Going to try the 3D printing business.

Owen Lucas

$100 Site Donor 2023
I have a few automotive accessory designs and ideas that I can commercialize on Etsy and eBay as a side gig but would like to have a larger portfolio.

Does anyone see a demand for a specific tool or product that could be 3D printed? Possibly a discontinued car part or tool. Just fishing for additional ideas. Printer capacity is 350mm x 350mm x 400mm (13.7in x 13.7in x 15.7in). I'm using a Creality Ender 5 Plus.

Not much more than a computer, about 450 watts. The servos barely use any electricity, the heated element and bed consume the most power. It's the time to print that gets you, not uncommon for some designs to take over 24 hours.

Best thing is when something happens part way into a print and you don't catch it and come home/wake up to the spaghetti monster on your print bed.

So far that's only happened once to me, I've usually had pretty good luck out of my Ender 3.

Both of my Sons have a 3D printer. They print all kind of stuff just for fun. There are a lot of plans on the Internet for all kind of stuff.

You might look into Marine parts if you have the ability to scan in a part and reproduce it. Their are many older boats were parts are no longer available and getting something to replace them involves great expense and fitting. Many times they have multiple fittings and several will be broken, you either replace with mismatched or replace all of them and nothing on a boat is cheap.

You might look into Marine parts if you have the ability to scan in a part and reproduce it. Their are many older boats were parts are no longer available and getting something to replace them involves great expense and fitting. Many times they have multiple fittings and several will be broken, you either replace with mismatched or replace all of them and nothing on a boat is cheap.
I guess I would have to check out a marine forum to know what parts are in demand. If it's an easy CAD design sure but if not then I'd have to get a lidar scanner...could be worth it though!

Back