GM 5.3 Ecotec L84D

Currently own a 2024 GMC Sierra 1500 with a L84D 5.3 with DFM. I'm just curious what's the fuel dilution like on these direct injected 5.3? I'm most likely going to stick with the OLM interval 5-7.5k mile OCI. I usually run extended OCI on my vehicles but most newer DI make it impossible. My 21 outback gets 4-5% in as little as 3k miles. If they don't have dilution issues I may go to my usual 10-12k annual Amsoil signature/ filter oil change. Not many UOA on 2019+ 5.3 to make a decision.

I seem to recall seeing someone that did some long Amsoil runs on them and I didn't like what I seen in the UOA, there was notable increase in viscosity despite high fuel dillution, which means the oil undergone a lot of oxidative thickening, I would stick to short reasonable intervals with a mid priced oil on a DI engine.

I seem to recall seeing someone that did some long Amsoil runs on them and I didn't like what I seen in the UOA, there was notable increase in viscosity despite high fuel dillution, which means the oil undergone a lot of oxidative thickening, I would stick to short reasonable intervals with a mid priced oil on a DI engine.
How long of a run? Typically the GM D.I. Engines don't have a huge problem with that. I do my DI GM engine at 4000 to 5000 with no issue. Remains to be seen on my 6.6 which is basically a larger version of the engine OP listed.

How long of a run? Typically the GM D.I. Engines don't have a huge problem with that. I do my DI GM engine at 4000 to 5000 with no issue. Remains to be seen on my 6.6 which is basically a larger version of the engine OP listed.
Any UOA on your engine? Really trying to see if there is major fuel dilution that would prevent longer OCI.

Any UOA on your engine? Really trying to see if there is major fuel dilution that would prevent longer OCI.
It is a 2.0 Malibu, not sure it will help much. I just have not heard of a huge dilution problem on the D.I. trucks. I have seen 6.6 UOAs with no issue. My 24 is only at 1000 miles so no UOA yrs

2012 Impala direct fuel injection was 5k for 100k on Pennzoil Platium and used little bit of oil. As mileage got higher oil changes got less with pcv valve. Valvoline Advanced Full Synthetic 10-12k 3/4 qt loss of oil at 180k. If any indicator of gm direct fuel injection I wouldn't worry.

Back