going to start detailing my own car

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a professional detailer in the burbs of chicago.

I would recommend the following:
1. Remove bugs and Tar with a product like Stoners Tarminator
2. Clean wheels with Sonus Wheel Cleaner (iron remover)
3. Wash using the "Garry Dean Wash Method" You can clay during the wash.
4. Apply a single coat of a high quality sealant (I like Wolfgang Deep Gloss paint sealant 3.0)

I have found that multiple coats of sealant don't do much to add protection. However, if it helps you sleep better at night, go ahead and do it.

That will keep your paint protected and looking great and will only take about 60-90 minutes

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bowlofturtle

Yea, living in chicago. We get 4 seasons in a day. Its like it rains for 10 minutes every day in random areas. But the worst is the winter salts. You will never have a clean car from November- April. I will promise you that.

Well I live in an area that stays about 70 degrees all year round, had a car in my shop last that was from Chicago, I could not believe how much salt was in the carpets and what a PITA it was to remove, not being exposed to that type of stuff was an eye opener ; )

Originally Posted By: FastEddie
Originally Posted By: bowlofturtle

Yea, living in chicago. We get 4 seasons in a day. Its like it rains for 10 minutes every day in random areas. But the worst is the winter salts. You will never have a clean car from November- April. I will promise you that.

Well I live in an area that stays about 70 degrees all year round, had a car in my shop last that was from Chicago, I could not believe how much salt was in the carpets and what a PITA it was to remove, not being exposed to that type of stuff was an eye opener ; )

Yup, that is the NORM.

I watch videos of people removing exhaust in their driveways out in CA, FL and TX. And that will NEVER happen here in chicago, you will need to heat up least one bolt.

But back on topic. I just grabbed the HF polisher for $50 today! Now to get the backing plates and a few pads next.

Grabbing a 6 pack of lake country pads and backing plate. What color pads should i be getting? I have none right now.

I'm thinking 3 oranges, 2 whites and a blue. I'm just going to be doing a signal coat now to see how it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back