GM OLM, how many use it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coming to think about it, I wonder what percentage of GM vehicles are actually serviced per the OLM. Of the GM dealerships I've been to here in Northern California, all of them continue to push the 3-month/3,000 mi oil change, with the exception of the HUMMER dealership.

Rental fleets service their vehicles on a distance based interval to make maintenance stops more predictable, Hertz for instance, does their's every 5000 miles. And I understand that government fleets operate in a similar manner.

Given the high number of GM vehicles being sold to such fleets, of the remaining "individual" owners, does anyone know how many of them actually follow the OLM?

My female cousin used the OLM on her Montana. Soccer-mom driving, it went off about every 2500+ miles.

Some goverment fleets may but Were my dad works their Gov Jeep Cherokee's get 1 year oil changes(15K) changes on whatever oil is cheapest at the time.

I reset it at every oil change, but I don't let it tell me when it's time to change.
grin.gif

met a guy at work last week who has a gm vehicle with an OLM, he said when he went in for his first oil change the lube person told him to ignore it and do his oil every 3k, so that is what he does, he told me he ignores it and has his oil changed at the quik lube every 3k

For the first 40,000 miles on my camaro I've done 3,000mi oil changes.

I recently went to synthetic oil however and am trying the OLM + UOA approach. I will see how well Synpower holds up to the OLM. I will not run it over 7000 miles though before drain/fill since I would like new oil in my car for winter
smile.gif

So far, 4500 miles and rolling just fine. My 2002 camaro has a 7500 mile limit on the OLM, holds 5quarts of oil, and Im running the bigger PF52 filter.

I follow mine. Actually, I go longer than it suggests! The OLM in my 98 Corvette is calibrated for a maximum interval of 10k, but in 2001 they adjusted it to 15k. So the 98 monitor actually counts down too fast.

I find mine hits the zero mark around 7k, but I have gone further than this a number of times now. I just reset the monitor and keep going.

I use it on my SAAB 9-3. I was changing the oil at 50%, but after a lot of research on the OLM and reading UOAs here, I'm following it now.

quote:

Originally posted by The Critic:
..Rental fleets service their vehicles on a distance based interval to make maintenance stops more predictable, Hertz for instance, does their's every 5000 miles. And I understand that government fleets operate in a similar manner..

With a fleet type vehicle you'd have the possibility of one of the many 'operators' resetting the OLM. I did this by mistake on my 2005 trailblazer some time ago. I had the key on (engine not running) and was pressing the gas pedal to hear what the electronic throttle sounded like. Oh I heard it.. and then saw my change oil soon light reset! Mash the go pedal 3x is all it takes!
pat.gif

Joel

^^^ To reset the 2006 OLM you push both buttons on the computer at the same time w/engine off and key turned on. Haven't tried mashing the gas but not mentioned in the owners manual.

quote:

Originally posted by MC5W20:
met a guy at work last week who has a gm vehicle with an OLM, he said when he went in for his first oil change the lube person told him to ignore it and do his oil every 3k, so that is what he does, he told me he ignores it and has his oil changed at the quik lube every 3k

I wonder why a lube guy would tell him 3000 oci?? Maybe more money? Na they wouldn't ever do that, would they?

quote:

Originally posted by cousincletus:
^^^ To reset the 2006 OLM you push both buttons on the computer at the same time w/engine off and key turned on. Haven't tried mashing the gas but not mentioned in the owners manual.

The lesser trim packages like my 'spartan' LS dont have the dash computer, only a dash icon (idiot light). You do the mash and release to reset those.

Joel

quote:

Originally posted by babyjay8495:

quote:

Originally posted by MC5W20:

I wonder why a lube guy would tell him 3000 oci?? Maybe more money? Na they wouldn't ever do that, would they?

Well, if you believe what the lube guy said ( I don't ) he was told that its dusty and hot, so the OLM was useless and not designed for these types of conditions. I personally believe it was to get him in there more to make money off him. I have heard a lot of GM dealers advocate the 3k change and tell their customers to do 3k changes, of course that is at the quik lube lane at the dealer also.
lol.gif

My 2006 Honda Ridgeline has an OLM, the first one I ever had in a vehicle. I've read a lot about it, how it calculates the oil life expectancy, what factors are used, how it asesses penalties for things like short trips, etc. It is calibrated for dino rather than synthetic. I use Havoline dino in the recommended weight of 5w20. I bought the truck in May 2005 and the service due notice came on at close to 6000 miles. This time around looks to be about the same or slightly more. I have a little over 11,000 miles on it now and it shows between 20-30% oil life expectancy.

From all I've read I feel this is a very good way to determine when your oil should be changed for normal driving habits. In fact, test results show it is one of the more accurate methods. Going by a certain number of months or every certain number of miles is arbitrary and makes no sense whatsoever if you have an OLM on your vehicle (and before this I changed oil every 5,000 miles no matter what).

Having said all this, I still want extra insurance. Therefore, I always use LC20 for a little oil boost (along with FP60 for my gas). I also intend to have a UOA of my next drain just to be sure this contraption is not lying to me. If the test analysis comes back in synch with the OLM, I'll follow it from now on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back