
i actually do like the looks of the Triumph, only concerned about the low windscreen, starting to look at the site you sent and gonna see what options are available for it.

How is it for 300+ mile jaunts on it or have you not gone that far on it yet? How is the heat issues with it? Supossedly the heat issues with the FJR, Concours, ST1300 have been *solved*. Granted they are all full fairing bikes so some heat is expected.

But overall really liking it. I thik the FJR is still on top but the Triumph may have bumped the Kawasaki down to third.

On t595.net, riders take the Sprint St, in Britain, Australia, New Zealand, South America, North America, and Europe on long (2000 to 3000 miles)road trips. Some actually go two up, without problems, even take pictures and post them on t595.net.

You can buy a gel seat for about $250.00 and a larger wind screen for about $150.00. I bought one, but haven't installed it yet.

The stock wind screen, deflects the wind above the average (height) rider's head well. I am 5'9" in height. I can kick it, without a lot wind resistance and noise. Top rated speed is 160 m.p.h.

You can also use the search engine for recent reviews. The Sprint rivaled the bmw and kawasaki equilavents well (first place), in a 30,000 mile road course/torture test in Germany, this last year.

A lot of riders do 500 to 600 mile days, without discomfort. There are a lot of older riders on Sport/Tourers in Europe, than the U.S.

I am almost 53 years of age, and I am very comfortable on long rides.

Triumph.com also has the usual company information, along with accessories.

The exhaust comes out of the tail, and is piped on the right under side. All areas are heavily insulated and well ventilated. If you wear shorts, you will get warm. I wear the proper kit, so I do not experience heat problems.

Most Triumph dealers allow test rides. That is the only true way, to pick a bike for me.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Last edited:
The ST1300/FJR are both heavy bikes, handle well, and shine best doing "big miles" and mulit-day tours. I can easily ride 6-750 miles a day on my ST1300, but prefer more twisty scenondary roads.

If you want a middle ground, maybe check out a lightly used first generation FZ1. With the money you save over a ST1300/FJR, spend a few bucks on a Penske rear shock, and rework the forks. The bike handles great with these mods, and has comfortable UJM ergos. Throw some soft bags on it, and instant sport-tourer.

I prefer to ride my FZ1 on shorter trips, more nimble, lighter weight etc. But on longer trips or in colder/rainy weather, the full fairing and adustable windsheild on the ST1300 is much appreciated.

Also rumors are flying that Honda may release a all-new VFR-1000 this fall for 2009 in both a sport and more tour-oriented version. If true, this might be a sweet bike.

Drew

Not exactly sure as of yet how many and how long of road trips I would take but I would assume it would be more (hoping) if I got an FJR type bike. I guess I dont do it now as my bike is not geared for it.

Gonna go look this afternoon and start pricing, looking at available features etc...

thanks for all the input, greatly appreciated

I've been riding an '07 FJR for a year now and really like it. Here's a rundown on the FJR issues I know about;

1. Don't buy a "generation I" bike. They had some valve problems where some of them became "tickers". Yamaha fixed them under an extended warranty, but not sure they would now if a second owner came knocking. Gen II bikes started in '06 and fixed the problem.

2. There was an ECU recall on the '06 and '07 bikes for a sensor problem where the computer didn't adjust for altitude changes so the bike ran like C&ap when you rode in the mountains. You used to have to stop and restart the bike to get it to adjust for altitude since that's the only time the bike sensed the altitude. The ECU replacement was a quick fix and all the bikes get it for free.

3. Some '07 owners (me included) experienced some clutch drag where it didn't disengage immediately when you pulled the lever. It was a problem where Yamaha assembled the clutch dry and it's a wet clutch and wasn't getting enough oil. The fix in extreme cases was to pull the clutch pack and soak it in synthetic oil. At 6700 miles, mine has almost fixed itself so it gets better with time.

4. There appears to be a developing problem mostly with '06's (although a few '07's have reported the problem) of a cold sodder joint in the ignition switch. No recall yet, but if the wire separates, the bike just dies (never a good thing)

That's about all the bad I know about. On the good side, my bike runs like a champ and is very fun to ride. 145 horse power and low 40's for gas mileage. I've heard some guys really go though tires quickly on their FJR's, but my tires are still OK at 6700... I'm guessing I'll get about 10k.

They make an auto clutch model but I donno much about that. Most who ride those seem to like the autoshift model.

Hi Scout, thanks for the input.

I have read about some of the issues and would like to go with at least a 2007. Just still looking and pricing. Definitely gonna be an FJR. I like the Triumph but from day 1 I have liked the FJR. I have been reading a lot on the FJR forum and have seen the tire issue.

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.

I had a 2004 triumph sprint st. This had a 955i engine. It was an excellent sport tourer. More on the "sport" side of sport-touring. The FJR's, ST 1300's and K1200ST's are more on the "touring" side of sport-touring.

