Good deal? Samsung Chromebook $159 refurb

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7655880&CatId=7330

2 GB ram, Chrome OS, 16GB SSD, All else prety much all could based. 2xUSB (one of thwm 3.0) and HDMI, no ethernet port, just wifi B/G/N.
Has good reviews.

refurb - 90 day warranty - all Google based.
but for simple browsing while traveling....? not bad i think.

I have no exp w/ Tiger Direct refurbs...risky?
Just seems like a great price, somehow..

Before I make an impulse buy, any feedback?

Not bad, but in my opinion a good android tablet is better for travel.

Have a samsung galaxy pro tablet and it works well, better than ipad in my opinion.

If you need a keyboard just buy a bluetooth one.

Don't know about Tiger but those are nice machines. I bought a new one for my friend and she loves it; It has a guest browsing method, just turn it on, in about 7 seconds you are browsing the web.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
Not bad, but in my opinion a good android tablet is better for travel.

Have a samsung galaxy pro tablet and it works well, better than ipad in my opinion.

If you need a keyboard just buy a bluetooth one.

I know - but the thing is, then I have 2 separate things I need to carry and the BT KB needs batteries, right?
The chromebook is more traditional (and I am too LOL) and it's all in one piece....

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
Originally Posted By: ClutchDisc
I would go with amazon, looks like you can get it cheaper there: Link

No it's $224 on amazon

That link I posted has them for about $149 used, and $166 refurb. I posted before I noticed that the one you posted was $159, not $199 like I first saw. I would still go with the one on amazon, I've gotten great customer service from them.

Not a bad deal for an 11.6" screen IMO. I paid more than that for a ~10" Asus a little over a year ago.

I've been buying from TigerDirect for many years.

I typically buy refurbs and never spend more than $300-400 on "new" notebooks, so ~$150 for a little guy like that is just right.

Don't know about the item itself but I've had no issues buying refurb electronics - I'm on a refurb laptop typing this.

I got a refurb compaq 6910p off newegg for $100 ish. Wanted a laptop with win 7 and all the new ones were chrome or win 8.
frown.gif

The battery was dead-diddely-dead but a new one was $17. As I used a $20 coupon code I didn't feel a need to turn it in under warranty.

Call me a square but I like a traditional HD and OS.

Seems pretty neat.

You could use it to view your photos and copy your SD card stuff to an external drive (for backup) while traveling.

The internal 16 GB SSD seems a bit small, but I guess if you're not going to be installing too many apps and not storing much stuff on it locally, then it should be sufficient.

eh...Thanks for the comments, guys.
After a lot pondering, could not find a reason to REALLY justify it, except having to share the Acer netbook with spouse during traveling, but she says she can do everything with her iphone...(which she does NOT always do...hmmm).

plagued by guilt, I decided not to buy it.
frown.gif

(she didn't say not to buy it or anything; that's not her; she just said get it if I can really find a use for it...And I felt like this is a WANT and not a NEED, so...)

Perhaps a used tablet or something on ebay... for less.? i must somehow get used to this tablet mentality.

I'm not against refurb's as long as the mfgr does the refurbing.

However, I have had bad juju with Tiger.
I am not exaggerating, everything I've bought from Tiger had to be RMA'd.
I bought a AMD mobo and cpu and a pair of memory modules.
I had to RMA the cpu with AMD, Tiger made me call AMD cuz I didn't get to the build for 6 weeks.
Everything was working ok. a few days later the mobo wouldn't fire up. I called the mobo people and I got a new one. Everything was working again.
I started to get the 3beep POST errors.. 1 bad ram module.
Another rma.
I bought a case from them too. THAT actualy was OK. Although 3 years later I had to replace the power supply.
All of this was supposed to be new and it was, but nothing seemed to want to stay working for me.
Today that cpu is in a box for the collection of cpu's I have.
the mobo started to act up, it wouldn't fire up as steadily as it used to. the ram was only 2 512mb, that's sitting in a box too. I can't trust it enough to sell it.

Just be aware.. you're better off paying a bit more for Amazon. They back whatever they sell, no matter what it is.

yeah this one is 3rd party refurb'd.
I am not getting it for now...

curious about Asus Transformer TF101 or whatever with keyboard dock...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back