GM Synchromesh

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by George Cooper:
Installation of this fluid will clog synchronizer rings, and create reliability problems."

I would like to know how it clogs synchro rings? I mean, the T56 "is a synchromesh transmission". The GM syncromesh fluid (part#12345349 anyways) is for synchromesh transmissions, hence the name of it
rolleyes.gif
If A = B and B = C, then A = C.
Who is the well respected C5 Corvette mechanic by the way?

I have a 2002 SS, shifted like crap from day 1 compared to the 1999 SS I had. I've run D4ATF in my 1999 before I sold it, and it shifted ok with it but I wasn't impressed. But on the 2002, I ran synchromesh for a little bit, about 2k miles, and have to say that fluid made it shift 200% better compared to everything I've tried thus far. I'm sorry I drained it out. Running castol dexron3 atf currently, nothing to brag about. At least it works. Still deciding whether I want to try the redline mtl first, or go back to the synchromesh fluid, before the cold weather comes.

I know a guy via email from over at the LS1 forum, name is "talonis", who has a 1998 Camaro that has been running synchromesh since April'ish and put about 3k miles on it since I last talked to him in June. He had nothing but good things to say and no problems to report. And because his is a '98 he most likely has the synchro's with the material (graphite?) notorious for coming apart when the wrong tranny fluid is used. Sometime in 1999, TTC (told me over the phone) is when they upgraded the synchro material to the carbon something or other which is more durable and less likely to be affected. So from all the info I've come across, albeit the internet and email mostly, I'd have to say synchromesh #12345349 should pose no problems in any synchromesh tranny. I'll have to look into the fully synthetic synchromesh everybody's been mentioning next time i'm at the dealer (which is hopefully never
grin.gif
)

I would like to see the source of the quote, supposedly from Tremac: "We feel that if you wanted to use the GM Synchromesh, we do not see an issue ..." I've checked out the TTC website and there is no mention of that. I've also heard claims if you call GM customer service and ask this question they will say the #12345349 is ok to use in the T56, but until I hear that firsthand...

[ August 28, 2003, 12:49 PM: Message edited by: 1 FMF ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back