go green or Dexcool?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My '95 chevy truck needs the lower rad hose replaced, and I'm not sure if I should go old green AF or a Dexcool clone like Super-Tech. I had assumed it had originally come with plain green, as it's a '95. It had green Dexcool in it when I bought it, with no sludge at all, so I flushed it and refilled with new Dex. I was going to use old green this time when I saw the small sticker on the overflow tank that said use GM6277M orange coolant. Should I flush it and go green, or just stick with the Dexcool clones that it's been using for the last 10+ years at least?

'96 was the first year Dexcool was used in the trucks, and there were major problems with lower intake manifold gaskets and coolant leaks. Bad gaskets that were incompatible with Dexcool. I wouldn't risk it with earlier year gaskets. I would flush it well, and not use Dex or a Dex clone. Hopefully no damage has been done. If you want to use a long life coolant, I'd recommend Zerex G-05, which is what I use in my '97 5.7 truck (that had bad LIM gaskets caused by Dexcool).

Dex-Clone/Cool would be my choice, provided the cooling system is clean, and a new Stant rad cap and Fel-Pro PermaDryPlus IMGs are installed.

If you want to switch over to conventional silicated and phosphated green, you need to do a very through process of flushing and rinsing.

I see no reason why you can't just do a proper flush and then refill with a standard 50/50 mix using Super Tech or another similar Dex Clone.

Heck, while you're at it, you might also consider something like Peak Global Charge or Rotella ELC. As long as you're doing a full and proper flush beforehand, you can't go wrong with either, and they're all relatively easy to find, and cheap.

Originally Posted By: ArrestMeRedZ
'96 was the first year Dexcool was used in the trucks, and there were major problems with lower intake manifold gaskets and coolant leaks. Bad gaskets that were incompatible with Dexcool. I wouldn't risk it with earlier year gaskets. I would flush it well, and not use Dex or a Dex clone. Hopefully no damage has been done. If you want to use a long life coolant, I'd recommend Zerex G-05, which is what I use in my '97 5.7 truck (that had bad LIM gaskets caused by Dexcool).

Any reason the overflow tank would have the "use GM6277 orange coolant"? That's what threw me off. I'm almost positive it's the original overflow tank.

Originally Posted By: umungus1122

Any reason the overflow tank would have the "use GM6277 orange coolant"? That's what threw me off. I'm almost positive it's the original overflow tank.

Is it a sticker or is it embossed? They could have swapped it to Dex while it was in for service, and putting a sticker that says "put dex in me plz" is exactly the sort of thing I could see a dealership doing in the mid 90s when most vehicles still used green.

It had Dex then more Dex trouble free? I suppose it could take renewed Dex.

Is G-05 a direct substitute?

Current "green" is pale lime soda compared to the bright florescent "green" of yesteryear.

Is it the same chemically?

Yes, it's a sticker on the tank. Yep, no gasket failures for the 10 years I've had it with the Dex in it.

Last edited:
I was under the impression that dex was bad in open cooling systems that have overflows, but ok in closed systems that have an expansion tank? I've been running Dex in my VW for about 2 years now with no issues.

Quite a few 1995 truck models were born with Dexcool, The LIM gasket on '96-'02 Vortec engines are a flawed design, While OAT coolant didn't help the situation......It sure wasn't THE cause.

Running conventional green coolant didn't make the original design gaskets last any longer. Plastic carrier gaskets with thin beads of silicone between dissimilar metals, Throw in a few thousand head cycles.....Equals failure!
The LSx based truck engine have failure prone gaskets of the same design & don't come in contact with Dexcool.

A 1995 TBI engine will have steel core composite intake manifold gaskets.

Dexcool is a excellent coolant!!

"Green" coolant in the Saab 900ng for 10 plus years with anti-rust and boosters . ... . I will swear by this anti-rust additive ! NEVER any kind of cooling system problem ..Closed cooling systems are wonderful ! As good as Dex-Cool may be, I'd never do this with DexCool.. OR G-05 ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back