GM Vortec 4.2L inline 6?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow... after reading thooks' post I'm wondering if he got a Monday morning car or something. Our TrailBlazer (non EXT) isn't excessively loud at all. The motor's a little noisy at startup, but once it runs for about a minute it quiets right down. It's a marked improvement over the old 4.3 V6. Our routinely gets mid-20's on the highway, and that's usually no cruise and me trying to get somewhere as quickly as possible. The worst I did was 19, but that was pulling a fully-loaded trailer in somewhat hilly conditions.

As for handling, I believe that for a full-ish size SUV it handles well. Again, drive an S10 Blazer for comparison - it's absolute rubbish. It also feels more confident in the corners than any Explorer or Durango I've driven.

I still can't believe I'm posting this, normally I love hating the General, but that TrailBlazer really has been good for us over the last 4 years.

quote:

Originally posted by VTEC01EX:
..I believe that for a full-ish size SUV it handles well. Again, drive an S10 Blazer for comparison - it's absolute rubbish. It also feels more confident in the corners than any Explorer or Durango I've driven..

Agreed. GM went to coil springs all the way around, as opposed to the front torsion bars they typically used on the lighter 4x4's. Ride is a matter of personal taste, but my TB is the smoothest riding SUV/ligt truck I've owned.

Joel

"Wow... after reading thooks' post I'm wondering if he got a Monday morning car or something."

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

I'm sorry thooks, but I just busted up when I read that.
cheers.gif

I just went and re-read my last post, and I just want to clarify that I think it's entirely possible - even likely - that thooks' Trailblazer is a total ***. I've had generally bad luck with GM products from all of the lines (cars and trucks), but this TB hasn't let me down yet. I just didn't want to come across like some know it all who was accusing someone of making up his story.

The reason that the 4200 seems like a slug compared to the 5300 is because they are mated to the same dang tranny and gear ratios. As such, the torquier engine will always seem more powerful. If the 4200 had a standard higher final drive to take advantage of the higher power peak, the performance may be simular. Or even better, how about an automatic made by GM with more than 4 gears in the line up. Shame on GM and their blasted bean counters. Yet another shining example of why things are the way they are.

If I was buying new, I'd get the Explorer with the V8 and new 6 speed auto. That thing hauls butt. It also gets 15/21 without the need for crappy cylinder cut out techniques.

No worries.

We are free of the Frankenstein. I doubt it was a "Monday" vehicle. Like I said, due to my severe disappointment in the thing, I would ask pretty much every person I knew that had one and even people I didn't know and question them about it.

Granted, most of the ones satisfied with theirs had never had a Full-size GM vehicle (Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe, etc.) and were Women. My wife's only complaint about it was the horrific fuel mileage.

As for the people that were familiar with the 5.3L engine and 350 in a Truck or Suburban, they were as disappointed as me.

One friend still has his Envoy XL with the I-6 and has the same complaints as I did. Wind noise, HVAC noise, no power, no torque, etc. And his listed for almost $10k more than our LS Trailblazer.

Sorry folks, but even GM knows this thing is a dud. They are closing the plant in OKC that makes them. They have dropped the price on the things TWICE. The re-sale value is like a hot rock.

Even the service writer at the dealership has confidentially told me that they are junk. There are so many recalls on them it isn't even funny.

There is no "hate" from me concerning GM's engines, especially the 5.3L. But the 4.2 I-6 is a joke.

The 3.42 rear gear we had would be some of the culprit concerning the constant downshifting. The poster that mentioned that is confused. A lower gear would decrease the downshifting.

Yes, I am bashing the Trailblazer EXT and the 4.2L I-6. I have every right to. I lost a great deal of money in mine. I will voice my opinion on it every chance I get. I begged and begged the local dealership to take the thing from me and work me a deal on a Tahoe or Suburban. They refused. They knew I was a very unsatisfied customer and one that had bought 4 vehicles from them in the short 9 years that I have lived here.

