Going rate for servicing ATVs?

I work a full-time job in IT, but run a small engine business on the side. Lately I've been getting more ATVs from friends/family to work on, as local dealers have either closed or have a 4+ month wait for even simple services. A dealer told one of my customers that they are only working on snowmobiles right now due to the season.

Anyone have an idea of what to charge per hour for labor on an ATV? Obviously some of them are a bear to work on compared to say a snowblower or lawn mower since much more needs to come apart to do maintenance and repairs.

The local dealers only respond with "stop by for an estimate" when inquiring about service. For reference, the local small engine shop charges $150 for a basic snowblower tune-up, not including parts. I do $125 for oil, spark plug, greasing, checking gearbox/shear pins, tire pressure and belts.

The real question is, are you capable of adjusting shim under bucket valves?
If so, do you have a shim kit on hand?
Are you going to charge less per hour, but take more time making it cost more for the customer than a competent dealer would otherwise charge?

You're rate sounds reasonable to me. There is definitely a demand for the type of work you're doing. My friends generate enough lawn mower type work to keep me entertained if I want something to do, and I recently bought an ATV that had been "serviced" by someone that had no clue what they were doing. Skyactiv's question is a valid one. I'd say the more items you stock and the quicker you can turn a repair the more you can charge. I know for me if I was to try to do it as a job I'd be waiting for everything to be shipped to me after I did a diagnosis.

The real question is, are you capable of adjusting shim under bucket valves?
If so, do you have a shim kit on hand?
Are you going to charge less per hour, but take more time making it cost more for the customer than a competent dealer would otherwise charge?
I am, although I don't have a shim kit on hand at the moment.

Yes, I'd be charging less per hour knowing that it will take longer. Most of the machines I'm working on are older farm ATVs or ATVs for kids, and the owners are just frustrated that they cannot find anyone to even do a simple fluid change on it without having the thing for 3 months. Yesterday I did brakes, oil change, and valve adjustment on a friend's son's Honda 400EX, but had no idea what to charge him. Most customers are family/friends or through word of mouth.

You're rate sounds reasonable to me. There is definitely a demand for the type of work you're doing. My friends generate enough lawn mower type work to keep me entertained if I want something to do, and I recently bought an ATV that had been "serviced" by someone that had no clue what they were doing. Skyactiv's question is a valid one. I'd say the more items you stock and the quicker you can turn a repair the more you can charge. I know for me if I was to try to do it as a job I'd be waiting for everything to be shipped to me after I did a diagnosis.
Yeah I really don't do it as a job, more of a hobby. I don't keep a ton of parts on hand even for small engine stuff. I'll buy oil and stuff in larger containers like 5 gallon buckets if I find a good deal on it.

Most of the time someone will tell me they have a machine, I diagnose it if it has an issue, then order parts. Turn around time is usually a week or two depending on when I get parts and have time.

I charge per the job when I do home auto/equipment repairs for people. I’m not on the clock and do it when I feel like. I charge a lot less than a dealer. Old motorcycle/atv/ jet skis are easy enough where you can make money and keep the customer happy.

I would acquire some type of insurance if you start servicing non-family/friends.
Whether you caused it or not, if something were to happen to a quad after your service, it's possible the client could take legal action.

When my wife and I owned a shop, we had a million dollar policy, which is overkill for atv's, but likely commonplace for a repair shop these days.

You know what your free time is worth, charge accordingly. I do my own and have saved thousands over the years.

Back