I have moved to a K1200S, which again is on the sport side of sport-touring, and am pleased with it. You might consider that one as well.

The first decision you will have to make will be to decide what end of the sport-touring spectrum you want to be on, that will drive your decision. You won't go wrong with a Sprint, an FJR or an ST1300. Each have won their fair share of comparo's.

appreciate the tip on BMW. I do like the looks of the K1200GT and the price is not as bad as I thought

Depends on what you want to use it for. The japanese sport / tourers are big and heavy, more touring than sport. Since you ride a ZX9r now you may want a sport tourer that has the emphasis on sport.
Have you looked at the Triumph sprint or the Ducati ST3? They are comfortable but light and small enough to have fun on a twisty road.
If you want a japanese the FJR would be the best choice IMHO. Lightest, almost as powerful as the connie 14, and oil changes are super easy, no fairings need to come off, the drain plug and oil filter can be removed without removing the fairings it's a 10 minute job.
I ride a 2002 Aprilia Futura, it is in the same class as the Triumph and the Ducati. Much lighter and better handling than any of the japanese S/T.

22004_09130008 (2).JPG

1Futura 003 (2).jpg

Last edited:
I was looking at full faired sport bikes recently that would be suitable for commuitng and some touring. I wanted light as the main complaint with a Suzuki GS1100ESD that I put a lot of miles on was that it was too heavy. The current batch of 600s have about the same performance as the older 1100, so 600cc it was. After reading, looking, and sitting I ended up pretty much settling on a Kawasaki ZZR600, and older low price sport bike that has surprisingly good ergonomics. There is just a few inches differnces in bar/peg/etc distances compared to say an R6S Yamaha, but it counted for a lot. A number of reviews said that it was comforable on loing trips too. I was waiting to see if it is still being offered in 2009, as it seems to be getting long in tooth.

I also like the Triumph Tiger, 1050 triple. There is rumor, of a 675cc Tiger Cub. Mostly wishful thinking.

I own a Triumph Sprint St 1050cc Triple (125 HP), which is a bored out 955cc. Very strong and reliable engine, but still old technology.

The 600 cc range, would be a nice size engine, since the smaller Triumph sport motors are of new technology and design (close to the 125 HP range). The performance is very strong and reliability is close to larger bikes, of old technology.

The rider would have plenty of power, but still a lighter platform.

Last edited:
My thought is that if you are going to sell your zx9, then I would pick a sport tourer leaning more towards the sport side. This is my set-up for one-bike-does-all.

The sprint ST, BMW k1200s are among a few of these. Also, there has been a rumor of a honda VFR1000 coming out soon. This would be darn-near ideal. I have done 500 miles on my previous sprint and my K1200S. Aftermarket windshields are job 1. Aftermarket seats help a great deal as well for long distance duty. Properly equiped, you could ride any of these bikes all day long.

On the other hand, if you are keeping your sport bike, and will have that in your stable, I would go towards the BMW K1200LT, the St 1300 or the FJR 1300. My own pick of these bikes would be the FJR 1300, which is a tried and true Iron-butt champions' choice for many years now.

Not everyone has room for multiple bikes, but my thought is if you will have only 1 bike, you will miss the sportiness/flickability of a true sport bike if you move too far towards "touring" on the sport-touring spectrum.

Hi,
Im torn between selling the 9 and keeping it now
It was paid for the day I got it, runs great, I love the bike,have not had a problem with it the 4 years I have had it except for the stator going out. ....just not sure if I have the room for two.

Definitely gonna be the FJR no question about it!!!

Go test ride the FJR, maybe it will be all you ever expected from your zx9r and then some. If so, the decision is made...trade it in!

I don't know how RI (or your insurance company) handles it, but here in OR I can keep one or both bikes on the road by keeping plates & registration current and just telling my insurance carrier what months I want each to be insured.

In other words, keep your Ninja and buy an older, used (ALWAYS BUY USED MOTORCYCLES: there are almost always clean ones out there at 1/2 to 1/3 the original price) FJR, ST1100, ST3, etc.

You might even get lucky and find a Valkyrie Interstate!

Cheers!

Okay ... everyone's had their chance to talk about FJR, ST, etc.

Now let's talk about a real bike ... one that's sporty and tours. The Goldwing.

Yeah, the Wing.

IMG_1765a.jpg

And just to show you how utterly cool you can look with one, here's me in my full gear ...

Geek.jpg

Yeah, baby ... now that's cool.
banana2.gif

Ever try this on your goldwing Don? I think the sparks would show up well against new tarmac, your dark bike and dark pants!

GoldwingSparks.jpg

just too big and bulky for me at this point in my life. Yeah, i guess I could be 35 and touring on a wing, but I am more into the "sport" side of the touring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back