Going slightly over OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2017 Subaru Outback 2.5i

Last oil change was with Subaru 0W20 synthetic with a Subaru filter. Current oil change is the same. I finally got a Fumoto valve installed so I will start doing my own oil changes(36/36 warranty is up).

I am not sure if it's just in my head or if the engine was actually running rough after 5900 miles on the oil. Engine seemed to idle quieter and smoother after the oil change.

This makes me wonder if Subaru oil is only designed up to 6k like their cars are rated at, or is the oil over engineered like M1 for 10/15/20k OCIs? I'm want to keep the engine protected Incase I'm ever in a pinch and need to go 500-1000 miles over.

The only time I've went over 6k was when I was using royal purple and Mobil 1 filter, and it was only 80 miles. I did not notice the engine running "rough" then. Engine has just started to burn some oil at 36k. About 1/2 quart every 1500 miles. I plan on using valvoline syn power or Mobil 1 extended performance next.

Last edited:
LOL Its likely in your head. All 0W20s are synthetic and good for 10K in a daily driver. I'm sure the oil is a bit thinner at 6000 miles but its about as thin as it will get. You could go out to 10K if you wanted to with no ill effects so 100 - 1000 miles over the OCI is no problem at all.

Think like an engineer. If the engine would chew through all the oils lubrication ability at 6000 miles, how soon would you tell the customer to run before change it? not 6000 miles. For a critical thing like oil its a 100% safety factor so 12000 miles would be the "limit" under standard operating conditions.

Any good synthetic would do. The subaru dealer might have put in a conventional 5W20 instead of 0W20. That would change more over a 6000 OCI run. with a name brand 0W20 oil (Pennzoil, QS, Mobil, Valvoline, Castrol, etc) you should have no problem.

Could have been your subaru filter as well. if the anti-drainback valve leaks then the startups will sound rougher. A good ADBV is a must for quiet starts.

I know with Chrysler it says to follow the OLM and to change within 800km (500 miles) of the message coming on so I assume there is some buffer in there for folks to schedule an appointment if not using a quick lube place sort of thing. Also in case the engine has some slight issue stressing the oil more than the OLM can account for etc.

Going slightly over, especially on a quality oil is a non-issue IMO.

All Subarus come with 6K recommended OCI's because some are direct injection or turbo and require that OCI. Up until a few years ago (pre-DI) the OCI was 7500 miles. If you are burning a quart every 3000 miles you need to have your dealer run an oil consumption test, because that is well above the norm and you have a problem. If repair are required they should be covered under your 5/60 powertrain or 8/80 emissions warranty, with a small deductible.

Originally Posted by NO2
All Subarus come with 6K recommended OCI's because some are direct injection or turbo and require that OCI. Up until a few years ago (pre-DI) the OCI was 7500 miles. If you are burning a quart every 3000 miles you need to have your dealer run an oil consumption test, because that is well above the norm and you have a problem. If repair are required they should be covered under your 5/60 powertrain or 8/80 emissions warranty, with a small deductible.

I'd say the most common newer cars to consume oil are Eurojunk and Subarus. It's a daily occurence for a newer Subaru to come into the parts store and the owner either walks up to the counter and asks what kind of oil they need or they are repeat customers who already know exactly where the oil is and know that it takes 0w-20 because this isn't the first time they have added a quart between changes.

My aunt has a 2015 Impreza and it too burns oil. About one quart between the dealer changes (7.5k miles? I don't remember) which is a little disappointing for a new car but it doesn't seem like a problem tbh. Her 02 Corolla burned about a quart every tank of gas so this is a huge improvement LOL. I always make sure my aunt is stocked up with a decent 0w-20 just because I don't want her buying some junk at a gas station.

I do find it funny that my Escape with almost 100K and my Silverado with almost 300K don't consume any oil between changes. The old Chevy does blow a puff of smoke upon startup but the oil level doesn't go down between changes noticeably so far (though I don't drive it much).

Last edited:
That's funny, but we actually own a couple of Subarus and they don't use enough oil that you'd even see it during an OCI.
These aren't the aunt's, the aunt's neighbor's son's nor anything other than ours.
Too much second and third hand anecdote posted on here by some.

Originally Posted by PimTac
How many miles on the odometer?

Just passed 36k.

I don't think I was parking on a completely flat surface last time I checked the oil. Which is why I'm not too concerned yet. But whenever the dealer does the change they overfill it by about 1/2 quart. I checked before and after a 1200 mile interstate trip and I was down maybe 1/4" on the dip stick.

The only time I may have been rough on the engine was this past summer when I took a 9 hour trip, in 105°F temps, AC cranked up, thru the mountains in eastern TN. I was on royal purple/M1 filter. The oil was clear and dripping like water when I checked it mid trip. But Subaru only recommends 0w20 on these newer engines. I was told by my mechanic to only run what's recommended last time I switched from 0w20 to 5w30 on my Honda and caused a valve sensor to go bad

5w30 caused a valve sensor go bad? Hmmmm highly doubtful. I've run 40 grades in Honda's from the 80's to now. The only thing I can see is the variable cylinder activates slightly less on 40 which to me is a good thing.

I would be running a 10w30 or a 0w/5w/10w/15w — 40 in 105F.

BTW, my mechanic also tells me that I am crazy by running 5w30 up to 15w40 in the Mazda skyactiv 2.5L. I showed him the international oil recommendations from Mazda and he was stunned.

Last edited:
Why would you need to run a higher weight of oil in hot temperatures? The engine will be the same temperature inside whether it's 105F or 45F.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back