GM fluid alternatives

I have a 2018 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4 (5.3L V8, 8 speed transmission) with 76k on the odometer. No drive train fluids have ever been changed. I would like to replace the front diff, rear diff, transfer case, and transmission fluid. Looking at the owner's manual, here is what they recommend:

Automatic Transmission (8-Speed Transmission) = DEXRON-HP Automatic Transmission Fluid (GM Part No. 19331925)

Front Axle (Four-Wheel Drive) = SAE 75W-90 Synthetic Axle Lubricant (GM Part No. 88900401)

Rear Axle (1500 Series) = SAE 75W-85 Synthetic Axle Lubricant (GM Part No. 19300457)

Transfer Case (Four-Wheel Drive) = DEXRON-VI Automatic Transmission Fluid

Question: Are the GM fluids perfectly fine to run or are there offerings from a different manufacturer that are significantly better than GM's fluids?

I'd stick with HP and DEX VI, especially if you're still under warranty. The VI is readily available and very cost effective. You can get a gallon from Amazon for about $24. SAE 75W-90 and 85 are also available and any synthetic brand that meets the spec will do. I'll let others chime in on the benefits of Maxlife ATF and the savings of $5.

Do not use the GM Dexron ATF in your 8 speed. It will cause torque converter shudder. GM now installs Mobil 1 LV ATF (Blue label) in all 8 speeds:
Engineering notes:
PART NO 19331925. FLUID. WILL BE REPLACED BY FLUID. PART NO 19353429. PLEASE REFER TO PARTS WORKBENCH FOR LATEST PART ORDERING INFORMATION AND AVAILABILITY
19353429 - MOBIL 1 SYNTHETIC LV ATF HP TRANSMISSION FLUID - 1 QUART CONTAINER

GM Part No.: 19331925

Fluid,Automatic Transmission Synth Lv Dexron Hp Acdelco 12X1Qt
Part DescriptionFLUID,A/TRANS 32.0 OZ
Other NameStandard Parts
ManufacturerGM. This genuine GM part is guaranteed by GM's factory warranty.
Manufacturer's NotesThis part is discontinued. It is no longer available for purchase.

I'd stick with HP and DEX VI, especially if you're still under warranty. The VI is readily available and very cost effective. You can get a gallon from Amazon for about $24. SAE 75W-90 and 85 are also available and any synthetic brand that meets the spec will do. I'll let others chime in on the benefits of Maxlife ATF and the savings of $5.
DO NOT USE Dex VI in the 8 speed! See my post above.

The gotcha with GM rear axles - if it’s the G80 RPO, there’s debate if friction modifier has to added.

If it was my truck, I’d follow that GM advice. I’d use Dex-VI or MaxLife in the t-case(it doesn’t call for an esoteric fluid) and a good synthetic 75W-90 unless I was towing. Then a 75W-140 wouldn’t be out of the question.

I have used Delvac 1 75W90 in a 2010, 2017 and 2018 GM locker - that’s all I use in the rear.
Have used Mobil 1, Valvoline, and Delo ESI in the front …

When I did mine, I found Autozone carrys Chevron Delo 75W-90 for a great price. It’s a full Syn that doesn’t have any friction modifiers in it. I put it in my rear with the G80 and my front as well. It’s working great so far!

When I did mine, I found Autozone carrys Chevron Delo 75W-90 for a great price. It’s a full Syn that doesn’t have any friction modifiers in it. I put it in my rear with the G80 and my front as well. It’s working great so far!
My AZ has been on/off stocking Delo synthetic (used it before) - so the Delo ESI (semi) that I recently put in my Rubicon came from Walmart.com … It’s actually an 80W90 … pretty stable stuff …

My AZ has been on/off stocking Delo synthetic (used it before) - so the Delo ESI (semi) that I recently put in my Rubicon came from Walmart.com … It’s actually an 80W90 … pretty stable stuff …
I ordered it online and it shipped for free to the house. Not one near me carrys it in store.

