good place for pulley purchase?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting sick of my mongrel snowblower:

Toro 724 probably 20 years old. When I got it home I took the "small block" tecumseh 7 hp motor off and gave it to my FIL. He put it on his rototiller that suffered castatrophic engine damage. Used the tiller carb, pulley, air intake etc. Runs great for him.

I had a similar vintage toro 824 that blew the wheel transmission fairly dramatically, so I yanked the 8 hp "big block" tec motor off that, drilled two new mounting holes (out of 4), and put it to work.

However the finicky carb, nasty starter rope etc has me thinking of throwing in the towel and repowering with, gasp, chonda. Figure it should go easy since they stepped in when tecumseh with belly up. This are also internal politics with the wife; the rest of the blower is in good shape and I can say, see honey, it should start, it's 100% new.

Nice 6.5 hp horizontal shaft on sale at horrible freight, but it has a 3/4" output shaft. My "Big block" has an inch. The dual pulley on the end has a belt for wheel drive and another for the auger. My 1" pulley never needed to come off and fits the belts perfectly, so I figure it's fairly standard. My old 3/4 pulley is points unknown.

So... anyone know where I could get such a pulley? Should I be shopping under tecumseh part numbers or chonda ones? I found a small engine parts website but they want serial numbers off an engine series I don't have in my posession... Or maybe I could sleeve the pulley I have?

lol, I just did the EXACT same thing with my ariens 724. I got the pulleys from TSC. you might need to adjsut belt size down an inch or so but it worked.

get 2 pulleys and a long 3/16th key or use 2 keys and cut off the excess.

I even got the belt guard back on.

mcmaster has promise, if nothing else they have a sweet website organized for someone who barely knows what they're doing.

Well I ordered the engine so I'm going to have to figure something out, before spring haha. Mcmaster has it if I can't find something locally.

Their website is absolutely perfect for this.

I want to buy a pulley.

A drive pulley.

One that fits a keyed shaft.

a 3/4 inch shaft please

ok and takes a 1/2 belt

ooh different diameters, how could I raise heck with this?
lol.gif

I'm not sure how much you are looking to invest etc, but it would make life real easy for someone to make a adapter to press fit into your pulley to bring the size down from 1" to 3/4 with key slot of course... BUT that may cost more than the chonda depending on who you ask.. if you know of someone who has a lathe as a hobby etc it wouldn't be very hard at all.

I did see someone made an adaptor for 7/8 to an inch, of course they wanted $50 for it.

The next size up chonda had an inch shaft but was of course more than twice the money and 11 hp might shred my tender 7 hp chassis.

Put order in with mcmaster on thu night. No shipping price.

Get my invoice this morning at 9 am in email with UPS tracking. It's on the truck! Finally find out I'm paying a very reasonable $5 for shipping.

10 am, parts get here. Made in America. MERICA ROX!!!

DSCN7283.jpg

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Put order in with mcmaster on thu night. No shipping price.

Get my invoice this morning at 9 am in email with UPS tracking. It's on the truck! Finally find out I'm paying a very reasonable $5 for shipping.

10 am, parts get here. Made in America. MERICA ROX!!!

DSCN7283.jpg

same pulleys, same packaging that I got from TSC

Motor came, it's on. Quiet little bugger. Had to downsize belts by about an inch. Auto parts stores around here are all out of OPE belts so I got a standard black fan belt.
frown.gif

The tecumseh engine base plate was maybe 3/32" thick. Chonda was about 5/8" thick and I needed longer mounting bolts. Its oil drain plug is a few inches inboard so I have to about flip the whole thing on its side for a less messy drain. (Break in oil saw a few minutes of service.)

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Its oil drain plug is a few inches inboard so I have to about flip the whole thing on its side for a less messy drain. (Break in oil saw a few minutes of service.)

What kind of drain plug does it have? if it is a pipe plug you can add a short length of pipe and a pipe cap on the end to extend it.

on another note... +1 for Mcmaster Carr their website kicks @ss!

Last edited:
It looks like a regular thread, ie not tapered pipe, but I didn't spend a ton of time looking at it. Does have a washer under its head for sealing (pipe thread self seals). Drain bolt head has a 10mm hex on it; any pipe I could find would not be metric.

Though the way this winter's shaping up, I might have 50 hours on the thing before spring.
lol.gif

I appreciate having two oil fills and drains, one on each side, because they don't know how it's going to fit the machine it's on. An ATF funnel with long gooseneck would be handy for filling it too.

FYI:

Quote:
* Die cast pulleys are designed for fractional horsepower electric motor applications. These applications are light duty and vibration free.
* Steel pulleys are designed for multiple horsepower heavier applications. Steel pulleys are rated for use on electric motors and gasoline engines that have a horsepower rating from 1 H.P. to 18 H.P.

Originally Posted By: brianl703
FYI:

Quote:
* Die cast pulleys are designed for fractional horsepower electric motor applications. These applications are light duty and vibration free.
* Steel pulleys are designed for multiple horsepower heavier applications. Steel pulleys are rated for use on electric motors and gasoline engines that have a horsepower rating from 1 H.P. to 18 H.P.

This is an excellent point. Make sure that diecast pulley is under a guard. Probably should look for a steel pulley to replace it with.

Hmm, I was kinda wondering about that HP thing. Mcmaster wasn't clear about that before ordering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back