GM fuel pressure regulator - which one to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi
I own a FIAT Punto cabrio 1.6l 1995, fuel injection system was designed by GM.
I'm not 100% sure it's the problem, but starting the car takes too long.

I'm looking for a fuel pressure regulator, I replaced mine a while back off an old Chevrolet Cavalier and it fits.

Mine looks like this:

67i1qc.jpg

Which one would be the best quality to get?
STANDARD SMP, BORG WARNER BWD, AC DELCO, DELPHI, AIRTEX, WELLS

Are there differences between the black/gold/silver ACDELCO ones?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fuel-Injection-P...=item19d654b7f0

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fuel-Injection-P...=item19d654ca4c

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fuel-Injection-P...=item19d654cc5c

It looks the same item.
However, I couldn't find any info about them - bar pressure or anything else.

Standard & Borg Warner are the same company/product. They have two different grades. Sometimes the same part in the box just different warranties.

Airtex & Wells are the same company/product.

AC Delco doesn't make anything. They are a reboxer; could be anyones in the box.

Delphi is a base manufacturer. We have the best luck with their FP regs at work.

Dave

That looks just like the one I just replaced on my 94 Corvette LT1. I used a Standard Motor Products one from Rockauto and it worked fine and produced the correct fuel pressure at the rail according to my gauge.

Originally Posted By: bmod305
Standard & Borg Warner are the same company/product. They have two different grades. Sometimes the same part in the box just different warranties.

Airtex & Wells are the same company/product.

AC Delco doesn't make anything. They are a reboxer; could be anyones in the box.

Delphi is a base manufacturer. We have the best luck with their FP regs at work.

Dave

All true and excellent facts!

I have found on ebay:

PR286, PR234, PR92T, PR216T, PR105T etc.

All look the same item.
How do I know which one to buy? there's no specs

Just checked on Autodata for my car
It says:

Fuel system pressure: 3bar +-0.2
System pressure regulated with vacuum - 2.5bar +-0.2

So I guess I need a 2.5bar regulator?

anyone?
Can't find any info about how much fuel pressure is going thru those regulators.
How can I check?

I'm not 100% sure if this procedure is correct, but it sounds like what you are asked to do is:
1. connect a fuel pressure gauge to the fuel system.
2. connect a hand operated vacuum pump to the vacuum nipple on the fuel pressure regulator.
3. turn the ignition key to the on position, but do not crank the engine.
4. When no vacuum is applied, you should have 3 bar +/- .2
5. Apply vacuum, and see if pressure drops to 2.5 bar +/- .2

Hopefully the fuel pressure regulator is the cause. If your fuel pump isn't creating the correct fuel pressure, you will have to spend more time and money to replace it.

Another thing that may be happening is a clogged fuel filter. Those are usually not difficult to replace and not expensive. However, some cars use only a sock wrapped around the fuel pump, and that is unlikely to clog.

I would recommend doing some basic troubleshooting before replacing the regulator. Get a fuel pressure tester and attach to the test port. Then start and run the car. Check fuel pressure running- make a note of it. The disconnect the vacuum line and see if it responds accordingly. If these specs compare favorably to the specs for your car, then shut the engine off, but DO NOT remove the gauge. Next just watch the gauge. It should still indicate (within a few pounds/kpa) the correct pressure. If it drops off more than a few lbs/kpa, even after several hours, then that is likely your problem. To confirm, cycle the key several times prior to starting the engine. If it fires easily, then you know for sure that low fuel pressure at start up is the issue. This can be caused by a defective check valve at the pump, defective pump, leaking lines or leaking fuel injectors.

There are other things that can cause hard starting or an extended crank situation, but this addresses the regulator and fuel pump, since you're wanting to replace the reg.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back