Going to give Amsoil 5W30 a shot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just found Amsoil 5W30 at my local Napa Auto Parts for $5.49 a quart.

I currently use Mobil 1 SuperSyn 5W30. I just want to give Amsoil a try and see how my engine runs and responds to it. What do you think about this?

My conservative plan is to run Amsoil for 7,500 miles and then do an analysis.

I've ran Mobil 1 5W30 for the life of the car and the car has aprox. 92 K on it. I've changed out the Mobil 1 every 3-4K like a wasteful dopehead until I found this board (Thanks for the info. folks).

Would I need an engine flush like Auto-RX before running the Amsoil? I wouldn't think so since my Honda Accord has seen synthetic for the life of the vehicle.

I think Amsoil will do a great job. I like there 5w-30 oil. It is compatible with M1 so no flush is needed however, don't go to far with it on the first run as I've been told. In all honesty, I don't think you will find too much of a difference with Amsoil over M1 but depending on your engine, you might. Good luck.

MinnesotaNole,

Which Amsoil are you going to try? There are different types.

I would get an UOA done before taking this oil to 7500 miles. It may work well and it may not.

good luck!

cheers.gif
patriot.gif

quote:

Originally posted by MinnesotaNole:
Just found Amsoil 5W30 at my local Napa Auto Parts for $5.49 a quart. I currently use Mobil 1 SuperSyn 5W30. I just want to give Amsoil a try and see how my engine runs and responds to it. What do you think about this?

I think you made a wise choice.
cool.gif

quote:

My conservative plan is to run Amsoil for 7,500 miles and then do an analysis.

Very conservative. I bet you'll be able to double that. Amsoil recommends 12 months / 25k miles on the oil using the Amsoil oil filter and changing the oil filter at 6 months / 12,500 miles.

quote:

Would I need an engine flush like Auto-RX before running the Amsoil? I wouldn't think so since my Honda Accord has seen synthetic for the life of the vehicle.

You really only need to use an engine flush when switching from a dino oil to a synthetic oil.

[ July 14, 2003, 10:00 PM: Message edited by: TexasTDI ]

Minnesota - even with only 92K and M1 you may be surprised what AutoRx will clean out of your piston grooves and the "top and bottom" sides of all your ring surfaces. (This IS the main feature of AutoRX IMHO). I agree you won't have and sludge or nasties in the pan.

I agree that you shouldn't push past 5-7K miles first go around. Thanks!

quote:

Very conservative. I bet you'll be able to double that. Amsoil recommends 12 months / 25k miles on the oil using the Amsoil oil filter and changing the oil filter at 6 months / 12,500 miles

Yes, that may be true but on here, we DO NOT recommend 12 month/25k miles on any oil blindly like that.That is nothing more than a bad sales ploy IMO as it has been proven in many amsoil analysis that it is seldom that the 25k oil drain would work out very well if at all. Of course there are a FEW minor exceptions. I think your conservitive plan is fine, particularly on the first go around with that oil as amsoil is a good oil and will provide you with good results. Just step it up after you run analysis. I'm sure that one of the Amsoil reps on here will be more than happy to show you how to achive the best results for your particular situation if you need some personal advise on it.

TDI, If you have any analysis where you've pushed the 25k drains on amsoil, I'd be interested to see just how well it has done. You can post the pic of your analysis so we can see all the numbers and any comments by the lab as well.

Also TDI,Not trying to beat up on you here and hopefully you'll gain a little more info and insite about how your statement about engine flushes when switching from dino to synth only, is incorrect. The idea of a flush isn't just to deal with slugde, but to also neutralize nitration/acids left behind from the prev oil and to reduce the uptake of the new oils tbn to reduce the left over residue. This is also why you shouldn't switch over and try extending drains right off the bat as it will be trying to overtake the other oil as you well know much is left through out the engine and cannot be removed just by draining, so, a shorter oil drain is recommended to help flush out the prev oil.

[ July 14, 2003, 10:18 PM: Message edited by: BOBISTHEOILGUY ]

well if you do decide to use some auto-rx, don't use it with your amsoil, use a good dino with auto-rx first, then go to amsoil.

I use amsoil SAE 10W30 ATM.

Mobil 1 does a very good job of keeping engines clean, so there is no need to flush. Both oils use a similiar PAO/Ester basestock blend, so they are compatible in that respect also.

A 7500 mile change interval should be very conservative, but short trip driving in cold weather is the most severe test of any oil. I would not expect you to have any problem in this particular application. Honda engines tend to be very clean burning ....

TooSlick

I am wondering why so many people have never heard of Amsoil. I discovered Amsoil and have heard some good things about the fluids - especially here. I know about Redline, Royal Purple, Lucas, etc, just not Amsoil. I was wondering why Amsoil doesn't care to dominate and make millions of $$$$ a year --- become a household name like Mobil1?. Please enlighten me, Thanks,

quote:

Originally posted by red2rebel:
I was wondering why Amsoil doesn't care to dominate and make millions of $$$$ a year --- become a household name like Mobil1?. Please enlighten me, Thanks,

Ha, I feel it is because the owner is tied to amarketing plan (individual dealers via a multi level marketing model) that does not lend itself to mass mechandising and placing the product in every retail store. Perhaps it is his way of maintaining control. However, RedLine, is no different and Schaeffers is somewhat different but very hard to find without contacting a dealer in lieu of a retail store.

My question for the board is this.

Is there any major advantage to running Amsoil over Mobil 1 for 7500 mile intervals?

What is the gap b/w the two oils?

quote:

My question for the board is this.

Is there any major advantage to running Amsoil over Mobil 1 for 7500 mile intervals?

What is the gap b/w the two oils?

The only way to find out is to run one then the other and get an Used Oil Analysis done each time.

To be more precise you might want to do 2 intervals with each, try to run them the same distance and get the used oil looked at. FWIW I'd wager they are within spitting distance of each other.

You certainly won't harm your vehicle with either one. Try an UOA @ 5000 with both then 7500. Who knows, maybe one can be pushed further.

cheers.gif
patriot.gif

[ July 15, 2003, 10:20 PM: Message edited by: GSV ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back