Sorry for the constant rant, but each and every one of you would do the same thing if you were in my position.

I drove a GMC Envoy on a long trip and was happy to get back to my 4Runner. The Envoy's 6 cylinder was noisy and downshifted sometimes when running along with the flow of traffic. There was a lot of wind noise and it rattled a lot on a bumpy road. The owner also complaigns about little problems but does say that every time he takes it to the dealer, he gets a good loaner. I think his next SUV will have a V8.

JTK,

Most of my references are made to the Frankenstein, the Trailblazer EXT (and Envoy XL). And that XUV thing? You-gee-ell-why. UGLY.

Hehee.. good point thooks. The stretch and funky x-over versions are not easy on the eyes! Even the short TB's arent all that sexy. It takes color and wheel combo's to make'em look ok. I miss my 2002 rodeo for that reason. It was a nice looking little truck. IIRC- same goes for the exploder and durango these days, UGLY! Although the exploder for 2006 looks pretty decent from the front. IMHO- it's silly to buy any domestic brand-new, no matter what it is. I got 2005 TB LS 4x4 for $17900 vs. ~$26K new!
G/luck
Joel

I have to agree that the 5.3L is a lot torquier than the 4.2, even though the power numbers are similar. I've driven both and while I didn't see the same problems with the 4.2 as thooks in terms of noise, etc., there's a noticable difference in power.

Also, to the poster who mentioned the crappy cylinder cutoff technologies, have you driven a vehicle with this? I have. You don't notice that it's working and you end up with significantly better highway MPG. How is that crappy?

Its really no surprise that a 5.3L engine makes more torque than a 4.2L.

All else being equal, displacement = torque.

IMHO the Vortec I-6 is a fantastic engine. I'd like to see a better home for it, like the Solstice...but they are going the turbo route with that vehicle.

Don't knock a good motor just because you don't like the vehicle its in.
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by robbobster:
Its really no surprise that a 5.3L engine makes more torque than a 4.2L.

All else being equal, displacement = torque.

Don't knock a good motor just because you don't like the vehicle its in.
cheers.gif

I totally agree!

My 03 TB has been trouble free since new. I don't get the loud wind noise as mine is quiet as a mouse inside. The ride quality is fantastic IMO due to the Bilstein shocks. It all comes down to personal preference anyway. Mine has the 3.42 gearing and it does need at least 3.73s minimum as it is a dog until 3K+rpms. Pretty much the same with any DOHC engine I have ever driven.

quote:

Originally posted by thooks:
.. Sorry folks, but even GM knows this thing is a dud. They are closing the plant in OKC that makes them. They have dropped the price on the things TWICE. The re-sale value is like a hot rock..

Don't mean to disappoint
rolleyes.gif
, but the OKC plant that is 'closing' makes the extended WB TB and the XUV version. The short WB TB's are still in production.

Joel

Drive my Titan with best in class low end torque and more power to the ground than the Dodge Hemi. I think your perception of DOHC will change. It's all about the execution.

I can't wait to see what the new Toyota 5.7 does when it comes out. I'm sure it will beat the Dodge and Chevy in reliability like the current 4.7L does. Ford has a good thing with the Triton, but it still needs a little kick.

FYI, the Titans we own seems to consistantly get 1-2 mpg better than the Ford and Chevy we own.

quote:

Originally posted by tamu_man:
I can't wait to see what the new Toyota 5.7 does when it comes out. I'm sure it will beat the Dodge and Chevy in reliability like the current 4.7L does. Ford has a good thing with the Triton, but it still needs a little kick.

FYI, the Titans we own seems to consistantly get 1-2 mpg better than the Fords and Chevys we own.

We've got an '03 TB EXT with the 4.2L and love it. The handling is not great, though. The gas mileage is around 17 or 18 combined. I'm always surprised to see the bad reviews from auto writers. I have a feeling that some of it is pro-imported car bias. Haven't noticed the loudness that thooks did. Sorry to hear that he had such a bad time with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back