I ordered it online and it shipped for free to the house. Not one near me carrys it in store.
I did my rear diff last week and was going to order the Delo from Autozone , but it's out of stock online. So I went with Mobil 1 they had in the store. Diff fluid is one the things that's been hard to get lately. None of my local walmarts are carrying Super Tech diff fluids.

I have a 2018 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4 (5.3L V8, 8 speed transmission) with 76k on the odometer. No drive train fluids have ever been changed. I would like to replace the front diff, rear diff, transfer case, and transmission fluid. Looking at the owner's manual, here is what they recommend:

Automatic Transmission (8-Speed Transmission) = DEXRON-HP Automatic Transmission Fluid (GM Part No. 19331925)

Front Axle (Four-Wheel Drive) = SAE 75W-90 Synthetic Axle Lubricant (GM Part No. 88900401)

Rear Axle (1500 Series) = SAE 75W-85 Synthetic Axle Lubricant (GM Part No. 19300457)

Transfer Case (Four-Wheel Drive) = DEXRON-VI Automatic Transmission Fluid

Question: Are the GM fluids perfectly fine to run or are there offerings from a different manufacturer that are significantly better than GM's fluids?

Would it be ok to put the higher quality MOBIL 1 SYNTHETIC LV ATF HP in the transfer case as well? I have a 2021 colorado and it has the awd feature…was going to order the good recommended stuff for my transmission and wondered if its ok to just throw the same stuff in the transfer case?

I have a 2014 CTS Limited 3.6 AWD. Can I assume it does not need a limited slip additive in rear dif? It also looks like AC-Delco 75-90 10-4016 synthetic is the proper oil. Would appreciate confirmation. [at 80 I don't get too many chances to screw up anymore]

I have a 2014 CTS Limited 3.6 AWD. Can I assume it does not need a limited slip additive in rear dif? It also looks like AC-Delco 75-90 10-4016 synthetic is the proper oil. Would appreciate confirmation. [at 80 I don't get too many chances to screw up anymore]
We for some reason are having hard time getting diff. gear oil. My manual specs are confusing for CTS AWD. Does anyone know if AWD has limited slip rear axle? I have SuperTech 75-90 GL-5 synthetic available . The label mentions good for Limited Slip Posi Traction. Is that OK to use? Appreciate any help.

If it was mine I would run Valvoline 75w 90 in the front and the rear it has friction modifier in it.
Valvoline dex v1 in transfer case.
Transmission no clue with all there problems.
Screenshot_20230425_194015_Walmart.jpg

Thank you. Part of my concern has to do with this limited slip on an CTS AWD and whether a mention of it on both Valvoline and Supertech would create an issue. The SuperTech states on bottle ""Formulated for multi purpose, extreme pressure applications, including conventional differentials, gear boxes, limited slip rear axles". and ends with "can be used for total replacement and makeup of Limited Slip Positive Traction rear axles. "It seems, on quick search, that every synthetic I find mentions some limited slip additive including Valvoline. I thought a limited slip additive was a separate bottle. ?? Frustrating issue. Appreciate the help.

Thank you. Part of my concern has to do with this limited slip on an CTS AWD and whether a mention of it on both Valvoline and Supertech would create an issue. The SuperTech states on bottle ""Formulated for multi purpose, extreme pressure applications, including conventional differentials, gear boxes, limited slip rear axles". and ends with "can be used for total replacement and makeup of Limited Slip Positive Traction rear axles. "It seems, on quick search, that every synthetic I find mentions some limited slip additive including Valvoline. I thought a limited slip additive was a separate bottle. ?? Frustrating issue. Appreciate the help.
I am going to assume 95% you have limited slip and need a LS GEAR LUBE OF 75w90…for the diffs is most probable. The transmission is totally different of course and depending if you had the shutter issue tranny or even not you may need a total flush with the special mobil1 gm specified fluid.

Back